318 - Thoughts on these Heads/Engine

-

RichardR

Reaction score
Hi all,
I picked up a 318-3 for free yesterday and was told it came out of a pickup. The first picture is of the casting and it's a 78 casted block. It has
4027593 heads but I noticed that the intake had an extra nipple to it for, I'm guessing, to heat up the carb. Would these be those odd heads without the exhaust crossover and instead the water? Seems to have a normal timing cover and exhaust manifold bolting.

PXL_20210814_212640973.jpg

PXL_20210815_195825356.jpg

PXL_20210815_195815892.jpg

If it's truly a 318-3 engine and not a 318-1, I would save everything but the heads and intake. The water crossover type heads don't fit anything but the 318-3 engine. Same with the intake. The 318-3 heads use 18mm tapered seat spark plug.....like a lot of Ford engines......and have sodium filled valves. More than likely it has a forged crank though, so that's a plus.

If it's truly a 318-3 engine and not a 318-1, I would save everything but the heads and intake. The water crossover type heads don't fit anything but the 318-3 engine. Same with the intake. The 318-3 heads use 18mm tapered seat spark plug.....like a lot of Ford engines......and have sodium filled valves. More than likely it has a forged crank though, so that's a plus.

Oh geeze, I just realized the -3 is cut off lol. The plugs were fat but i believe they were 3/4 inch long on the threads. I thought the heads were the run of the mill heads , then I saw that intake and was like wow.

If you're talking about a -3 after the block casting number, that is not the designation for the industrial 318. That is just a code used at the forge to indicate the number of changes made to the block casting mold. A true 318-3 is for industrial use, like motorhomes, 1 1/2 ton trucks and bigger, some marine engines, and other industrial uses. 318-1 engines were for cars and pickups up to 1 ton.

If you're talking about a -3 after the block casting number, that is not the designation for the industrial 318. That is just a code used at the forge to indicate the number of changes made to the block casting mold. A true 318-3 is for industrial use, like motorhomes, 1 1/2 ton trucks and bigger, some marine engines, and other industrial uses. 318-1 engines were for cars and pickups up to 1 ton.

I see. Well the casting shows 318-3 and is was out of a pickup and has that mysterious extra nipple on the intake ‍♂️. If the heads do take water, can those be tapped and plugged and a new intake put in?

Nope, no decent way to do it. It would be the same as trying to plug and exhaust port. What are you going to use to do it?

How in the world can we possibly know? You didn't bother to include pictures of the INTAKE side of the heads.

My understanding of the dash numbers is simply how many times a certain mold was used. I don't think that has a thing to do with what engine it was, or what it came out of. I've seen the so called heavy duty truck -3 thing before, but I don't think that's right. The best way to tell is number one, the number on the block on the driver's side just under the cylinder head. THAT'S how you tell what came out of what and what's what. And number two, TAKE BETTER PICTURES if you want our help!

I see. Well the casting shows 318-3 and is was out of a pickup and has that mysterious extra nipple on the intake ‍♂️. If the heads do take water, can those be tapped and plugged and a new intake put in?

How do we know? You've not included ANY pictures by which we can form an opinion.

A better close-up photo of the carb and intake might help. They did make some water choke carbs on some applications. Those aren't the same as a water crossover.

I'm seeing a vacuum amplifier, so, I have my doubts that it's a 318-3 engine.

Not industrial. That's a standard passenger car/light truck engine.

See how easy that was?

-3 could have been a casting revision, the 'cell' number (they cast many at a time), etc. The one pictured looks to be a standard 318. Clean it, build it, run it. It'll take and standard LA intake. If you drop the pan and the throws are not squared off, good chance its forged but not likely in 78.

-3 could have been a casting revision, the 'cell' number (they cast many at a time), etc. The one pictured looks to be a standard 318. Clean it, build it, run it. It'll take and standard LA intake. If you drop the pan and the throws are not squared off, good chance its forged but not likely in 78.

Couldda been if it was a manual transmission. It's not impossible. I had a virgin.....I said virgin 77 400 with a gorgeous standard steel crank that came out of a W200.

Looks like a heater hose to me, just in a different spot than we're used to.

That sure looks like a car engine mount, car driver side exhaust manifold and a car oil pan. Wasn't out of a truck.

-
Back