318 truck to car ???

-

dla4567

Reaction score
I am looking for a 318 and I am seeing a lot of truck engines. What are the differences between the truck engine and the car engine? What might I expect to have to change to make it work?

"Truck." You have to define what "truck" is. Ma used DIFFERENT versions of all engines......as did Chevy, example, in HEAVY trucks and heavier motorhomes.

But "light truck" AKA 1/2 and 3/4 ton, and much of the time 1 ton, are pretty much same as "car" engines except in some versions, performance cams and so on.

And, hardware varies. You cannot use a pickup / van rear sump pan in a car. Engine mount brackets ditto. Sometimes there is other hardware that "has to go" incuding pulley setups

There are different 318 motors.
LA / Magnum

If it is a LA change the motor mounts, oil pan and pick-up and exhaust manifolds and bolt it in.

If using magnum check out magnumswaps.com it is a little more involved but they will work.

Not looking to go magnum. If its just mounts, oil pan and pickup, and exhaust that would be fine with me. Just didn't know what I didn't know. Not sure if I will be rebuilding one or not, depends on what I find. Thought I should gather some info before I spent my money.

The engines are pretty much exactly the same. Like Del said, it's the bolt on accessories that are different. As long as you know that up front, you can know what to expect.

My understanding was that some 318 truck engines had better crankshafts, forged instead of cast and were desired for use in building hi proformance engines.

The truck oil pans have a rear hump, the car pans have a center hump. You will have to change the oil pan and pick-up tube.

Then put the proper motor mounts in and you're good....

Sorry to hijack but I have a similar question...
Im thinking of pulling the 360 outta my 84 Dodge 1/2 ton and.putting a 318 in for better mileage.... any obstacles other than sump and oil pan? My ac works and would like to use it with the 318
Thanks!

My understanding was that some 318 truck engines had better crankshafts, forged instead of cast and were desired for use in building hi proformance engines.

I believe this to be true, and as the 318 has the same stroke and bearing sizes as a 340, is a 318 forged crank the same as a 340 forged crank? I have often wondered if they are the same part....

Sorry to hijack but I have a similar question...
Im thinking of pulling the 360 outta my 84 Dodge 1/2 ton and.putting a 318 in for better mileage.... any obstacles other than sump and oil pan? My ac works and would like to use it with the 318
Thanks!

The important thing to remember, and it goes along with this thread, is that 318/340 oil pans cannot interchange with 360 oil pans as the 360 pan has a larger diameter opening at the front and rear of the pan.

You will need a 318 truck pan to go along with the 318.

The important thing to remember, and it goes along with this thread, is that 318/340 oil pans cannot interchange with 360 oil pans as the 360 pan has a larger diameter opening at the front and rear of the pan.

You will need a 318 truck pan to go along with the 318.

Will all the externals be able to swap from my 360 to 318? Ac, ex manifolds??
Thanks Dave!

Will all the externals be able to swap from my 360 to 318? Ac, ex manifolds??
Thanks Dave!

I believe so. You are also going to have a converter balance issue. You'll need to knock the big weights off the 360 converter. Frankly, I think you might be heading in the wrong direction. A good running 360 can get fair mileage, and that truck is heavy. The money you spend on a swap will take a long time to pay the difference in fuel.

I believe this to be true, and as the 318 has the same stroke and bearing sizes as a 340, is a 318 forged crank the same as a 340 forged crank? I have often wondered if they are the same part....

It's a crap shoot to get a forged crank; it is very much year dependent.........as an example I got given a 318 out of a 1971 D600 truck, crank turned out to be cast.....

The 318-3 truck engine did have a forged crank, and ma mopar touted is as a "go to" item for racing, but at this stage of the game I wouldn't hold out for one, by the time you got it ready to use, ie having the throws drilled to lighten, mains and rods resized, (there goes the surface hardening)it's an 8 bolt flange on the flywheel end, it would be more cost effective to buy an after market crank.

Good luck!

I believe so. You are also going to have a converter balance issue. You'll need to knock the big weights off the 360 converter. Frankly, I think you might be heading in the wrong direction. A good running 360 can get fair mileage, and that truck is heavy. The money you spend on a swap will take a long time to pay the difference in fuel.

I was wondering that myself Del....costs vs savings.. I get about 18 mpg at best in it. Im thinking TBI as well possibly??

Sorry for the hijack...

-
Back