318 to 340, 904 trans.

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everybody:

I'm switching to a 340 from a 318 with a 904. Do I need to change anything in the 904 like the torque converter?

Hi everybody:

I'm switching to a 340 from a 318 with a 904. Do I need to change anything in the 904 like the torque converter?
Nope,both internal balanced,but I would look into a 2500 stall and a Trans-Go 2 shift kit.It,ll wake the 340 right up.Just my 2 cents.

What year 340?? You do know some are externally balanced and need the correct torque converter.

And the 904 should be able to handle a 420 hp 340?

Is it

Option 1: the original 904 that's 40 yrs. old and never been touched or is it

Option 2: rebuilt with quality parts and a good shift improver kit?

If it's option 1, no, it won't last long

If it's option 2, yes it should if it was done right

Is it

Option 1: the original 904 that's 40 yrs. old and never been touched or is it

Option 2: rebuilt with quality parts and a good shift improver kit?

If it's option 1, no, it won't last long

If it's option 2, yes it should if it was done right

1. It's the original just rebuilt. 1969
2. I'm not sure I told him a 340 was going into it and ask him to beef it up if he could so I'll ask him again what he did to it next time I see him.

Many racers are running a 904, if it's in good shape, you should be OK. Advantage in your case is you won't have to have a new driveshaft made, or get a new slip yoke.

Other than possibly converter balance, "it's a bolt in."

My recollection is you will have to "washer" one (two) bolts on the left side engine bracket. Not a biggie as I recall.

1. It's the original just rebuilt. 1969
2. I'm not sure I told him a 340 was going into it and ask him to beef it up if he could so I'll ask him again what he did to it next time I see him.

Ok. As long as it was done right and a decent shift kit such as a trans-go TF-2 was installed it'll be fine.

Many racers are running a 904, if it's in good shape, you should be OK. Advantage in your case is you won't have to have a new driveshaft made, or get a new slip yoke.

Other than possibly converter balance, "it's a bolt in."

My recollection is you will have to "washer" one (two) bolts on the left side engine bracket. Not a biggie as I recall.

That's right one side is narrower. This is a 360 but I think 340s are the same. I'm going to get some schumacher mounts I think rather than putting washers in.

Attachments

• 360_Motor_mounts.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 261
I have a 340 attached to a 904 w a stock torque converter and a Trans Go TF2 shift kit
It shifts hard and crisp when you step into it. But it would probably be even better if I had a set of 3:55 gears. The TF2 was a moderately difficult install since the instructions are a bit vague. not sure in the end it was worth the time and expense. I was just as happy with the stock 904 shift points.

as for the externally balanced 340 and how to mount it up to your stock torque converter, please take a look at the thread and pics I posted about just that.

www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=145464

best of luck. Godspeed

Keni

You can buy the one metal mount for the driver side 340 from schumacher seperately if you have good rubber mounts. They don't advertise it, but it is available.

Ok I'll check it out. My 340's a 70 so I hear I won't have to bother with anything. They guys at the shop will know. One is a Mopar guy who use to race a Duster.

-
Back