323 "BORER"

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
If an engine receives an overbore and a longer crankshaft stroke it's called a "STROKER" motor. So, I figured since my 318 engine received only the .03 overbore, it should be called a "323 BORER"!!

:rofl:

Also, since I'm cam "dumb", my engine builder/mechanic suggested I stick with stock replacement internals. I just want/need a reliable engine to get me to and from the ice cream parlors, local car show/events and some occasional highway trips without worries.

1-323 Borer.jpeg

My engine builder/mechanic is going to get it installed in the "Golden Oldie" in the next few weeks.

Drop Off (2).JPEG

Nothing at all wrong with stock. They are fine engines. You'll have a blast with it.

If an engine receives an overbore and a longer crankshaft stroke it's called a "STROKER" motor.

Nice. What is your compression ratio and can you get a picture of a cam card? Sounds like he is doing you justice.

When an engine gets a longer stroke crank, it’s a stroker, overbore need not be applied. Around my ways, an over bored and stroker crank was noted at a “Stroked and poked engine/mill.”

On engine that just got an overbore, we would just say, “It’s a 30 over 318.”

It was rare to hear someone say,
“It’s a destrokered/destroker engine.”
Mostly heard from Chevy guys destroking a 400sb.
Once in a blue, a MoPar guy would say it pointing to a 355 cid kit for the NACAR program. Normally a W2 mill.

Last edited:
Sounds like your engine builder/mechanic is building you a perfect engine to suit your needs. The hobby needs more people like that. Not everyone needs a blown alcohol hemi to run the kids to the ice cream shop.

I call my .040 over 360LA, a 367, cuz it types easier and faster with fewer key strokes; and every Mopar guy knows that a 367 is 4.04 x 3.58, so it's either a 360 +.040, or it's a stroked 340, which nobody does anymore. (EDIT FOR RUMBLE: almost nobody)
Every Mopar guy knows what a 323 is, or a 328 etc, so I'd be doing the same. And if you just say it's a bored 318 inevitably someone will ask about how much.
But; I have never heard of a Borer so ... IDK, I think I'd leave that in the toolbox.

Now, as for cams; your 71 engine is one of the last of the 9.0 engines, and if still a 9.0 engine, you could go up one size. But, in a streeter, you will get better results with a 2800TC. Especially if it has hiway gears, that you plan to keep.

Last edited:
AJ/FormS,

Yeah, I was just bringing some of my twisted humor to the fact that it's not a racy, but boring (the "BORER"), engine compared to a lot of guy's builds.

Last edited:
I call my .040 over 360LA, a 367, cuz it types easier and faster with fewer key strokes; and every Mopar guy knows that a 367 is 4.04 x 3.58, so it's either a 360 +.040, or it's a stroked 340, which nobody does anymore.
Dream on….
There are several fellas besides myself doing a 340 block and a 3.58 crank.

Every Mopar guy knows what a 323 is, or a 328 etc, so I'd be doing the same. And if you just say it's a bored 318 inevitably someone will ask about how much.
In speech, I just “It’s a ….state overbore and as cast displacement….. .030-318…”
But; I have never heard of a Borer so ... IDK, I think I'd leave that in the toolbox.
Agreed

Otherwise you make a pretty broad & bad claim as to what converter he should use. Bad advice.

Otherwise you make a pretty broad & bad claim as to what converter he should use. Bad advice.
Also, since I'm cam "dumb", my engine builder/mechanic suggested I stick with stock replacement internals. I just want/need a reliable engine to get me to and from the ice cream parlors, local car show/events and some occasional highway trips without worries.
my apologies to you @DartGTDan , in Detroit, for giving "bad advice" ; I guess I shouldda said ; ask Rumble what he thinks .........
As for me;
My opinion is; I love the 2800 for a stock application and all my 318 cars get one.

I guess I shouldda said ; ask Rumble what he thinks .........

Id say… “Call a (Pro) converter place like Dynamic, PorTorque, PTC, and etc…. And give them ALL OF YOUR VEHICLES INFORMATION AND HOLD BACK NOTHING as well as tell them what the intended usage of the vehicle is.”

Don’t ask what a life time manual shifting, gear banging, back street racing guy does for a torque converter. While I can generalize, I’d want all the information as to what I what I would do but I would also finish with what I started this reply with.

Last edited:
AJ/FormS,

Yeah, I was just bringing some of my twisted humor to the fact that it's not a racy, but boring (the "BORER"), engine compared to a lot of guys builds.
I like it! I think you will too.

-
Back