340 4 speed to 440 4speed conversion

-

dbphemi

Reaction score
I had an impulse shopping moment this weekend and picked up a 72 440 out of a dodge charger with stock oil pan , manifolds and alternator brackets . Just out of curiosity what would it take to hook up my stock a-833 trans to the 440 .What 340 parts can i use and what will i have to replace? I'm aware of the steering column and k member notching issues . Ive read up on using the schumacher mounts but haven't seen much about putting it in a factory 4speed car other than that it is difficult lol.

I don't know if i should have put this in the transmission section or what but 440 4 speed sure does have a nice ring to it :)

You'll need a BB bell housing that will fit your car. I don't think the 69/ earlier B body bells will work in an A. My '70 RR had a "fake" 11" clutch, (10 7/8) so it basically is a 10 1/2" cover and bell housing, that would be the idea what you need.

The retainer on your four speed may or may not fit the hole in the BB bell

I don't know what pan/ exhaust you need. Radiator lower outlet is on wrong side, you'll either need to have the outlet switched by a rad shop or replace the radiator.

If you have power boosted brakes, you'll have to do something with that.

You'll need a BB bell housing that will fit your car. I don't think the 69/ earlier B body bells will work in an A. My '70 RR had a "fake" 11" clutch, (10 7/8) so it basically is a 10 1/2" cover and bell housing, that would be the idea what you need.

The retainer on your four speed may or may not fit the hole in the BB bell

I don't know what pan/ exhaust you need. Radiator lower outlet is on wrong side, you'll either need to have the outlet switched by a rad shop or replace the radiator.

If you have power boosted brakes, you'll have to do something with that.

Yeah I was hoping someone new what bell housing I need. I do remember now a buddy of mine having to have the bearing cover turned down on a hemi 4speed to put it in a small block . Stating to look like a real pain already.

IU did a 440 68 'Cuda w/ automatic. I do know with the Schumacher kit you have to cut a notch in the k-member for the oil pump/filter and use an oil pan from a C body. I've heard their headers will fit on a 4 spd. a body with a 440. Also 72/73 C body exaust manifolds are said to work.

My standard answer to questions like this is to call brewer performance, they will know and probably have the parts in stock if you need them.

Yep the notch is easy to do, left side engine mount stand on K frame. Other then that a radiator, a bell and a flywheel, exhaust system and you got it. Make sure to leave the shumaker mounts loose untill you have the engine in the saddle, having the trans mount in place in the cross member sets the engine to the correct position, then snug up on the mounts and mark them for future reference with a paint pen. Depending on the headers you use will decide what Z bar you will need. If using TTi headers I suggest buying their Z bar, you can fab up yours to work but I found it more cost effective to purchase theirs.
If you have any specific questions I will be glad to answer what I can for you.
If you need a bell housing I have one I would be willing to sell. Its a fun project, good luck with it.

Starting to look like a real pain already.
It's been done many many times. The standard 70-74 BB bellhousing should work. Most non OD 23 spline transmissions had the small bearing retainer.
The Z bar will need some work. Motor mounts are as easy as ordering them, or finding them in the for sale section here sometimes. Water pump housings can be found in either left or right inlet. You'll need a short fan clutch or something else that works.
For the exhaust, manifolds would be the easiest and cheapest. BB manifolds are not worth a small fortune unlike 340 manifolds. Some folks have made the Schumachers fit. Pro Parts fit for sure. TTI's might.
The hard stuff is finding traction, patience when changing plugs, and the elusive dual purpose grin remover/passenger seat $hite stain cleaner.

A Grin Remover.
I Also Have A 4 Speed. Bigblockdart.com And Brewers Were The Only Way To Go. For Headers I Went With A Set Of Fenderwells. Enjoy.

Yep the notch is easy to do, left side engine mount stand on K frame. Other then that a radiator, a bell and a flywheel, exhaust system and you got it. Make sure to leave the shumaker mounts loose untill you have the engine in the saddle, having the trans mount in place in the cross member sets the engine to the correct position, then snug up on the mounts and mark them for future reference with a paint pen. Depending on the headers you use will decide what Z bar you will need. If using TTi headers I suggest buying their Z bar, you can fab up yours to work but I found it more cost effective to purchase the
If you have any specific questions I will be glad to answer what I can for you.
If you need a bell housing I have one I would be willing to sell. Its a fun project, good luck with it.

How much for the bellhousing? I'm doing a swap in a 64 dart.:burnout:

I didn't have to notch my k member with the schumacher mounts. If I was you, I'd find yourself a 400 block and build a 451 using your 440 crank. The lower deck height will make changing plugs much easier. I wish I had done that. Pro parts headers fit great. I just had to do a little hammering around the mini starter and the idler arm. I also had to bang on the pass side valve cover to clear the blower motor.
I built my own z bar but I think I might switch to one of those kits from brewers because I'm not getting as much throw as i need.

I didn't have to notch my k member with the schumacher mounts. If I was you, I'd find yourself a 400 block and build a 451 using your 440 crank. The lower deck height will make changing plugs much easier. I wish I had done that. Pro parts headers fit great. I just had to do a little hammering around the mini starter and the idler arm. I also had to bang on the pass side valve cover to clear the blower motor.
I built my own z bar but I think I might switch to one of those kits from brewers because I'm not getting as much throw as i need.
I kinda got a soft spot in my heart for the 440. The first mopar I drove was a 440 TNT Chrysler . My plan is to build a bone stock hp 440 with manifolds and squeeze it in there. Lol if it's too much a pain I'll put the 340 back in it and find a nice coronet to put it in :)

-
Back