318 value

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
I recently found a 318, year, condition is unknown by the individual who has it. What makes it tempting is that it has a 340 intake manifold on it. It's complete except for the carburetor and distributor. The owner said make me a offer, but honestly I have no idea what to offer him. I don't think that he'll let me pull the oil pan either

$200

a hundred for the intake, and a hundred for everything else.

How bad do you want a 318? If you're buying it just for the intake, offer him what you think the intake is worth.

I recently found a 318, year, condition is unknown by the individual who has it. What makes it tempting is that it has a 340 intake manifold on it. It's complete except for the carburetor and distributor. The owner said make me a offer, but honestly I have no idea what to offer him. I don't think that he'll let me pull the oil pan either

K. Thanks. I'm going to get it . I'm thinking that it would be a good candidate for a stroker

Here's how you can ID the engine:

How to ID a Small Block Engine Block:

How bad do you want a 318? If you're buying it just for the intake, offer him what you think the intake is worth.
I thought about getting it as a backup block or possibly build a stroker motor. What would be a good stroker kit?

I thought about getting it as a backup block or possibly build a stroker motor. What would be a good stroker kit?

As long as it's in decent shape, I don't see why not. 360's still grow on trees where I'm at, so I tend to favor those for strokers. Nothing wrong with a good ol 318 though.

I would make sure it will turnover by hand.
Anytime you buy a core, you are risking it being worth only scrap.
Like he said, $200 with that intake or else he needs to let you take it apart to see whats what.
But remember my wife says I am cheap! She knows!

I have 1 on the scrap trailer and another just pulled from a parts car. It's a 67 318. I think the going price is about 29 cents a ton. How many you want ?

They haven't made small block LA's for how long now? If you have room to store one why scrap it?

I traded a rebuilt one out of a wreck for a complete slant....worked for me! All the guy wanted from it was the front cover on up, pulleys, balancer etc. He called me a few days later and told me it ran so well, he's gonna run it instead of building his short block back up.

Be nice to know the casting number.
You can bore some out 4-4.04"
Look on the sides if the block for what looks like circles/templates for the core/freeze plugs. In other words.. it'll have freeze plugs but you'll see these circles where it's almost like they were going to put them there and decided not to. Those are the blocks.
2536030 iirr

Look on the sides if the block for what looks like circles/templates for the core/freeze plugs. In other words.. it'll have freeze plugs but you'll see these circles where it's almost like they were going to put them there and decided not to. Those are the blocks.
2536030 iirr
I'll check that out. What I thought about was seeing what a crankshaft with a 3.480" stroke would cost and bore the block 0.030" equals 340. Pistons are off the shelf with a 1.720" compression height. Anyone know what a crankshaft would cost with a 3.480" stroke? Doesn't have to be a forged unit

I'll check that out. What I thought about was seeing what a crankshaft with a 3.480" stroke would cost and bore the block 0.030" equals 340. Pistons are off the shelf with a 1.720" compression height. Anyone know what a crankshaft would cost with a 3.480" stroke? Doesn't have to be a forged unit
More than 3.58 stroke 318/340 main would cost.
Bore size is it's handicap.
You can't fit valves in it. Though it can make power, beyond a point thats where the issue lies. So finding one you can get to 4" or more is key imo. All the big boy heads need 4"+ bore size.

I paid $500 for this 318, mid 70’s from a truck but has a car oil pan on it, almost new Eddy carb and Wieand action plus intake, headers, distributor has aftermarket guts like Petronics or something, hi flow water pump, alternator, pullies, even power steering oump and brackets. The heads have been rebuilt and it runs...couldn’t pass it up. Sold the headers for $150, gonna sell the chrome Eddy valve covers and air cleaner, & truck engine mounts to recoup some more money. Thought about selling the intake and carb but I think I’ll use them. Gonna tear it apart and look inside, see if it needs anything and go from there. Might go in the wife’s 66 but I have another good 340 with 340 heads and aftermarket HP stuff inside, still need to tear that one apart to see what’s it’s got and I’ll pick the best engine...318’s are actually getting hard to find!

466A98B9-BC65-46F7-A2B2-6E21C815F644.jpeg

05EC6817-C7D7-49F9-BD12-2205CE7BC075.jpeg

2F0B277F-11E3-4DCC-B4BF-D1C4E2ADDB6E.jpeg

176A35A6-B39C-4370-BBD0-5D93A7540E3A.jpeg

8CF72344-8EC5-4F62-AEA7-C623E5F03B69.jpeg

I have 1 on the scrap trailer and another just pulled from a parts car. It's a 67 318. I think the going price is about 29 cents a ton. How many you want ?

29 cents a ton? I haven’t checked scrap prices for a while but I can’t imagine automotive cast being less than $100 ton and more than likely twice that.

29 cents a ton? I haven’t checked scrap prices for a while but I can’t imagine automotive cast being less than $100 ton and more than likely twice that.
Metal Average Price Date Updated
Cast Iron $265.00/ton Updated 03/04/2022
Rotors $315.00/ton Updated 03/04/2022
Complete Car $235.00/ton Updated 03/04/2022

2536030 iirr

What years did they use those 2536030 castings????

-
Back