340 electrical problem

-

73duster727

Reaction score
In my 1973 340 i will turn the key over and it will start up perfect then i will drive around for about 5 minutes and it will shut off with no warning. Then it will not turnover at all and there is no spark, by the time i tow it home and try starting it up again it will run perfect again. I have put in a new ignition switch, wiring harness, coil, ballast and battery. What else could be causing this issue? Thanks

Coil i had the same thing happen to me last year scary in the middle of an intersection!

If it doesn't turn over, it may be a wire possibly running to the starter. It sounds like you have a break in one of your wires, when it heats up it expands and pulls apart and after it cools it contracts and makes contact again. Good Luck.

Do you have the MP electronic ignition?

Check the reluctor gap in the distributor to the pick-up should be 0.007" with a brass (non-magnetic) feeler gauge. I've seen brand new ones at .030"

Then it will not turnover at all

Let's clarify terminology?

"not turnover" do you mean the engine will not try to fire, or that it will not crank on the starter?

What do you have for an ignition system, exactly?

I agree with above, the coil is a fair guess but there are some simple checks you can make once we know what you have for a system.

Turnover is a pastry.

Engines do not crank, i.e., do nothing, or they crank and do not start, or they crank and start then do not stay running.

All else is confusion.

Turnover is a pastry.

Engines do not crank, i.e., do nothing, or they crank and do not start, or they crank and start then do not stay running.

All else is confusion.

You are starting to sound like ...............me!!

If it does crank but not start when it does this check and crimp the distributor pigtail.

I had one car that did what you describe, and one that wouldn't start (no spark) when it was cold but would after it warmed up outside.

Both were that pigtail loosing connection, so I removed it and wired the distributor direct and never a problem after that with either one.

my 73 340 duster did the same thing...it was the bulk head...if you wiggle the wiring harness where it goes in the firewall it was run...and then die...and nothing would work...

-
Back