340 eng in a 65'GT?

-

oldmopardude

Reaction score
I'm about ready to Install a drivetrain in my 65' dart GT. it is and will be a four speed car. 340 or 273? Ther are obvious issues to do so, please Look at my post in members restorations. any advice would be appreciated!

If you drive it every day, I'd go with the 273, mild cam, 500cfm 4-bbl, headers and a 3.23 gear. A buddy did that in a similar car he got around 18MPG, a little better on the highway.
If you want more power, go with the 340.

If your goal is to restore it back to original then the 273 should be used as the 340 didn't come out until 1968.

My 65 GT convertible was originally a slant/904. I've got a couple of 340s (and slants) so I decided to go with one of the 340s and 904. I've got everything required for a V8 swap - gas pedal assembly, dropped center link, 8.75, etc etc. When and if I get tired of the 340, I'll have a built slant to go back in except it will be running triple Webers. Years ago I had a d69 Charger and my wife always joked that I had a velcro-mounted engine in it - had everything from a 318 to a 440 in it.. Here's the triple Weber set-up for a slant

Attachments

• intakes 009.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 227
I/ve resisted the 340 because of the need to re-enforce the crossmember, and I don't care for headers.Not to mention as you said the 273 get much better mileage. I will be travelling a good deal with it, and Installing vintage A/C. when I'm done.

There's some money there, a Very valuable piece! I would like to see the linkage setup if you do that !

There's some money there, a Very valuable piece! I would like to see the linkage setup if you do that !

If I end up with this set-up in my GT, I'll be sure to take plenty of pics. Slowly working on my 65 Dart wagon right now. For it's powerplant it will be getting a slant with a different style of exotic induction!

Attachments

• intakes 008.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 219
I'd like to see the progress on the wagon. I'm keeping my eyes open for an early wagon as my next project. I too was thinking of a mild build slanty!!!

The 65' dart wagons were really fun to drive, and they look so different today. If I spot one I may have to grab it! Thanks for all the advice!

273 and logs. Don't mess with headers....if you want headers go with the slant.

273 and logs. Don't mess with headers....if you want headers go with the slant.

The 340 with a 4 speed brings alot of hassles- larger bellhousing for larger clutch- problems with clutch Z bar....
Use stock exhaust with Commando repro exhaust- awesome tone....

I'm about ready to Install a drivetrain in my 65' dart GT. it is and will be a four speed car. 340 or 273? Ther are obvious issues to do so, please Look at my post in members restorations. any advice would be appreciated!

I'm putting a 66 dart convertible together. Went with a 318 mild cam, edelbrock intake. .030 over with 360 heads. 600 AVS. Gonna dress it like the 273 charger. Got the valve covers and air cleaner on line. Kinda stealthy!!

I dropped a 340 4-speed in my 66 and it was easy, larger bell was no problem and all parts to change over the bigger clutch set-up is available through Brewers Performance.

The OP stated that the "frame or crossmember" needed to be beefed up? Is It rusty? If not, then there is plenty of strength for a 340, the frame is the same on the early-a cars.

-
Back