340 duster will not start after storage

-

beerboy

Reaction score
this is actually my 2nd posting about this. having trouble starting my 73 duster 340 after sitting since November, primed the carb, pumped the pedal, no fire up. oil pressure is up, battery cranks good. any how I just had a guy that works on classics that if I keep cranking this I could wreck the lobes on my cam! any truth to this? this car ran and started good when I put it in the garage. nothing was touched, now no start.so this cam thing is really got me going. any body heard of this happening? now I am nervous about even cranking the motor ! still have to check spark by the way.

oil pressure is up?how do you know this?do you have spark?you need to see.spark and fuel = combustion

has a stewart warner oil pressure gauge that does work . I know the fuel spark thing, looking for some input on this cam lobe thing

on the cam ,if its a new cam id be worried.since it has been run a while i would not worry about the lobes trying to start it.back to the basics

not a brand new cam, car was bought from mopar dealer mechanic in sept. had the car since 1980, I just talked to him , and he never mentioned any thing about messing the cam cranking the motor, I will check spark, seems to be getting fuel, plugs wires look brand new , may be mice chewing on something, still checking that stuff out, like I say when I heard about the cam lobe thing I just got more pissed off then I already was

going to bite the bullet and have a pro look at this, as I don,t have the time to mess with it now. we all know what a pain in the rear electrical / ignition problems are. getting fuel in carb, but no spark, so could be a lot things. I am pretty handy , but this can get crazy. and frustrating, I changed the ballast , still nothing, so it could be a bad wire, or gound, coil, whatever.i don,t want to keep cranking the hell out of the car , burn out the starter or start bigger problems

going to bite the bullet and have a pro look at this, as I don,t have the time to mess with it now. we all know what a pain in the rear electrical / ignition problems are. getting fuel in carb, but no spark, so could be a lot things. I am pretty handy , but this can get crazy. and frustrating, I changed the ballast , still nothing, so it could be a bad wire, or gound, coil, whatever.i don,t want to keep cranking the hell out of the car , burn out the starter or start bigger problems

Are you pumping the pedal while cranking her over? ALWAYS a must with mine

this is actually my 2nd posting about this.

You need to STOP making new postings. Some of us don't find it "fun" to look up your old ones and try to find where "you've been."

What have you DONE actually, about checking the starting spark? About fuel?

Have you run a compression / leakdown test on the engine?

How do the plugs look? Does this thing use oil?

How old is the fuel?

You actually CHECKED the spark? Made any voltage measurements? What exactly have you DONE?

Replaced?

Checked?

You cannot just stand there an drink a beer and "wish" it would start

You cannot just "guess."

You have to actually try and diagnose it. Post what you have checked and done so far

If the car won't start after you store it, THEN DON'T STORE IT!!!

Drive it every day....

You need to STOP making new postings. Some of us don't find it "fun" to look up your old ones and try to find where "you've been."

What have you DONE actually, about checking the starting spark? About fuel?

Have you run a compression / leakdown test on the engine?

How do the plugs look? Does this thing use oil?

How old is the fuel?

You actually CHECKED the spark? Made any voltage measurements? What exactly have you DONE?

Replaced? c
Checked?

You cannot just stand there an drink a beer and "wish" it would start

You cannot just "guess."

You have to actually try and diagnose it. Post what you have checked and done so far

got the car going in march, and no I didn,t stand there with a beer and wishing things

Is the choke stuck open?

Or the float stuck up and not letting gas get into the carb?

I am near buffalo and Syracuse n.y where we have a pile of snow 7 monthes of the year, that kinda tells the sorage story

Used to drive my Mg-bgt 12 months a year and we can teach you something about
snow ! :)

The folks here are just trying to help but expect you to try on your end as well...and to communicate it...that way, they are not covering the same ground..

Most of the advice you get from here is better than a mechanic most times..not sure what a professional mechanic is.. just go back and look what the joker said about your cam lobes..if you are getting oil pressure, there should be absolutely no problems withthe wearing of lobes...

I don,t know how this got posted again , must have done it by mistake, car started awhile back in the spring and runs fine. I appreciated all the help. the beer jokes can end. like I say I do not know how this got posted again!!!!!!

I don,t know how this got posted again , must have done it by mistake, car started awhile back in the spring and runs fine. I appreciated all the help. the beer jokes can end. like I say I do not know how this got posted again!!!!!!

when someone posts in your thread it gets bumped to the top

it was Brenda65 the not-so female dude who bumped your thread, look at the dates

yea I see the dates , whats with the bumping thing. how do I stop it from happening? makes me look like a dope, I fixed the car myself, along with a lot of other stuff on it. so whats with this Brenda dude / chick or what ever they are?

-
Back