340 Build

Is this a good set up for my 340

• is the cam too big

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • is this a bad combo

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
-
Need a little clarity.....when you say that the set up is not all that impressive, elaborate. What is the grind number, lift numbers don't tell the whole story, and are they before of after the 1.6 rockers?

I'll kinda go along that the combination should net you a slip some where in the 11's; though there is more to getting there than just motor, chassis needs to work, no offense but driver ability, I see you are rowing a 4 spd, that takes some ability to do it well. With 28 inch tire, I'd be tempted to run 4.11's maybe even 4.30's

Another thought, you had Dave Hughes assist you in the selection of components, have you not asked him to assist in sorting out the combination to make it work?

Get ready for the flood!!!!!!!!!!!!
flood is right lol feel like I'm at gun fight with a knife

You don't have near enough gear. Also, I've never seen a good set of headers for early A body cars. Ever. If they are not custom built, they are junk and I don't care whose name is on the box.

Did you degree that cam?? Or dot to dot it? That's where I'd look after I dropped a 4.30 gear in it. If you can't or won't do that, change the cam.

My second guess is you'll be lucky to be at 9:1 as I'd bet you didn't degree the cam and didn't actually measure the compression ratio. I'm not talking about doing a bunch of math you found in catalogs and online. You need to pour the heads and do a downfill on the Pistons and THEN do the math. Otherwise, you are just guessing.

You didn't say what plug you have, but pictures would be nice. What about the fuel pump you are using?

Also, I've never ever seen any cam make 1/10 of its HP under the sweet spot so just ignore that post.

If you have answers for the above, it should run 11's. Provided you can get it to hook and your clutch doesn't break the drivetrain to pieces and how well you can actually drive a stick. It's essentially a lost art.
I'm decent with a stick but I expect to screw up here and there, headers are fender well from hooker I'd like to think there ok!

Does it have a stock Mopar 4 speed trans and 3.73 gears?

25 or so years ago I had a 10.5:1 340 in my 68 Satellite running 11.60’s@117........ but it didn’t have a 4 speed and 3.73 rear gears.

I guess we’ll have to wait for clarification....... I thought it was a typo for “833”.

If it’s an RPM headed 433 in a small car like that, and it’s set up even 1/2 way “right”, it should go 10’s.

Going quick with a stick car is mostly about “the car”.
Making enough power with a stock stroke 340 to run 11’s in a 66 valiant is absolutely “no problemo”.
It’s the stick that throws the wrench in the works.
If it’s a “race car”, it’s easier....... you buy all the good stuff so you can leave at 5 or 6k and not worry about it.
It’s a very tiny fraction of the stick shift street/strip combos that have the good stuff between the crank flange and the axle flange.
On my buddies stick shift Stocker....... that stuff costs way more than his motor does.
Yes sorry 833 it is, I just wanted 340 4 speed cause it's cool, but the car just doesn't pull like it should

Tune what you have. Proper ignition curve and dialed in carb will wake up your motor. A 26" tire will help the rpms at the track. Learn to cut a light and you can win a lot of rounds. Once you get the most out of your current combo you can evaluate the data collected.

I would not worry about it too much till you actually get it to a track and get a time slip....the "seat of the pants" gauge does not always tell the truth....time slips do.

Hi I would like some help with a motor Ive just done with the help of Dave Hughs, I bulit! its a 340 bored 40 over, Icon pistons,hastings rings, 10-1 compression,63cc Edlebrock Alum rpm heads 202 & 1.6 valves , 1.6 Hughes alum rockers, hughes pushrods, 750 Holley track warrior carb, pro billit msd dist, Msd 6al box, Msd wires and champion plugs, Hooker pro comp long tube headers with flow masters ,Edelbrock air gap intake. timing is at 34 degrees total, Everything is as suggested by Dave and ordered through him.
This set up is not that impressive. I thought it would have more power, according to Dave it shoud run 11s in the quarter, I dont think it will! its in a 66 Valiant with a 833 4 speed and 373 gear with 28" tire. Does anything look out of place here? Thank you in advance. the cam is 570 intake and 583 exaust with a 1.6 rocker, duration @ .050" 232 intake and 236 exhaust lobe seperation is 108 and installed centerline is 104
this is revised with cam specs

Well, the cam looks about right for what you’re doing with the car.
It should make enough power to run 11’s, but it’s highly unlikely it will with 3.73’s and a stick.

