340 date codes

-

chessman90

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 4 speed car. I am wondering what casting numbers i need to look for in order to get a matching numbers block? The scheduled production date compliments from my fender tag is 2/18/1970. I would also like to find date coded heads, intake, carburetor, transmission everything; are there any good sources available online that will tell me all this information?

Thanks

There is only 1 block for your car,the non T/A block 68-73,2780930-340.
The casting date is above or below the casting number on the side of the block,which is at the bacl side of the block.Secondary codes are also on the block at the front drivers side below the head.You will find a number like this:
F340P0018 10 16.
The intake is 3462848 for the four barrel,two numbers for the 6 pack model.
The carb,depending on the tranny,4 speed or auto,and if you want a 4 barrel or six pack,but first check your tag for code H51 or N95 or no code,as this determine the carb choise.
The tranny codes are stamped on the tranny.Manual trannys,have a 1 inch by 2 inch stamping pad on th right side of the tranny,and should have the vin number or parts of it stamped on it,automatics have the 17 digit code on the side of thranny,just above the oil pan rail.
For even more decoding info,go to ; www.mymopar.com and check out the tool reference page for more info.
Mrmopartech 450 424 0445

I "might" have the intake you're talking about. I'd have to check the numbers. I also have an AVS for the intake, but it's from an auto trans car. Where are you located?

I might have a block with a date that would fit the time frame of your car.Let me know if you are interested.I Have other 340 parts also.

what your looking for is a "date coded block". unless you find your original engine block, you will not get a numbers matching block. usually casting date is within a couple of months prior to build date of car and stamp date for building of engine is within about a month. mrmopartech should be able to tell you the exact time period.

I would look for a block dated any were from 11-69 to late Jan - 70.

-
Back