340 cars value question

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
Is there any extra value of a factory 340 or 383 car if the original engine and other parts are long gone?

I see cars listed all the time that are factory 340 & 383 cars but you look at the pictures and all the high dollar items like engine block, intake, carb, exhaust manifolds, stock wheels, hub caps, and on and on are gone. Yet the owner seems to think the car is worth more because it's a factory 340/383 car.

I personally don't value a 340 car missing all the factory goodies differently than say an identical equipped car that came with a slant 6 from the factory. Just wondering what the consensus was among the group.

In my opinion if it's not original and numbers matching then the value would be decreased, unless the car has been restored and has had a lot of money invested, even with a different engine etc. With that said it would be a value of a different sort.

well, i have bought alot of a bodies that were in fact real 340 cars, and even without the drivetrain, they will bring more money that a /6 or 318 car of the same quality.

the only ones that do not sell easily as they should would be the 73 340 dusters. they have trouble selling witout the drivetrain.

well, i have bought alot of a bodies that were in fact real 340 cars, and even without the drivetrain, they will bring more money that a /6 or 318 car of the same quality.

the only ones that do not sell easily as they should would be the 73 340 dusters. they have trouble selling witout the drivetrain.

thats funny you mention that. i pretty much bought mine within 20 minutes of looking at it, granted it had the drivetrain in it lol...

It's very difficult finding a #'s matching car anymore. The next phase that restorers are getting into is installing proper date coded engines and transmissions. These cars are still bringing in good $'s considering the market.

Performance models are always worth more than non performance models (given that both cars are in the same condition).

How much more....... That really depends. Could only be $100 could be $10,000.

It's very difficult finding a #'s matching car anymore. The next phase that restorers are getting into is installing proper date coded engines and transmissions. These cars are still bringing in good $'s considering the market.

I agree for a decent price...I still consider mine numbers matching..but some would NOT..I do not have nor do I have any clue where the Fender tag or build sheet is ive looked all the normal places(seats under side,glove box back side.etc.etc) but the Vin number, tranny numbers,and engine numbers all match..yeah,yeh I guess someone could have swapped out the vin and block but its a 1983 Dart Sport lol....not a high value car anyways I just dont see someone over 10 yeas ago(since its been in the family that long) going through the trouble...as back then it was bought for $4,000 even as a #'s matching car...I guess even though not "fully" documented with a fender tag and build sheet id still call it #'s matching and a step above say a properly "date coded" type of car. I noticed 3 73/74 Dusters or Dart Sports with 340's in them SELL(not asking SELL) at Carlisle today for over $10,000 they were asking between $13,500-12,000 one brought $10,000 he other 11,500 I believe..they were very nice but not "perfect"...I remember not that long ago when I saw a AWESOMELY restored 70 Demon go for $10,000 lol/im talking almost showroom looking nice.

Todays Carlisle run made me take my Dart Sport340 off the market :) thats for sure.

I agree for a decent price...I still consider mine numbers matching..but some would NOT..I do not have nor do I have any clue where the Fender tag or build sheet is ive looked all the normal places(seats under side,glove box back side.etc.etc) but the Vin number, tranny numbers,and engine numbers all match..yeah,yeh I guess someone could have swapped out the vin and block but its a 1983 Dart Sport lol....not a high value car anyways I just dont see someone over 10 yeas ago(since its been in the family that long) going through the trouble...as back then it was bought for $4,000 even as a #'s matching car...I guess even though not "fully" documented with a fender tag and build sheet id still call it #'s matching and a step above say a properly "date coded" type of car. I noticed 3 73/74 Dusters or Dart Sports with 340's in them SELL(not asking SELL) at Carlisle today for over $10,000 they were asking between $13,500-12,000 one brought $10,000 he other 11,500 I believe..they were very nice but not "perfect"...I remember not that long ago when I saw a AWESOMELY restored 70 Demon go for $10,000 lol/im talking almost showroom looking nice.

Todays Carlisle run made me take my Dart Sport340 off the market :) thats for sure.

so after reading this quote i feel alot better about myself for only paying 5k for my duster knowing the internals of the engine alone are worth that!!!:toothy7:

Is there any extra value of a factory 340 or 383 car if the original engine and other parts are long gone?

I see cars listed all the time that are factory 340 & 383 cars but you look at the pictures and all the high dollar items like engine block, intake, carb, exhaust manifolds, stock wheels, hub caps, and on and on are gone. Yet the owner seems to think the car is worth more because it's a factory 340/383 car.

I personally don't value a 340 car missing all the factory goodies differently than say an identical equipped car that came with a slant 6 from the factory. Just wondering what the consensus was among the group.

a 340 or 383 car will always bring more money then a 318 or slant car in the same condition ( we are talking abodies here right?). but non numbers matching numbers will drop the value some. theres nothing like matching numbers. closest thing is all date coded stuff. its about as close to matching numbers as you can get sometimes but the matching number car will be worth more.

Yeah, I looked at a 71 Duster yesterday factory 340 car with 3 speed stick. The guy was asking 15K, which I thought was a bit much after finding out that the engine was not original to the car. The car was in decent shape and repainted, paint was at least a 20 footer, stripes not aligned, seats worn out etc.

Well if you take a 71 demon /6 and compare it to a 71 340 demon, the 340 car will usually have bigger brakes, 8 3/4, better springs, sway bar, V8 k frame, 340 torsion bars, rally dash, v8 wiring harness etc..etc.. Now if your talking about a true shell with everything missing and there were two side by side one a /6 car and one a H code i bet even you would pick the one with the H in the vin.

-
Back