Frankly, this is a case where a stroker crank would have been the best money you could have spent on the motor, from a “seat of the pants” bang-for-the-buck factor, when you were in the planning stages.

Even if it made zero more hp, the extra 75ft/lbs of tq, right where you’re using the motor most of the time, would put a big smile on your face.

What you built is a nice little pump gas 340 with a small cam....... and 340’s aren’t known for their awesome low end grunt.

I think it’s likely the motor is doing what it should....... and that you over estimated what that combination of parts would run like.

I’d seek out a chassis dyno at some point, make a few pulls just to insure nothing strange is going on with the fuel curve, and to see if the power numbers are somewhat close to what that combo should make.

I looked up the cam.
I see it’s a hydraulic...... for some reason I had it in my head it was a solid.
Another reason to get it on a dyno........ see where the valve float occurs, or if it will rev high enough to reach its natural peak before it gets into float.
Sometimes with a fast rate hyd cam things get unhappy and a lower rpm than you’d like.

I just had a mild 360 on the dyno last week with a little solid lifter cam.
That motor was making peak hp around 62-6300, and was still pulling strong to 6800.
Mid-5000’s is a pretty low point to peak for a 340 with decent heads on it.
My suspicion is, on an engine dyno, that combo would keep climbing until the lifters got unhappy.

Last edited:
Pistons are flush with the deck, heads are rpm alum Edelbrock

Yup, ain't no way that's anywhere near 10:1 unless the chambers are 54 cc's and they are not. That's why I said you can't do the math from a catalog. You need to actually measure the stuff and THEN do the math. Catalogs, like people can be wrong. Or they just lie.

I'd almost promise you the cam isn't where the cam card calls for, and since you are down on CR (my guess is with that cam if I did the engine you be at a MEASURED 10.5-10.8:1 and it would still run on pump gas but I want to see all the numbers first) I'd bet you need to be at a minimum of 6 degrees advanced from the LSA. For a start. It may want more advance with the low CR and no gear.

So now that I've seen the cam numbers, it's not as much cam as I run, but you'll still need a 4.30 gear with that tire. I run a 4.56 gear but I have a 26 inch tire and I run 255 @ .050

I would have talked you out of that hydraulic. Today's solids don't require .032 lash (none of them did but that's what they called for and yes it's stupid) and need to be checked every 5000 miles or so and that's if you beat on it.

You also need to verify the compression ratio and degree the cam. Never ever dot to dot a cam. Degreeing is so simple that once you learn it, you'll wonder why everyone doesn't do it. For way less than a hundred bucks you can buy all you need to do it.

With zero deck, 5cc piston, 63cc head, 10cc gasket, 1cc area above rings...... I come up with 9.9:1.

Pretty close to 10:1.

Yes.... same basic piston setup on a 340 and we have 10:1. Pistons measured at.004-.005" out of the hole. Cranking compression at 156-161 at 2400' elevation with a 212 @ 050" cam (intake). OP, if you would check the cranking compressions on all cylinders, that would help verify this.

The one question I have on the info leading to compression is if the pistons are really level with the deck as claimed..... Typical Icon pistons height sit about .010-.012" below nominal LA deck height.... lowers static CR by a couple of tenths. And with high deck height and a thick head gasket, SCR could be down close to 9.5..... but that is not going to be holding back the engine all that much at the top end.

IMHO, still not a good description from the OP as to what seems to be 'weak'. Boggy on the street or what? My son's 340 is very similar for heads, CR, and intake, with smaller cam, almost .100" less lift, Spitfire headers, and 600 cfm carb, 3.55 rear and 220 RPM stall TC on a 904 auto.... not the least bit boggy..... traction is the problem. Will spin tires at just over half throttle from a stop.

