318 to 440 dart.

-

440DART1970

1970 Dart 446ci Swinger
Reaction score
I have a 1971 318 dart and would like to swap out to a 440 BB... Are there motor mounts from mopar for a dart or do i use Schumacker mounts?

If it's a street car use the shumacher mounts. Race car I'd use engine plates.Mine will use the mounts,but I'll chain the drivers side down,as it will see track time.

Although Big Blocks do rock, you can get a ton of power from a hot (or stroked) small block. Plus they are lighter, easier to drive, and there is no hassle with motor mounts. Just sayin!

Hope this doesn't sound wrong but if your asking about the simplest part on using a BB then your setting your self up for failure and tons of $$$ -- stay with a small block

I have a 440 in mine and as said above a SB is a lot cheaper and if I was going to do it again I would go that route. You will need mounts exhaust/headers, transmission, do a blower motor mod etc this is just the basics.

Already have the 440, 727 trans and everything i need.. just asking about the mounts to swap motor

I used a Schumacher kit so I am not sure of the others. I will say it is pricey but fits great.

I don't know why but everybody on this site to want people only to run 360 or 408 lol
not trying to be snarky here, BUT...because seeming most people want the extra displacement in the same size package...do you really need to ask beyond that?

If your thinkin big block go to the 440 source website and give yourself a lot of time. You can learn the best blocks, dimensional differences between b block and rb block and a bunch of part upgrades to tempt you. Don't get lost!! Another great source is the big block dart website. All the tricks. Have fun.

Go with the Schumacher mounts. Make sure you get the shim kit. You may have to move the motor up a little, every car is different. Also look at the Schumacher torque strap. Works very good. You will have to do a little trimming on the driver side motor on the K- frame, if you plan on doing any racing, weld the mount good just for safety. The Schumacher headers are also very good, even for 11.40 car. Have not had any issues with this set up for 8 years now.

Go with the Schumacher mounts. Make sure you get the shim kit. You may have to move the motor up a little, every car is different. Also look at the Schumacher torque strap. Works very good. You will have to do a little trimming on the driver side motor on the K- frame, if you plan on doing any racing, weld the mount good just for safety. The Schumacher headers are also very good, even for 11.40 car. Have not had any issues with this set up for 8 years now.

Which headers did you go with? plain Chrome or plated

Don't let certain people who have no knowledge of this swap discourage you.

Use Schumacher mounts and their torque strap. They work just fine. An upgrade would be to use a 73 and newer K-member. The ultimate option would be to use a reputable coil over setup like an AlterKation.

If you are starting from ground zero and not reusing any parts you already have there isn't a major difference going to a big block.

The weight difference is a joke. Functionally you are far ahead of the game at any power level. Let me further explain that. A 400hp 440 is very mild. A 400hp LA is not. It costs more to get 400hp out of an LA than to get 400hp out of a 440.

I've done two 440 builds. I'm not saying I wouldn't build a SB car but man these 440 darts are a tough combo to pass up.

Don't let certain people who have no knowledge of this swap discourage you.

Use Schumacher mounts and their torque strap. They work just fine. An upgrade would be to use a 73 and newer K-member. The ultimate option would be to use a reputable coil over setup like an AlterKation.

If you are starting from ground zero and not reusing any parts you already have there isn't a major difference going to a big block.

The weight difference is a joke. Functionally you are far ahead of the game at any power level. Let me further explain that. A 400hp 440 is very mild. A 400hp LA is not. It costs more to get 400hp out of an LA than to get 400hp out of a 440.

I've done two 440 builds. I'm not saying I wouldn't build a SB car but man these 440 darts are a tough combo to pass up.

Well said. People will always have another opinion,and disagree with you,try to change your mind. Im still gathering parts,and a big block Dart is my goal. It has been a long time,but so far I have stage VI max wedge aluminum heads,a 400 engine/727,a 440 crank,KB hyper pistons and a Dana 60. Headers,fibreglass front end,inboard spring kit....it goes on and on. Carefull shopping and keen bargaining gets you much further than just throwing money around. Stick with your guns and build what you want. Anything less isn't your dream,but someone elses.

Mounts are not in stock anywhere I looked on the net trying to do the same with a 65 Cuda good luck I can see it takes a lot of patience but im not giving up YET

-
Back