318 with Edelbrok perfomer intake and 600 cfm 4 barrel, what headers please?

-

Peter Z

Reaction score
Hi, the car is 1971 Scamp and has a good running 318 with under 65k orig miles. Previous owner added Edelbrok performer alu intake and 4 barrel 600 cfm edelbrok carb but it still has the original headers. Aparently it took awhile to tune it but it now purrs like a kitten. Does it make sense to upgrade them as well and if yes long or short and what you recommend please?
Many thanks!

Is a problem with the headers that are on it ?

Nope, it runs fine, and thats why I’m asking, if it would benefit from better headers, that would help the upgraded intake and carb and added a bit of performace…

You say its got "Original Headers." It has headers the previous owner or one of the previous owners installed OR it has the cast iron exhaust manifolds? Headers for old mopars works like this. TTI and Dougs fit the best- do NOT route any tubes under front end components resulting in lessened ground clearance. TTI and Dougs are built of significantly thicker steel everywhere. This benefits the flange area. TTI and Dougs are expensive to very expensive. Then there are the others. Hooker, Hedman , Flow Tech and I'm sure some others are all affordable. But they route one or more tubes underneath front end steering components resulting in lessened ground clearance. Their construction is of thinner steel than the premium brands. This thinner steel being exposed to heat cycles creates flaky rusty sometimes delaminating header tubes.

You say its got "Original Headers." It has headers the previous owner or one of the previous owners installed OR it has the cast iron exhaust manifolds? Headers for old mopars works like this. TTI and Dougs fit the best- do NOT route any tubes under front end components resulting in lessened ground clearance. TTI and Dougs are built of significantly thicker steel everywhere. This benefits the flange area. TTI and Dougs are expensive to very expensive. Then there are the others. Hooker, Hedman , Flow Tech and I'm sure some others are all affordable. But they route one or more tubes underneath front end steering components resulting in lessened ground clearance. Their construction is of thinner steel than the premium brands. This thinner steel being exposed to heat cycles creates flaky rusty sometimes delaminating header tubes.
Thanks for the info! Currently original cast iron manifolds.

IMG_3737.jpeg

If you want a little more hp and tq put some good headers on it. Be prepared to tune the carb a little more. Tune the distributor as well if you haven't already.
Headers is a he said she said argument. Some like them and some don't. It is up to you.

A stock 318 with 4bl? I wouldn't waste time/effort or energy into headers, you Will feel no gain on a stock 318. You are opening up a can of worms/headaches for no power gain.

Can we see pictures of the manifolds? If the previous owner did these mods they might have used 340 Manifolds too.

It's really up too you, it's a pretty big expense for good ones, can be a bit of a pain and the gains won't be overly huge probably 10-15 hp or so but will be across the entire rpm range, Probably give a little mpg bump.

So is that worth it too you ?

People can make the argument for either way, if you plan on future mods like cam heads etc.. Then it will be more beneficial down the road.

If you go headers, go Dougs. They fit great. I went to headers on a stock 318 2bbl on my '77 van and dropped 2.5 tenths in the 1/8 mile.

A stock 318 with 4bl? I wouldn't waste time/effort or energy into headers, you Will feel no gain on a stock 318. You are opening up a can of worms/headaches for no power gain.

This is completely wrong. 100%. Sorry buddy, been there done that just like 318willrun. Headers will add torque & horse power and mileage.

I suggest one of two headers. The above Doug’s headers or the Summit headers. The Doug’s do not have any tubes that go below the steering linkages on the drivers side Wollock is a big big plus for me.

All headers except the Doug’s and TTI headers have 3 tubes on the drivers side that run under the steering linkages and often hit the ground. If your suspension is weak and/or low the tubes will hit the floor and get crushed creating a weak point for rust.

The Summit headers have fit well for me and have a thick 3/8 flange like the Doug’s and TTI headers. But have the draw back as I stated above.

As far as exhaust goes, I have used the Jegs and Summit exhaust that goes from the headers to the bumper. I’m t fit very well with minor trimming. It’s a 2-1/2 exhaust with or without mufflers, your call. The mufflers within the kit are good to a little more than 400hp, no problem.

Headers will improve even a stock engine, and will help make any future modifications work better. The headache of installing them and driving a car with them (if you use any of the ones that pass below the steering) is a personal decision, but to say they won’t make a difference is not true.

Yep MAY add lol,
You say this, not I. It’s is a proven fact that has been done over and ver again by not only magazines but by members here.
So you can “LOL” all you want, it works and no matter the amount of nay saying you say, at the end of the day you’re still wrong. Your also misleading members by being a lier.

but at what expense??

The expense was available that who ever is doing the work will have to control in parts purchased as well as ether laying a person to do the work or a DIY fella knocking the work out.

Headers on a more or less stock 318? :rolleyes:

Yep! However the rolling the eyes emoji is an understandable one since you see little to no worth in it and that’s OK.

Sink $$ elsewhere.

Where and what would you do?

Dougs headers, painted are $671. Ceramic coated are $909. I guess it's a personal preference. Would the cost be worth it for the extra hp and tq.

Dougs headers, painted are $671. Ceramic coated are $909. I guess it's a personal preference. Would the cost be worth it for the extra hp and tq.
Absolutely agree. Many times people will post the question but state they don’t want to spend the big bucks. I get that!
This is where I say use the Summit Racing headers and there exhaust kit for the car.

Everything makes a difference, good bad or otherwise, no matter how minor.
Is the change worth $800?? Not in my book, but I've lots to learn.
OP, go ahead and do it, please post your results.

Headers will add SOME power over manifolds. However the question of are they worth it is up to each individual. In some cases the gains are minimal.

IF looking what the next mod that would give the most bang for the dollar probably would be a cam.

IF looking what the next mod that would give the most bang for the dollar probably would be a cam.
I agree with 273. A cam with 204* / 214* duration at 0.050" would be a nice addition. There's a lot of cams out there that will help the performance even with stock exhaust manifolds. Don't get me wrong here, there's nothing wrong with going with headers but would the cost justify the small increase in power and torque. True, they would be good later on if you have plans on going with better heads, bigger cam and carburetor. I think that a small cam, curve kit, gears and a stall converter would make a difference as well. If you're gonna use the car as a daily driver and just want a bump in performance I'm not sure that headers would be worth the extra expense.

-
Back