340 Camshaft

-

Russ Knight

Reaction score
I have a stock 340 325hp with low miles on it. Looking to go to a little more aggressive camshaft, but not anything that would require mods other than perhaps 1.6 rockers. Will be used primarily on the street with the occasional strip runs. Suggestions?

Probably need ti be concerned about valve springs if upgrading the camshaft. Exactly how "stock" are we talking here?

I'm dating myself here, but the old Street Hemi grind is a nice upgrade to a 340 cam that shouldn't require new springs (unless they're tired).
And it still generates enough vacuum for power brakes if you have them, and not mess with your vacuum secondaries too badly.

Type 340 cam in the search box. THere may be 100 threads on the subject. Study up! You will learn a lot from previous teachings.
I have a stock 340 325hp with low miles on it. Looking to go to a little more aggressive camshaft, but not anything that would require mods other than perhaps 1.6 rockers. Will be used primarily on the street with the occasional strip runs. Suggestions?

What rear gears are you running ?
4 gear or auto ?
Guessing by saying 325 hp your saying you got the high cr & 2.02 340.

Stock specs are something like this
268/276 210/220 @50 429/444 lift 114 lsa.

Could go to popular 110 lsa add 0.040-0.050" + lift and 5 to 15 degrees @ .050" depends on what you are looking for, something like (or other brands with similar specs) comp cams xe262h or xe268h pretty popular upgrades.

Last edited:
I'm dating myself here, but the old Street Hemi grind is a nice upgrade to a 340 cam that shouldn't require new springs (unless they're tired).
And it still generates enough vacuum for power brakes if you have them, and not mess with your vacuum secondaries too badly.
Great cam, but WHERE can you get one?

A "stock". 340./ 325 hp ???

And thank you to those who were kind enough to offer helpful comments.
What rear gears and tire size you running or plan on running?

Above 220 degrees you start really moving peak tq up in rpm trading bottom for top, the deeper the gear (3.55 +) and shorter the tire (27" or less) the more you can get away with moving peak torque up in rpms especially if you run a decent stall. Trick is the fine the line your happy with, if not sure and driveability is very important don't stray to far from stock.

Last edited:
How much more "aggressive" are you looking for? I ask because Oregon Cam Grinders offers the 340 4 speed camshaft. They will also grind it on a tighter LSA so that would make it pretty substantial say on a 108 if they can move it that far. Ken is a master cam grinder and if anyone can do it, he can.

Wait… what are the tire sizes and the gear ratio your running?

By a little bit of an upgrade, everything else is staying stock aside from your listed mods?

Your engine is very close to my old 340. Stock 340 long block with rpm intake, headers, 750 dp and mopar 280 474 cam. With 3.55s, 2400 stall and drag radials it ran 13.15 at 102 at 3550 lbs. Can't get that cam now, but a comp 280 magnum or 280 purple plus would work fine.

transmission, gear and tire size would weigh heavily on my decision. then i'd balance that with the type of use/driving i was planning on.

i'd probably look for something +1 off a stock 340 cam. howards makes a bunch of "old skool" single pattern type grinds that are reminiscent of MP purple shaft grinds-- if that's your jam. they also have their "street force" line, which is dual pattern and reasonable on lift & duration number (there's several variations) i've run the street force 2 in a 360 and was pleased.

there's also the crower compu-pro which is similar in design and worth looking at.

i'd go for maximum shenanigans and run a solid, because nothing shores up bonafides like: 340 6-pack solid cam.

What head castings do you have and what’s your compression? Manual transmission or automatic and rear gears? If automatic, what stall? Are you prepared to upgrade the valve springs? If going with a 1.6 adjustable roller rocker, I’d go with this cam and matching springs. Im fairly sure that this is the street force II that @junkyardhero mentioned. It’s on a 108 LSA, which is optimal for the 2.02 intake 340. The intake centerline is on a 104, but if you’re gearing is a little high and converter is a little tight then you could install it on a 100 ICL.
Howards, Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft, Chrysler SB 273-360, 221/221 @ .050, .470/.470, 108 LS-Competition Products

that one is super close to the MP 480, and would be a great choice.
i've ran this one and thought it to be very decent:

and i like this one if you've got some compression and a 4spd:
DODGE Howards Cams 711651-10 Howards Cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts | Summit Racing

either way i'd be for sure matching the springs to the cam. aftermarket/roller rockers would be kind of an after thought for me, i mean they're cool but unless i was going solid i wouldn't consider them necessary for the build.

cam selection can be such an objective decision but it's one that has to fall within the operating parameters of the engine itself. deciding on what your compromises are and how much you're willing to change (and spend) up front can make the decision a little bit easier.

I have a 69 Barracuda with a 340, 4 Speed and a 3.55 Sure Grip and headers. About 12 years ago, I added an Edelbrock Air Gap, 750 CFM carb and a Comp XE268 cam kit (cam, lifters springs). It is an awesome cam. It sounds great and has lots of power. I can melt the rear tires. This combo is good for 375 HP. If you want more power, look into the Comp XE272. It's a little more aggressive and will give you more power.

-
Back