318 with x-heads?

-
the X should be between the spark plugs on the outside of the heads...

seen alot of X heads...seen alot of 318s...

but 318 did not come from the factory with X heads

Welcome. The 318 never came with x heads, but it's an easy swap. Only 340's came with x heads. I bought a truck last year with a 318 with a set of 1.88 J heads on it.

If the 318 has the stock pistons and the X heads are unmilled, your compression is down into the 7s.

the X should be between the spark plugs on the outside of the heads...

seen alot of X heads...seen alot of 318s...

but 318 did not come from the factory with X heads

318 is stamped on the the block and a X on the out side of the head...Yep! Just asking has anyone seen this before. I'm sorry for not relaying that I know its not original. Just thought it was odd.

Thanks Strokerscamp! I was under that impression also. I picked the car up fairly cheap and was going to us the LBP power brake set up for my 71 duster. The 74 is in decent shape so....look's like I picked up another project.

It can end up being a great combination for the 318 if good pistons are used. I would never try to mill enough off the heads to raise compression from that far down. You'd be talkin about ALOT of milling. If you could get compression in the 9.5 area with a better piston, those heads could easily support a 400 or more HP 318 with properly chosen parts.

-
Back