318 stroker

-

matts69Dart

Reaction score
Hey, I am a long time lurker on here, love the valuable info, and have finally come around to needing a questions answered. I asked this over on Moparts, but since I am not in the "clique", getting an answer is next to impossible. So here goes:
I am throwing around the idea of putting together a stroked 318/390. Before you say 360, I already have a 72 318 and figure I can save money by starting with it. Here is my plan:
40 over 318
eagle 4 inch cast crank
eagle SIR rods
Diamond 10.3 to 1 pistons
Edelbrock heads
Lunati Voodoo 268 cam
Dual plane intake
750 holley vac secondary

Is this a streetable combination? Will it hold together fine? I don't plan on turning it more than 6000 rpms. I have always run big blocks, so I am new to the small block world. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of this setup? Thanks in advance, Matt

Pro's and Con's huh? Whew! Alot can be writin on that topic and strokers. People will scream "Rod ratio" and thrust surface wear. But I really don't think your into the sci. of it are you?

My biggest con on strokers is price.

My biggest pro to strokers is bigger the better, more the merrier.

Con on the build is the Edel. heads are just about enuff to feed a 360 nicely. The 390 with the smallish cam could probably do well with some prep work on the heads and possible bowl porting if the wallet has it.

I think this combo is super streetable with tons of torque. Though you'll make peak power before 6000 for sure.

Thanks Rumblefish. This is the kind of info I have been looking for. The cost is not too much of a problem as I gave my lil bro my 11 sec big block for his 64 Savoy project and he is funding my stroker. I am trying not to take advantage of him

I would run the next size larger cam. The 268 will not be enough IMO for that combo. Otherwise, looks ok to me.

Id be interested in hearing what other slugs might be available for Matts combo?

Im running a 349 stroker atm...and am thinking about the next stage to get a deep 12 to keep up with my 360/416 buddies!

You don't plan on turning it more than 6000 rpms.

But,
]You Will!!:burnout:

Good Combo!

The Dart -Nº1,2.jpg

The Lunati cam is stout for it advertised duration.

Keith Black does make a forged piston for this combo, however, they only give about 9.4 compression with the Edelbrock heads. Summit sells them, but they are not in their online catalog. I looked them up online. I won't be starting this build until this Fall, but am getting excited already. Matt

The 318 behaves much the same as the 340 with comparable heads when built and/or stroked. Just slightly down on power due to the smaller bore (less cid and a little less head flow). So whatever works for the other guys with 340's stroked or not will apply to your engine as well.

Eddy heads in my opinion are a lil too big for your 390, I would actually use a 302 head that has been worked over by a good cylinder head guy. You wouldnt lose compression that much with the 302 heads as you would with the Eddys either, only downfalls are its an iron cylinder head and compression would be limited to 10-11 to 1 depending on cam choice and such. Good luck with your build, I wanted to do one but got 2 360s instead haha.

matts69Dart said:
Keith Black does make a forged piston for this combo, however, they only give about 9.4 compression with the Edelbrock heads. Summit sells them, but they are not in their online catalog. I looked them up online. I won't be starting this build until this Fall, but am getting excited already. Matt

Thanks Matt, got a part number?

MM

BoredandStroked said:
Eddy heads in my opinion are a lil too big for your 390, I would actually use a 302 head that has been worked over by a good cylinder head guy. You wouldnt lose compression that much with the 302 heads as you would with the Eddys either, only downfalls are its an iron cylinder head and compression would be limited to 10-11 to 1 depending on cam choice and such. Good luck with your build, I wanted to do one but got 2 360s instead haha.

The Edel heads, IMO are actually OK for street and mild strip at best at this 390 cube level. If it is a 318 bore/ 360 crank combo, the heads will be excellent.
The 302 fully ported and opened up are the iron headed route I would do first for "LA" heads.

My feeling is a set of LA big port (340/360) heads would be a great match for a 390 that was built mild. Maybe a set of Magnums might be even better. Edelbrocks would work fine, but are perhaps a little overkill for a mild street engine.

I'm with ya Moper. Combo dependent it allways is.

MM, try this link. It is Keith Blacks website.

http://kb-silvolite.com/forged.php?action=search&mfg=CHRYSLER&EngSize=390&RodLen=6.123

Think you may have to cut and paste.

Pertaining to heads...I have a set of 340 X heads right now sitting on top of a ventilated 340. My original intention was to rebuild the 340. It is the numbers matching engine for my Dart. When I opened it up, there were three holes in three cylinders. Looks like it froze at some time in its life before I got the car. The heads seem to be fine though. So what type of work would I need to make the X heads work? I was considering the Edelbrocks for expense purposes. I can get a new set for around 1100.00. Matt

Those "X" heads can be good for 12's as they are. Going faster is possible without porting, but you may not like what needs to be done to the car or the combo needed to do 11's for the street.
Anywork on the head should be no more than things like stainless steel valves and a good valev job. HP like cutting of the seats. That's it.

1100 is pretty cheap for new heads. A set ready to drop on for me is about $1400 after they are taken apart, corrected as needed, and put back. You will have more into the X heads than edelbrocks if they get done right. Unleaded seats, new guides, new valves, performance 5 angle valve job, springs, seals, retainers, and locks will run over $1200 at most places I know of.

This is the reasoning behind the Edelbrocks. I figure I will come out money ahead. I work part-time in an auto parts store, so I can get the heads a bit cheaper. I got a set of BB Edelbrocks for my brother for until 1000.00.
Back to the cam. Some have said it is too small, while others like my choice. Since this is going to be primarily a street car, is there anything wrong with the Lunati Voodoo 268 cam? Running twelves would be fine with me right now, so I am not looking for a maxed out race car. Thanks, Matt

My question is why would you say that he will loose compression with eddies over 302's, when eddies have a 63cc chamber, right? 302's are smaller? smaller runner's too, I should think, and with 390 ci wouldn't eddies outflow the 302's? And, hey, Matt, great combo, that voodoo cam ain't like the old 268h, there's alot more going on there, and I think you'l be pleasantly suprised. It won't sound as rumpity as I like mine, but it will PULL and the mid-upper is nice to feel too. The new technology available in cam profiles is only getting better, and lunati has the money behind it to find out what works. I ran a lunati 230 480 in a 67 coronet w/360 and it was awesome, back in 95. Good luck!

-
Back