318 Stroker Build

-
I dont think that is the best book out there imo! I have it and has some info but not alot of in depth detail. If your looking for a step by step stroker build look elsewhere.
That's a HR magazine article for a 400 horse 318. I have a couple Small block books and one stroker book. Yep.

That's a HR magazine article for a 400 horse 318. I have a couple Small block books and one stroker book. Yep.
Oh sorry Mike I thought it was the how to hotrod a small block mopar book by Larry Sheppard. I saw someone recommending it.

stroker book.jpg
Oh sorry Mike I thought it was the how to hotrod a small block mopar book by Larry Sheppard. I saw someone recommending it.
Yep, I have that one too. Probably the best stroker book. Jim is a Engineer for Chrysler Corp.

And tons of torque.

i agree,I know of a few 408's with x or j heads and decent cams that don't get near 300 hp at the rear wheels but make a lot of torque.A stroked 318 will have to be well built to get 300 hp at the rear wheels.
I could be wrong but i don't think 440's got 300 hp at the rear wheels.

i agree,I know of a few 408's with x or j heads and decent cams that don't get near 300 hp at the rear wheels but make a lot of torque.A stroked 318 will have to be well built to get 300 hp at the rear wheels.
I could be wrong but i don't think 440's got 300 hp at the rear wheels.
Strokers need big air in, big air out. Heads are the key. I DD'd a 390 with a mild aluminum intake and HP exhaust manifolds. A low duration/500 lift cam and got 350 horse and 450+ torque. You can build them to the max or fairly mild with good results.

Last edited:
normal stroke is 3.31, your adding .69 inches so your piston is going to travel .345 inches higher in the bore. youll need pistons that are ~.345 shorter in compression height. Here are 2 pistons, one is stock, one is a stroker, see the difference? a stock piston on a stroked crank will hit the head. On a ultra low compression 318, its almost ossible to run a .060 head gasket and make it work, but it would be close and of course you'd probably pop the top compression ring.
View attachment 1715254085
Damn, did the math on a blueprint 9.60 deck block and those 399's will only be .128 out of the hole (dome only) on a 4.00 stroke crank..Really? Can someone confirm that? Skirts would be more of an issue unless the stroker crank has shorter counterweights. Bore notching for the rod nuts is a gives as even the 4.00 needed a little kiss with stock rods and a 4.00. Check your piston height with those pistons in your 318 and tell us how deep in the hole they actually sit with a caliper to the top of the dome. Interesting......
6.123 rod
1.655 stroke off cl (half of 3.31) <<WRONG STROKE>>>
1.810 compression height
0.140 dome
- 0.060 head gasket
----------------------
-9.600 deck
----------------------
+ .068 out of the gasket. if the dome fit the chamber.....Get some big cc 360 heads...

Last edited:
Damn, did the math on a blueprint 9.60 deck block and those 399's will only be .128 out of the hole (dome only) on a 4.00 stroke crank..Really? Can someone confirm that? Skirts would be more of an issue unless the stroker crank has shorter counterweights. Bore notching for the rod nuts is a gives as even the 4.00 needed a little kiss with stock rods and a 4.00. Check your piston height with those pistons in your 318 and tell us how deep in the hole they actually sit with a caliper to the top of the dome. Interesting......
6.123 rod
1.655 stroke off cl (half of 3.31)
1.810 compression height
0.140 dome
- 0.060 head gasket
----------------------
-9.600 deck
----------------------
+ .068 out of the gasket. if the dome fit the chamber.....Get some big cc 360 heads...
Mmmmmm... not what I get. I show the CH being .333" above deck and the dome even higher. I just fit a 4" stroke crank in small block and the stock height pistons stuck out around that far, with no dome.

Not a viable plan, IMHO.

With the OP's pistons, then it works out to 9.6 SCR with stock 318 heads (675's) and standard Felpro head gaskets. If he changed to the 360 heads, and changed to the Mr Gasket 1121G head gaskets, then he would maintain that nice 9.6 SCR, and have the better head breathing he needs to get to 300+ HP.

Using EQ heads would push the SCR waaaaay up into the 11:1 SCR range, and that will not work with a cam that will give a smooth idle. So one of the factory open chamber heads with 72-73 cc chambers looks like the ticket IMHO. A cam like the Voodoo 10200703, with a 271 advertised duration, would give a DCR of 7.8. That seems like pretty good territory for this app. I think the OP will hit 300+ HP easy-peasy.

Mmmmmm... not what I get. I show the CH being .333" above deck and the dome even higher. I just fit a 4" stroke crank in small block and the stock height pistons stuck out around that far, with no dome.

Not a viable plan, IMHO.
WTF? I used a stock crank!!! :BangHead: no wonder it didnt sound right....

WTF? I used a stock crank!!! :BangHead: no wonder it didnt sound right....
Lol I figured it up too and our numbers wasnt matching. The icon pistons are the way to go with a 4 inch imo.
I agree with nm9stheham a 360 head would be the way to go here.

Not to mention it takes alot of work to fit those 2.02 valves on a 318 those heads would not simply bolt on.

That has been discussed infinite times... :)
You have good gas available in Austria (Super?) so you can aim a little higher --> 9.5-ish?
But it also very much depends on the chosen cam and your skills in tuning (ignition).
I'll let the experts chime in.

The 9.5 + or - range for CR is good for a small cam that will have a smooth idle. Either of the heads listed above will be 62 cc chambers and that will raise the CR to 11:1 and that is far, far too high for a small cam with a smooth idle.

OP, can you find or get some of the factory heads for a 360? Or is it difficult to get those original parts in Austria? Is it hard or costly to get some shipped from the USA?

Actually it is not that hard to get some stock parts here because most of the people are tuning their rides anyway.

What are the main differences between 318 and 360 heads?

-
Back