I’d like to have a peak (so to speak) on the suspension & tire selection.

With zero deck, 5cc piston, 63cc head, 10cc gasket, 1cc area above rings...... I come up with 9.9:1.

Pretty close to 10:1.

I agree IF the notches are 5cc's and IF the heads are 63cc's and IF it's actually a true zero deck. There are too many IF'S in there for me. That's why I measure everything.

Yes.... same basic piston setup on a 340 and we have 10:1. Pistons measured at.004-.005" out of the hole. Cranking compression at 156-161 at 2400' elevation with a 212 @ 050" cam (intake). OP, if you would check the cranking compressions on all cylinders, that would help verify this.

The one question I have on the info leading to compression is if the pistons are really level with the deck as claimed..... Typical Icon pistons height sit about .010-.012" below nominal LA deck height.... lowers static CR by a couple of tenths. And with high deck height and a thick head gasket, SCR could be down close to 9.5..... but that is not going to be holding back the engine all that much at the top end.

IMHO, still not a good description from the OP as to what seems to be 'weak'. Boggy on the street or what? My son's 340 is very similar for heads, CR, and intake, with smaller cam, almost .100" less lift, Spitfire headers, and 600 cfm carb, 3.55 rear and 220 RPM stall TC on a 904 auto.... not the least bit boggy..... traction is the problem. Will spin tires at just over half throttle from a stop.

Should have read this first. Like I said, whole lotta if's in the OP's numbers.

Also, a converter is WAY more forgiving than a clutch is. You can be off on gear and the converter isn't as bothered by it.

Also, you most likely have better headers than the OP. There is almost no HP difference between two quality over the counter headers. But a junk set of headers is a power killer. May not be the OP's issue but those fender well headers are usually a power loser.

I would not expect that operating RPM band with the .050" duration of 232*.

OP: do you have the original Edelbrock springs on the heads?

And I don't understand this statement: 'All in' as in how?
Sorry when I called Dave Hughes he said with that cam my power would finished at 5400 rpm

So now that I've seen the cam numbers, it's not as much cam as I run, but you'll still need a 4.30 gear with that tire. I run a 4.56 gear but I have a 26 inch tire and I run 255 @ .050

I would have talked you out of that hydraulic. Today's solids don't require .032 lash (none of them did but that's what they called for and yes it's stupid) and need to be checked every 5000 miles or so and that's if you beat on it.

You also need to verify the compression ratio and degree the cam. Never ever dot to dot a cam. Degreeing is so simple that once you learn it, you'll wonder why everyone doesn't do it. For way less than a hundred bucks you can buy all you need to do it.
I've never degreed a cam before, but heard of it being done, does it make that much of a difference ?

I would not expect that operating RPM band with the .050" duration of 232*.

OP: do you have the original Edelbrock springs on the heads?

And I don't understand this statement: 'All in' as in how?
for the springs and lifters they came from Hughes engines and he custom made the pushrods

Should have read this first. Like I said, whole lotta if's in the OP's numbers.

Also, a converter is WAY more forgiving than a clutch is. You can be off on gear and the converter isn't as bothered by it.

Also, you most likely have better headers than the OP. There is almost no HP difference between two quality over the counter headers. But a junk set of headers is a power killer. May not be the OP's issue but those fender well headers are usually a power loser.
The heads are a closed chamber 63 cc, according to Dave Hughes the Pistons in the 340 come out of the deck by 6 thou and with the icon Pistons he sold me in his words would be exactly 10-1 compression

I can’t see how a 232*@.050 cam would peak at 5400 in a 340 with rpm heads & manifold and headers........ unless there is something else holding it back........ like valvetrain stability.
Using the most basic airflow to cubic inch equation, an ootb rpm head flowing 240cfm has enough capacity to allow a 345” motor to peak at over 6600rpm(if everything else can keep up).
5400 seems really low to me.

The 360 I just tested had heads that flow less than ootb rpm heads, a manifold with less capacity than the an rpm, and a cam with way less lift than the OP’s cam.
The same formula shows the heads on the 360 flow enough to peak at just over 6k on that combo........ which is right about where it peaked.

