318 truck motor

-

73dartneedswork

Reaction score
What do I need to change on a 318 truck motor- to replace the 318 I have in my Dart?
Obviously, the motor mounts are different, and the oil pan looks like it’s deeper on the truck engine.
Thanks,
Kris
I found out that I have a bad clyinder and I found an LA 318 out of a truck to replace my motor.

Attachments

• 140_0500.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 228
You will need the SB Abody motor mounts and an A Body oil pan and oil pump pick up.

just use the oil pan and oil pump pick up tube from your old engine, although any car 318 oil pan will work

you might find the lower radiator hose is on the wrong side for your car. If so a different water pump will work but will cover the timing scale making it very difficult to see.

you might find the lower radiator hose is on the wrong side for your car. If so a different water pump will work but will cover the timing scale making it very difficult to see.

I just looked at the truck motor and the radiator hose is on the wrong side. I'll have to switch water pumps. It looks like the radiator hose will cover the timming scale. What can I do?

I just looked at the truck motor and the radiator hose is on the wrong side. I'll have to switch water pumps. It looks like the radiator hose will cover the timming scale. What can I do?

One way is like a snow ball effect. Moving the timing cover and balancer will prompt timing chain and sprocket replace, front oil seal, There's a chain tensioner available now too. LOL
Least expensive fix is buy the sheet metal timing tab for a 273 and bolt it on the opposite side. Dial up #1 to top dead center and use a hacksaw to make a zero mark in the truck balancer.
I should add that a new timing set and oil pump are good investments.

Use a different radiator if you don't wanna mess with the pump & timing cover......

If you are looking for a cheap fix with the radiator hose then you could just use a piece of old exhaust pipe (I prefer stainless) and go to the parts store and find a couple of hoses that will hook up. You could then run you hose under your fan to the other side. I know it sounds redneck, but it works.:-D

-
Back