340 engine mount bracket

-

ChuckDock

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm upgrading from a 273 to a 340 in a 67 cuda. I'm dealing with the drivers side engine mount issue. I read that a 318 drivers side should work with additional spacers.
Does it matter what car the 318 bracket came off of? A, B, E, etc?
Ideally I'd like the right bracket but they seem too hard to find, even new.
I saw a bent one listed in the classified for 100 bucks, but I'd rather go for something a little more reasonable.
Thanks!

Car body line has no effect on the engine mounted bracket. You can use washers to fill the space very well for a minimal amount of squeeze on the bracket.

The last 4 posts on this Moparts thread explains the differences pretty well.

318 and 360 motor mount, the same?

Here's a couple more pics.

A vs B and E brkts (1).jpg

A vs B and E brkts (2).jpg

Last edited:
Ouch! Caught with my pants down.

Thanks for that picture and correction!

your 273 bracket should be the same as a 318 bracket if you have it on hand.
Well, the passenger side is, but the drivers side is way wider than the tabs on the 340.
But, I just found some 318 brackets on ebay so I'll have to modify the drivers side to fit once I have them.

Well, the passenger side is, but the drivers side is way wider than the tabs on the 340.
But, I just found some 318 brackets on ebay so I'll have to modify the drivers side to fit once I have them.

Don’t know if possible in your case, but I would be inclined to modify just my own single 273 mount, rather than buying a pair of 318 mounts, and still having to modify one side anyway.

Don’t know if possible in your case, but I would be inclined to modify just my own single 273 mount, rather than buying a pair of 318 mounts, and still having to modify one side anyway.
I thought about that but the mod to the 318 bracket looks much easier than the mod to my 273 bracket. I really hate the idea I have to mod anything because the drivers side seems like the one that has to handle the engine power more than the passenger side, and the motor I'm putting in should make 450 horse. And I don't weld very well...lol. But the 318 bracket just needs the tab welded on, and that should be easy to weld. Well, easy'ish...

Post a want ad here, also make sure its NOT a truck mount. I believe it needs to be an a body car mount. 450hp MIGHT be at the point of where you may need to step up to a better "than stock" mount.
No idea why all the SB's dont share the same mount, like you said foolish.

Post a want ad here, also make sure its NOT a truck mount. I believe it needs to be an a body car mount. 450hp MIGHT be at the point of where you may need to step up to a better "than stock" mount.
No idea why all the SB's dont share the same mount, like you said foolish.
Yup, may have lost some dollars if the ebay mounts are from a truck. Lots of ways this won't go right, lol. No real way to tell either, but I'm hopeful. If they are wrong, I may go with just trying to fabricate the mount from my old one like Mopar4me mentioned. I've seen where people chain down that side of the motor as well, in addition to the mount...isn't pretty but may be an option.

Hey all,
I'm upgrading from a 273 to a 340 in a 67 cuda. I'm dealing with the drivers side engine mount issue. I read that a 318 drivers side should work with additional spacers.
Does it matter what car the 318 bracket came off of? A, B, E, etc?
Ideally I'd like the right bracket but they seem too hard to find, even new.
I saw a bent one listed in the classified for 100 bucks, but I'd rather go for something a little more reasonable.
Thanks!
I bought one from Shop - Hiltop Auto Parts. He might have another one lying around.

318 or 273 brackets should be same or am I missing something? I have heard of people using washers to take up the space on a 318 bracket for a 340/360. I can see no reason to buy 318 brackets to mod them the same as the brackets you have now.

318 or 273 brackets should be same or am I missing something? I have heard of people using washers to take up the space on a 318 bracket for a 340/360. I can see no reason to buy 318 brackets to mod them the same as the brackets you have now.

I agree. Unless my memory is totally failing me, 273 and 318 block mounting ears are the same, and a bracket for one will exactly fit the other. Likewise, 340 and 360 are the same, and a 273 or 318 bracket will need to be slightly modified to fit the 340/360 block ears. So - if you already have the 273 mount brackets, use them.

On the driver's side, four washers on the rear bolt will be sufficient to adapt the 273 mount to a 340 or 360 block.

On the passenger side, weld a triangle on the side of the 273 bracket that has one bolt hole, to match the other side, then drill one hole. Presto: a 340/360 mount bracket. (Edit: I should add that later passenger-side brackets had four mounting holes, and so would fit either 273/318 or 340/360. Can't remember when Ma Mopar started doing this, but am pretty sure it was sometime in the early seventies.)

Here's my 65 Barracuda driver's side 273 mount bracket bolted to a 340 block. The 65 273 bracket is different than 67-later 273/318 brackets, but the width is the same, and how you make it fit a 340/360 block is the same.

20200223_232128.jpg

Last edited:
I agree. Unless my memory is totally failing me, 273 and 318 block mounting ears are the same, and a bracket for one will exactly fit the other. Likewise, 340 and 360 are the same, and a 273 or 318 bracket will need to be slightly modified to fit the 340/360 block ears. So - if you already have the 273 mount brackets, use them.

On the driver's side, four washers on the rear bolt will be sufficient to adapt the 273 mount to a 340 or 360 block.

On the passenger side, weld a triangle on the side of the 273 bracket that has one bolt hole, to match the other side, then drill one hole. Presto: a 340/360 mount bracket.

Here's my 65 Barracuda driver's side 273 mount bracket bolted to a 340 block. The 65 273 bracket is different than 67-later 273/318 brackets, but the width is the same, and how you make it fit a 340/360 block is the same.

View attachment 1715476080
I probably did screw up when ordering the 318 brackets. Well, at least I can cut the tab off one and weld to what I have. I wonder if these modifications end up moving the insulator hole to a different position? Hopefully not, and probably not but a half inch off on a mount ends up putting the trans tail shaft off a lot more than that. I'm sure folks would have noticed that though, and mentioned it.

-
Back