Last edited:
I've never degreed a cam before, but heard of it being done, does it make that much of a difference ?

It makes a difference if it's not installed correctly. You can have the key in the crank off a bit, the key in the cam off a bit, you can have the groove in the crank gear off a bit, you can have the groove in the cam gear off a bit or worse yet, some of all of it.

That's why the cam should always be degreed. That stuff is all made by humans and humans ain't perfect. The only way to KNOW where the cam is at is to degree it. A few degrees can make a big difference. Especially when you are short of gear like you are.

The heads are a closed chamber 63 cc, according to Dave Hughes the Pistons in the 340 come out of the deck by 6 thou and with the icon Pistons he sold me in his words would be exactly 10-1 compression
Can you give us a model number on the Icon piston? That '6 thou out of the hole' number does not make sense so we can research it for you if we get a PN. Tnx.

The same goes for the springs PN; can you give us the Hughes PN on the valve springs? Telling us that they came from Hughes does not really tell anyone anything.

As above.... 'being done' at 5400 RPM is not making sense with this cam spec of 232 @ .050". PRH is IMHO saying one half : the top end RPM range is being cut off by the springs not being good enough to stay stable. This is a higher RPM cam.. not the highest range cam by any means but not 1500-5400. Do you have a Hughes PN for the cam?

And YR is going at the other possible half of the problem: This is not a small cam, and the low end RPM's are not going to start at 1500..... closer to 2800-ish IMHO. If you engage the clutch at an RPM range below that, then the engine is going to be sluggish/boggy until it gets revved up. The manual trans is unforgiving of a poor low RPM setup.

Several folks are really trying to help you, but something is not hanging together, and PN info will help.

Last edited:
Like I said earlier, my guess is it’s running just fine....... and is just not what the OP was expecting.
If the cam is off a couple degrees, sure that would help if it was right..... same for the compression.
If it’s 9.5 instead of 10....... making it 10 would help....... but neither of those things is going to transform the motor into a totally different beast....... unless something is pretty far off.

As for the powerband..... for comparison:
340+.030, very mild bowl port 587’s w-2.02 intake(never flowed, but almost certainly less than 220cfm), std performer intake, Comp 268h([email protected]), 650dp carb, 1-5/8” headers....... peak tq@3800, peak hp@5200.
That’s with way less head, intake, and cam than the OP’s build.

If the valvetrain held on to say 6000-ish, I’d expect the OP’s build to get over 400hp.

Last edited:
Can you give us a model number on the Icon piston? That '6 thou out of the hole' number does not make sense so we can research it for you if we get a PN. Tnx.

The same goes for the springs PN; can you give us the Hughes PN on the valve springs? Telling us that they came from Hughes does not really tell anyone anything.

As above.... 'being done' at 5400 RPM is not making sense with this cam spec of 232 @ .050". PRH is IMHO saying one half : the top end RPM range is being cut off by the springs not being good enough to stay stable. This is a higher RPM cam.. not the highest range cam by any means but not 1500-5400. Do you have a Hughes PN for the cam?

And YR is going at the other possible half of the problem: This is not a small cam, and the low end RPM's are not going to start at 1500..... closer to 2800-ish IMHO. If you engage the clutch at an RPM range below that, then the engine is going to be sluggish/boggy until it gets revved up. The manual trans is unforgiving of a poor low RPM setup.

Several folks are really trying to help you, but something is not hanging together, and PN info will help.
I will get some numbers for you, it's very cool watching you people help out, there are some clever individuales on here. Thank you very much.

It makes a difference if it's not installed correctly. You can have the key in the crank off a bit, the key in the cam off a bit, you can have the groove in the crank gear off a bit, you can have the groove in the cam gear off a bit or worse yet, some of all of it.

That's why the cam should always be degreed. That stuff is all made by humans and humans ain't perfect. The only way to KNOW where the cam is at is to degree it. A few degrees can make a big difference. Especially when you are short of gear like you are.
Thank you

-
Back