340 exhaust heat shield needed for Van's to repop.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was doing an accurate restoration, I would GLADLY pay $300 for a part that is otherwise unobtainable. Sometimes people really crack me up. They ***** and complain because certain parts are not being repopped. Then, when a company drops a fortune on making the part, and charges an appropriate amount so as to recoup its investment, they complain about the cost. I don't think people realize how expensive it is to bring a new part to market.
I know that its expensive, but they don't need to recoup their initial investment all at once, spread it out over time. How many years has the rear valance panel been out and it's still $400, that's greed

Do you have any idea what cutting and stamping dies cost Dan? Give your forkin head a shake...

I have one I bought around 2010 ish
From a dealership in Texas I believe
Still haven’t used it
One of the buy it now or cry when unobtainable
Not for sale but think I’ll give them a call to offer it for trade
Tooling costs would be $$$$

Last edited:
As you know, this has been a tough one to find for years.
Don't be surprised if vans reproduces it, and charges $300+ for the dam thing.

i don't know.. vans have been pretty decent on prices with quite a few things.. rear lil red express bumper and repo door mittors for the express truck.. both were priced fairly in my opinoion and looked very nice.

I want one, it has to be NOS. Will build a car around it.
1713311405064.png

Stamped Steel Exhaust Gasket > then rivet a "Gull Wing" upper to it.

Hammer out the upper gull wing with old school blacksmithing techniques.

Hammer and Anvil

20240416_200635.png

☆☆☆☆☆

With today's Lazer scanners and cutters/cad. 3d printing in resin and metal 5axis cnc mills it's easier than ever. Make them out of stainless!

If it were that ‘easy’ or ‘simple’ or ‘cheap’ or ‘inexpensive’ to make quality reproduction parts, everybody would be in the parts business.

You gotta pay to play.

OK fellas, THis thread is not a "Bash Dan" thread.

Then quit being such a tightwad. They ain't getting any cheaper.
That's no joke. I've changed my outlook on seeing the negative side of a car and looking more at the possibilities of it. The only thing that I can't change is one that needs major rust repair as I'm on a fixed income. I have good leads that I was recently given and I'm looking into them

My buddy Tom Weidman was repopping these about 5 years ago. He worked for Mancini and was trying to get them to stock them. He showed me the prototype, but I’ve not seen them for sale….ever. Wonder what happened?

My buddy Tom Weidman was repopping these about 5 years ago. He worked for Mancini and was trying to get them to stock them. He showed me the prototype, but I’ve not seen them for sale….ever. Wonder what happened?
Probably like most, when you find out the tooling is approaching 6 figures you walk away...

I bought a reproduction heat shield 15-20 years or so back still bolted onto my 340. They were reproducing them and they were readily available years back. Maybe the stamps wore out? Just like 340 manifold were reproduced then stopped. Don't know but I think people will pay up for reproduction 340 manifolds and heat shields. I think buyers are out there.

As far as cost, buy heat shield for hobby car probably last forever on car thats only driven in nice weather. So one time expense most likely. Spark plug wires will be a lot happier thats for sure.

And....... What about the 318 shields, 340's won't work on a teen, less you change the heads. I was lucky that a friend had one hanging on the wall in his garage, it's on my '72 Dart now.

If it were that ‘easy’ or ‘simple’ or ‘cheap’ or ‘inexpensive’ to make quality reproduction parts, everybody would be in the parts business.

You gotta pay to play.
Right. They'd already be on the shelf everywhere. I think Vans would be just as happy with a good used one.

I know that its expensive, but they don't need to recoup their initial investment all at once, spread it out over time. How many years has the rear valance panel been out and it's still $400, that's greed
You do make a good point. It would be interesting to know what the tooling cost was and what it costs to stamp and produce every one of those 69 rear decklid panels. 69 was the lowest production year of the 67-69 Barracudas, so it is a rather limited market to start with. I wonder how many of them they have sold. I would certainly agree that once the tooling costs were recovered the company should lower the price to cost of production plus a reasonable profit, but they never do.

You do make a good point. It would be interesting to know what the tooling cost was and what it costs to stamp and produce every one of those 69 rear decklid panels. 69 was the lowest production year of the 67-69 Barracudas, so it is a rather limited market to start with. I wonder how many of them they have sold. I would certainly agree that once the tooling costs were recovered the company should lower the price to cost of production plus a reasonable profit, but they never do.

thats the same argument that has been going on for years.. cheaper and more volume of sales (possible) or less volume or sales at a higher price..

Probably like most, when you find out the tooling is approaching 6 figures you walk away...
He showed me the piece, it was either already in production, or he was ready to pop them out. He was just asking me what price I would pay for them, and if his target price was too high. I believe his target price was $189, at the time I thought that was pretty high for essentially what is really just a gasket, but I could see them selling for that. And that’s what I told him. He was also making small block Hemi K frames from cores I was selling him for $35 apiece. He was getting north of $400 for those. Haven’t seen him in awhile, he doesn’t work at Man I I anymore, and had his own fab company in Plymouth, Mi., in the industrial complex near Vanguard Auto Sales.

It doesn't cost much to keep a die set that has already been made on the shelf until the next production run is needed. One of these suppliers probably still has a die set sitting with cobwebs on it in a corner. This part looks like it could be strip fed on a continuous mode of operation stamping press as long as the forming was done on the last progression right before the cutoff. How long is it? 2 feet or so? 120 strokes per minute...do the math. 3 strokes and feeds per part=40 parts per minute. 2,400 parts per hour! Even if you were forming it in a slow single stroke press you could probably make 3 a minute. In one day you could make enough to satisfy the market for a while and store the die again. The die would be modular to make this part so the die would be made up of several blocks that are bolted in. These dies are much cheaper to maintain as the cutting edges can be tig welded and ground or the individual blocks remade heat treated and bolted in. It's all a sham. The suppliers that own the dies just need to find a small job shop that does multiple set up orders. These shops are already hungry for work.

Progressive Die Metal Stamping Press Video TADA this is a good example as the part is strip fed, auto lubricated, and there is a set of shaker trays underneath the die set for scrap. Once the coil is loaded the press runs in continuous mode of operation until the coil runs out. If you watch the part progression the forming is done at the at the end progression cut and ejected. Some strip feeders even have multiple coils and tig weld the coils together with a slack loop so the press never stops all day. They are kind of flirting with disaster here as it doesn't look like they are verifying the part is ejected. The red control boxes on the press are Honeywell Wintriss die pros. They can be easily programmed based upon the degree angle of the press coupled to a ferrous metal proximity to prove the finished part has ejected from the die before the next stroke. If the Honeywell does not see the input become set it will immediately stop the ram to prevent die damage.

Last edited:
round about 1998 or so i bought a complete 69 barracuda for the passenger side grille. the rest of the car was roached out with a wheezy 318 2bbl and 904 that was more loose and sloppy than the all you can drink mimosa brunch at Cougar Cafe.

i bought an entire car for one grille. and it wasn't even mint. and i was happy to do so.

the fact that i can open a catalog and order that same grille today delights me to no end. remember when the mopar catalogs got lumped together with the amc and jeep stuff, or even worse that pontiac crap? when we didn't have alum head options at any price point?

the past isn't all that far behind us and people seem to forget how hard we had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back