340 flywheel mounting

-

jawbone

Cuda_queer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Flywheel and 340 are years 1970. Was in the process of checking bellhousing runout so flywheel was torqued on crank flange. Deformation of flywheel surface under mounting bolts was noticed after flywheel removal. I know flywheel is cast but have never seen this type of damage on flywheel before. The metal looked crushed and fragmented. These are the best words I have to describe it. No pics available. Have already reamed out the damaged areas. All but one of the six holes in flywheel were affected. Have decided to replace flywheel since repair not possible. Has anyone experienced this issue? Does anyone have issues with a McLoed steel replacement.

At some point in its 50 years it may have become loose. Kinda sounds like “fretting “ get a good look at both mounting flats for any sign of movement.Dial indicate crank flange.

At some point in its 50 years it may have become loose. Kinda sounds like “fretting “ get a good look at both mounting flats for any sign of movement.Dial indicate crank flange.
Could have possibly been the case. Like I said, never seen one do this before.

Steel flywheel all the way and your legs will really appreciate it!
It's just that new flywheel was not in the budget. Am coming down to the wire. All the big money has been spent so I thought. Exception is radiator from Glen-Ray.

-
Back