318 stroker build

-

replicaracer43

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Just in case people get the idea that I'm a 318 "hater" I wanted to share this stroker build that I've been working on. The idea with this engine in a mild, daily driver engine, with emphasis on torque. This engine will be going into a 1950 dodge 1/2 ton, which is a cool truck all ready. The customer had a good 5.2 magnum block, so that's what it's based on. Scat 4" crank, Scat I beam floating rods, icon dished stroker pistons. Speedmaster heads with a touch up on the valve job, minor bowl blending, topped with a air gap intake. Block is bored and honed, rotating assembly is balanced, so now we are file fitting the rings...pictures to come, enjoy!

20210615_185342.jpg

20210615_185225.jpg

20210615_185534.jpg

The cam is a comp hyd roller provided by the customer, I'll have to check the cam card tomorrow and report back...

It will be a screamer if HP is the goal ! Somebody on this site has one in a 3600 lbs Volare and it goes high 10's

Just in case people get the idea that I'm a 318 "hater" I wanted to share this stroker build that I've been working on. The idea with this engine in a mild, daily driver engine, with emphasis on torque. This engine will be going into a 1950 dodge 1/2 ton, which is a cool truck all ready. The customer had a good 5.2 magnum block, so that's what it's based on. Scat 4" crank, Scat I beam floating rods, icon dished stroker pistons. Speedmaster heads with a touch up on the valve job, minor bowl blending, topped with a air gap intake. Block is bored and honed, rotating assembly is balanced, so now we are file fitting the rings...pictures to come, enjoy!

View attachment 1715752011

View attachment 1715752012

View attachment 1715752014
Thanks for letting us tag along.

Good info, because in my parts you can't give away a 318. I had one from my '63 that ran as sweet as you could expect any engine to run and couldn't sell it for any price. Wound up hauling it to the scrap yard for peanuts. :(

So the cam for this build was also supplied by the customer, and it is a comp hyd roller, 218/224 @.050 with .534/.534 lift... not very big, but should make good torque!

Good info, because in my parts you can't give away a 318. I had one from my '63 that ran as sweet as you could expect any engine to run and couldn't sell it for any price. Wound up hauling it to the scrap yard for peanuts. :(
who is going to hoard and stock plie em? I have one sitting that I may never use...that is the main reason I wont take another one for free, i dont want it sitting around taking up space...

So the cam for this build was also supplied by the customer, and it is a comp hyd roller, 218/224 @.050 with .534/.534 lift... not very big, but should make good torque!
I like that cam in this engine, especially for the vehicle it's going in.....

View attachment 1715752011

View attachment 1715752012

View attachment 1715752014

Hater!

JUST KIDDING!!!!!
This is cool. Small cam. It should make a tree puller out of that 390. Looking forward to the build. I’m going to goggle what that truck looks like.

So, was able to put a little more time in on it today, got the rings file fitted, and all the shiny new pistons and rods installed, everything torqued down, should go faster from this point on!

Well, messing with the 318 stroker, and a few things are becoming clear....while the speedmaster heads are a pretty nice casting, we are definitely going to have to do some work on them, specifically, the rocker saddles are milled incorrect, I am going to need to remachine the saddles with a 7/8" ball mill, because the shafts dont sit properly, and then we are going to need to relocate the rocker shafts with a correction kit from @B3RE, the PRW rockers are too close to the valve, and too low....along with milling the pushrod tunnels for clearance...more pictures to come! Stay tuned!

Oh yes! Please do! Pictures for this would be stupid awesome for sure.

Would you happen to have a picture of the rocker body too close to the valve? And where the tip sits?

Love it. The 390 stroker was one of the first strokers years ago, that and the 451.

I love the 318 I am wanting to do a 390 for a upcoming project I have been looking at the scat balanced kits. Im following this thanks for sharing!

Well, messing with the 318 stroker, and a few things are becoming clear....while the speedmaster heads are a pretty nice casting, we are definitely going to have to do some work on them, specifically, the rocker saddles are milled incorrect, I am going to need to remachine the saddles with a 7/8" ball mill, because the shafts dont sit properly, and then we are going to need to relocate the rocker shafts with a correction kit from @B3RE, the PRW rockers are too close to the valve, and too low....along with milling the pushrod tunnels for clearance...more pictures to come! Stay tuned!

Write all that mess down......I know "somebody" :) who has a set that will probably need the same thing done!

Ok, so had a little time today to work on the speedmaster heads for the 318/390 project. So the first issue I was talking about is the fact that the rocker saddles are not properly machined for the shafts to sit and be supported, it looks like the chinaman used a 3/4 ball mill, rather than a 7/8 to match the shaft. Takes a bit of work to get the head dialed in on the mill, we start by indicating the head along the intake surface to make sure it's dead straight to the spindle...

20210705_161000.jpg

Almost forgot, here is a picture of the issue, although it's hard to photograph on a phone, but you can see the gap around the rocker shaft if you look close. People are running these heads this way, but it puts a lot of stress on the hold down bolts, and they can break from the fatigue of flexing around, especially with bigger spring loads and aggressive camshaft profiles

20210705_160106.jpg

-
Back