318 to 360 questions

-

petek

Reaction score
hello. I am in the middle of a engine swap ( 74 318 to a 98 360 ) . my question is will the oil pan from the 318 fit on the 360? ( 24 year difference ) also what about the pick up tube? the 360 is out of 98 ram 1500. the 360 is completely rebuilt except for the pan, don't want to pull the 318 yet because it still runs fine. just looking for more power.

No oil pans will not swap between a 318 and 360 because the 360 has a larger main bearing size. You will have to find a CAR oil pan for your 360 because the truck oil pan has the sump in the wrong spot for a car. Other than the oil pan and left side motor mount being slightly wider than the one for the 318, it should bolt right in.

I gave krazykudya thanks in both threads.
Since the OP titled it "question" I'll jump in with this.
I was just reading yesterday.
Is this saying that 318 and 360 intakes are not always interchangeable?
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/4bbl.html
If so, that is news to me.
I've pulled factory four barrel intakes off of 360s and put them on 318s with no problems.
Some 318 with 318 heads. And an 86 cop 318 which I think has 360 heads.
If what he is saying is that it will work, but not well ......never mind.

"Smog is a concern for some of us, not for others, but there are some things that can be done without too much worry. For starters, we have to remember that the 34/360 have better breathing heads with larger ports AND larger combustion chambers. The amount of shaving to get them down to the 318 size, so as not to lose compression (takes it down to about 7:1 vice 8.5:1). An old favorite, and extremely helpful thing to do is have 1.88 valves from a stock 360 installed. There is a requirement to tulip the intake port to do this, but the small amount of work is well worth the effort and money. This also prevents having to change out the intake manifold to fit. If you do go with the stock 360 heads, you have to stick with a 360 intake, for the 340/360 heads and 318 intake do not match, and vice versa. "

don't forget the internally/externally balanced engine. will need a new torque converter or balanced flex plate

I gave krazykudya thanks in both threads.
Since the OP titled it "question" I'll jump in with this.
I was just reading yesterday.
Is this saying that 318 and 360 intakes are not always interchangeable?
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/4bbl.html
If so, that is news to me.
I've pulled factory four barrel intakes off of 360s and put them on 318s with no problems.
Some 318 with 318 heads. And an 86 cop 318 which I think has 360 heads.
If what he is saying is that it will work, but not well ......never mind.

"Smog is a concern for some of us, not for others, but there are some things that can be done without too much worry. For starters, we have to remember that the 34/360 have better breathing heads with larger ports AND larger combustion chambers. The amount of shaving to get them down to the 318 size, so as not to lose compression (takes it down to about 7:1 vice 8.5:1). An old favorite, and extremely helpful thing to do is have 1.88 valves from a stock 360 installed. There is a requirement to tulip the intake port to do this, but the small amount of work is well worth the effort and money. This also prevents having to change out the intake manifold to fit. If you do go with the stock 360 heads, you have to stick with a 360 intake, for the 340/360 heads and 318 intake do not match, and vice versa. "

Thanks for the "thanks" and one back at ya... :thumblef:

Yes, intakes for all small block LA engines are interchangeable EXCEPT for the 64-65 273 that had smaller intake manifold bolts and at a different angle.... :sad2:

The intakes will bolt on to the heads. The smaller engine 273/318 heads have smaller ports than the larger 340/360 heads. Some people like to chase every last hp and try to match the large port heads and intakes together for the most efficient flow. It is not a deal breaker, just a few extra hp for those that need it.... :-k

Physically, they will fit and function, you and argue about the port matching until the cows come home.... :blackeye: :boxing:

don't forget the internally/externally balanced engine. will need a new torque converter or balanced flex plate

And the left engine mount is a different width from 318 to 360. You will need to get the proper engine mount.

I am almost through the process of changing out my 318 to a brand new 360. I ran in to so many problems, I will tell you that the oil pan was one of the largest problems I had because of the control arms on my 65 barracuda. I am not sure if someone makes a pan for the 360/car you need, but with mine, we had to have someone take a brand new 360 oil pan, and custom design it to fit my car. It was difficult but we finally got it done. IF you have any other questions about what I have been through, feel free to PM message me.

Where??? I still don't see it... :scratch:

No oil pans will not swap between a 318 and 360 because the 360 has a larger main bearing size. You will have to find a CAR oil pan for your 360 because the truck oil pan has the sump in the wrong spot for a car. Other than the oil pan and left side motor mount being slightly wider than the one for the 318, it should bolt right in

:blob:

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:wav::wav::wav:

Is the motor mount deal only on the later 360 engines? Im replacing a '68 318 with a '78 360.

I would like to thank every one for their input and advice. it seems that a 360 is a 360 no matter what year it is. again thank you everyone.

-
Back