340 6-pack cam specs?

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy gurus. I could use some help trying to figure out a cam. It's available through a local guy and is clearly a purple small block cam. The box says it's a "Mr. Six Pack Grind - stock" from 1970. It's brand new in the box but the box is from Engle not Mopar. There is one number on the front of the cam, 972101. I'm told this cam was made for the 1970 340 6-pack motor but that's all the details I have on it. Does anyone know anything about this thing, and perhaps provide some of the cam-card info?

Here are a couple of pictures I grabbed when I was looking at it.

20231023_183751[1].jpg

20231023_183727[1].jpg

The original six pack cam was the same spec as the 69 and up 340s. The 68 340 4 speed cam was the only one that was different. Maybe that's what you have.....maybe it's not. lol

Found this on E Bodies.com specific to factory cams not necessarily yours but you could do some measuring and compare.
Specific to factory spec 340 cams;
Automatic-equipped 340's employed a hydraulic cam with 268/276-degrees advertised duration and .429/.444-inch lift.
70 Challengers with a 340, 4 barrel and 6 paks used the same cam.
it had some healthy duration at .050.
- advertised, 268/276*, at 50' , 228/235* with 114 deg separation for a wide 5800 rpm power band and 44 degree's of noticeable overlap

Call Engle, tell him what you have shown us. Believe me, he will know what you are talking about if they ground this cam originally.

At one time they ground all of Hughes engines cams and back in the day their mopar cams had fast ramps for more lift under the curve.

Call Engle, tell him what you have shown us. Believe me, he will know what you are talking about if they ground this cam originally.

At one time they ground all of Hughes engines cams and back in the day their mopar cams had fast ramps for more lift under the curve.
Engle is old school good stuff like Reed Cams used to be.

I’d call Bob Karakashian and get the scoop. I seriously doubt it’s a 53 year-old cam. I bought one from him about 2 years ago.

Last edited:
-
Back