340 hop up ideas

-

GT_My_way

Reaction score
As I prepare to take my 340 to the shop for an overhaul just a copule quick questions to see what you guys think. The block is a 71 so the stock compression should not be a problem. I plan on making it a roller motor. and would like to get around 390-400 CI from it. the heads are the x heads. I tossed around the idea of indy heads or edelbrock heads. do ya think i would see that much improvement seeing how the x head is a 2.02 intake.

Are you looking for 400 horse power or 400 cubic inches ?

you cab get 400 horse from a 340 without to much trouble. It can be done with the X heads but would be easier with the Eddys. You wont need to spend money on a roller cam either.

U should stroke that 340. Mopar sells Cast and Forged stroker cranks that will get you to 416 cubic inches. You will need to get stroker pistons too and make slight notches in the block to clear the cranks extra stroke, but its really small. But since your starting with a bare block, it makes no sense not to stroke it. In my opinion, unless your on a really tight budget, thats what you should do.

Mopar performance cast cranks sell for about $350 and the rest of the hardware is reasonable too. 340+4" stroker Crank=416cubes and depending on how you build it, you can get over 500hp and 500 ft/lb of torque.

Here's a link to some dyno tests. Very sweet setup.

http://www.hughesengines.com/dyno_results/sb_stroker3.asp

I just picked up another 340 ($150--couldn't pass that up!) and that's what I'm doing with it. [/u]

Cam should be somewhere around 246 at 50 and 550 lift. Do a little porting on either the X head or the eddy's. I had eddy's and out of the box they aren't that great. I basically stripped mine and started over so don't waste any money there. Go with a air gap dual plane manifold and a good 650 holley DP. 10.1 comp should do the trick. Nothing wrong with going roller, it costs a little more but worth it. I have used my rollers in 3 different set up's. Grab some crane roller rocker's 1.6's and use the stock shafts. Get rid of that mopar performance orange box and mopar dist if you have one. Go with MSD mech advance dist and crane HI-6. Find a 1" HVH super sucker and a drop base air cleaner and it will fit under the hood. This motor with right gear and stall will run high 11's low 12's in a #3400 set up. Ask me how I know.

BARRACUDA340S Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:19 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cam should be somewhere around 246 at 50 and 550 lift.

:shock: :shock: :shock: That's a BIG cam. You should be able to get 400hp with way less than that... or am I seriously out of touch. :scratch: I have been looking at the Comp XE274 which is 230/[email protected] and .488/.491 lift or the Straightline 226/[email protected] and .503/.500 lift. I think either of these would put you in the 400-450hp range with a good set of heads, intake, headers, and exhaust. Maybe I need to rethink my own combo if that's not the case. :?

I think the XE274 will make in the 400 horse area but not the straightline. Not enough duration.

Well it sounds like dump the X heads and go with aluminum which makes sense cools faster and lighter weight. my local machine shop has done a 340/416 and thats the route i may go. I have a 727 with a mopar perf. 2600 stall converter. 8 3/4 Sure Grip with 3.55. i would like to be down in mid-low12s. I have Heartland Park about a mile from my house so i can get the right combiation over a weekend. thanks for all your help. Glad I joined

Im new to this whole game (only 16) and have a basicly stock 1970 Duster 340 with an edelbrock 600cfm carb and new flowmasters. What other modifications would i need to use the stroker crank other than new pistons. I have a general idea about new seals and what-not, but since im eventualy going to be doing this, i need some more info about cost and parts.

-
Back