340 Flywheel

-

Reaction score
I have a 69 340 Id like to put in front of my 86 Dodge W-100 Truck that has the manual N.P 435 trans. I dont have a flywheel yet and dont know what I should be specifically looking for or what I can get/ modify to work.

Id prefer an 11 inch cause I have a brand new clutch sitting on the shelf.

Any chance one of my 11 inch slant six flywheels could be made to work?

What do I need to get/do to make this possible? Thanks

It may work better to post this over in the 4 speed transmission forum.
Thanks for the tip, its looking like I might already have an answer in that I can use my 11 inch slant six flywheel with no problem. Now to find out what bellhousing I need to find

Do you have a hydro or mechanical clutch linkage?
NP 435 small block bells are common, I actually have an extra out of a a 78 W150.

Does that engine still have the 340 cam in it? Is it staying?
That tranny has a granny gear in it,unsynchronized,IIRC; but I guess you know that. And a granny reverse, And terrible splits for a V8. Suitable only for a hi-torque/low rpm engine.
That engine and those gears are not gonna be friends.
Here are the ratios;
New Process NP435 Transmission Specs & Ratios
The split percents on the most likely to succeed tranny are 47-52-84.
Wrong tranny for an HO340. The 340 cam is totally Wrong for a truck.
What's your thinking.

Last edited:
Do you have a hydro or mechanical clutch linkage?
NP 435 small block bells are common, I actually have an extra out of a a 78 W150.
I have a mechanical clutch, Id like to find the bellhousing, dust cover fork and all if possible. Less scrounging and hoping I find what I need. Let me know if you can help, a couple of people have said they could but I havent confirmed a price from anyone

Does that engine still have the 340 cam in it? Is it staying?
That tranny has a granny gear in it,unsynchronized,IIRC; but I guess you know that.
Those two are not gonna be friends.
I dont know what cam is in it, I just brought the truck home. It has sat for at least a few years, it has a pump mounted to the fenderwell to assist with brakes so Im guessing it has a radical camshaft in it.

had my 340 {292/508,strip dominator,10.5,etc;} in a 74 short box power wagon 4 spd. trans.. had a blast with it. sucked rock climbing, but way too much fun in the river bottoms!!!

Just to finish off this thread no a mid eighties slant six flywheel will not bolt directly onto a 340 crank. There is one hole that is just a bit out of line, Im gonna prob. take someone advice over on slant.org and just drill the necessary hole. I plan to have things balanced anway.

Is your 340 neutral balanced, or external?
I have a couple of neutral balanced small block flywheels, they are factory instead of messing with the slant stuff.

I have a couple of neutral balanced small block flywheels, they are factory instead of messing with the slant stuff.
As far as I know this 340 is neutral balanced. Maybe your right, I should just use an 11 inch neutral balance flywheel and never think about it again. If I have an issue later one down the road then I might have a can of worms to deal with.

Do you still have any? Im trying to get a 4speed swap going aswell

-
Back