340 cam in a 318

-
Awesome, this is the information that I was looking for. Since I'm not going for a lot of horsepower, can I use a a 500-600 cfm carburetor and a performer intake?
Well, the TQ is more cfm. If using an Edelbrock or Holley, go 600 ish.

Last edited:
While we are on the subject, let's talk about camshafts. Now we all know the 340 cam is no longer available but most every grinder has a copy. Not all are close but close enough for a street cruiser. Is the automatic cam a better choice than the 4 speed cam? @krazykuda has done a lot of legwork to make a close copy.
I used a close copy of that. It was a Clevite cam. Ran harder mid to top than the auto cam. But, needed more convertor with an auto trans. Liked deeper gear too. Like 3.55 at a minimum.

I used a close copy of that. It was a Clevite cam. Ran harder mid to top than the auto cam. But, needed more convertor with an auto trans. Liked deeper gear too. Like 3.55 at a minimum.
There you have it. That's what a lot of guys say but the other half doesn't believe it. I was thinking seriously about a cam for my teen but it's a lot of work just to bump it up a notch. If a 340 cam needs rear gears and a converter I really don't need it.

There you have it. That's what a lot of guys say but the other half doesn't believe it. I was thinking seriously about a cam for my teen but it's a lot of work just to bump it up a notch. If a 340 cam needs reargears and a converter I really don't need it.
the stock 318 camshaft will run harder with an aftermarket converter and 3.55's as well.

... So the answer to your question is install a 340 cam, change the timing chain to double roller timing chain, and dual exhaust... That is the minimum needed to wake up a stock 318 with minimal budget... :steering:

I'd also add 340 valve springs and viton positive seals while you are at it.

While we are on the subject, let's talk about camshafts. Now we all know the 340 cam is no longer available but most every grinder has a copy. Not all are close but close enough for a street cruiser. Is the automatic cam a better choice than the 4 speed cam? @krazykuda has done a lot of legwork to make a close copy.

For a stock 318, I would go with the 340 auto cam, the 4 speed cam is a little big for the stock 318 compression...

Last edited:
For a stock 318, I would go with the 340 auto cam, the 4 speed cam is a little big for the stock 318...
Can we put put a list of cams together for the guys? I have a few written down.

There you have it. That's what a lot of guys say but the other half doesn't believe it. I was thinking seriously about a cam for my teen but it's a lot of work just to bump it up a notch. If a 340 cam needs rear gears and a converter I really don't need it.

I ran mine with stock converter and 2.76 gears without any issues... 17.75 MPG on the highway....

Factory cam or aftermarket?

Factory cam out of my brother's Lil' Red Express that he removed to install a bigger cam....

We ran the Crane 340 grind in our Warlock II with a 360 band it ran great... gained 2 - 2.5 more MPG and pulled our car on a trailer much better... I would put the transfer case in low and race the local fox body mustangs off the lights and was only at the back of their fender at 45 MPH... They were pissed that a 1/2 ton 4 x 4 could give them that hard of a run....

Awesome, this is the information that I was looking for. Since I'm not going for a lot of horsepower, can I use a a 500-600 cfm carburetor and a performer intake?

Yes, but I'm not a fan of the performer intake...

LD4B Edelbrock, Weiand Stealth, or Performer RPM....

When you take a 50 yo engine and rebuild it, everything is on the table.
Sure, bore it. Raise compression? Why not.
Cam it, yup, a lot to pick from. Intake? Yup again. Why run. 40lb cast iron?
- the question is - what do you expect?
Reliability? Or Race-ablity.
Mpg? Torque?
Options are out there.
Opinions are like *ssh0les. My proctologist has seen a bunch. Though, I wouldn’t let him build my engine. - Butt, I’m sure he would wear gloves.
- gettin deep here!

340 cam is a good choice for a 318.
No Regrets

Screenshot_20211208-091740_Gallery.jpg

But.............................looks like you have some nice heads there. What's the rest of your combo?

Good eye, I was testing people. That is actually A stock 360 with stock open chamber heads with new valves and port matched to new Edelbrock large port Intake gaskets. With the 340 cam installed.

How many millions of pictures do you guys think I have on hand to explain the tasks at hand? Lol . . .

1125171725.jpg

Good eye, I was testing people. That is actually A stock 360 with stock open chamber heads with new valves and port matched to new Edelbrock large port Intake gaskets. With the 340 cam installed.

How many millions of pictures do you guys think I have on hand to explain the tasks at hand? Lol . . .

View attachment 1715911169
Cheater! :poke::poke::poke::lol:

That's awesome. What cylinder heads, intake manifold and carburetor are you running with the 340 cam.
See what you did George! :lol::poke::lol:

318,340,etc by the outward appearance you can't tell one from the other.

I put a .474/280 MP cam in a stock 318. That is for sure larger than a 340 cam. I put a TQ on top. It was faster. I won races. Even with my stock TC and 2.76 gears.

See what you did George! :lol::poke::lol:
All I was wanting to know was about people's personal experiences with a 340 cam in a 318, did they notice a performance gain,what other modifications did they do if any when they went with the 340 cam? I know that the 340 cam isn't available anymore so what would be pretty close to it? I've been reading up on the Howard's cam 255* / 261* and it has been recommended by a couple of guys. Is a lunati or a comp xe grind of similar specs worth looking into? Opinions are good, but I'm looking for guys who have had personal experiences with any of these cams.

All I was wanting to know was about people's personal experiences with a 340 cam in a 318, did they notice a performance gain,what other modifications did they do if any when they went with the 340 cam? I know that the 340 cam isn't available anymore so what would be pretty close to it? I've been reading up on the Howard's cam 255* / 261* and it has been recommended by a couple of guys. Is a lunati or a comp xe grind of similar specs worth looking into? Opinions are good, but I'm looking for guys who have had personal experiences with any of these cams.
and each and every guy that actually put a 340 cam in a 318 has spoken - and all responses were positive and a gain of power.

I put a .474/280 MP cam in a stock 318. That is for sure larger than a 340 cam. I put a TQ on top. It was faster. I won races. Even with my stock TC and 2.76 gears.
Wouldn't the compression ratio be to low to support that cam

-
Back