340 lifter bores bushed or not ?? Solid Roller cam

-
Two questions...

Can you tube the lifter gallery and run a soilid roller and get enough splash lube?

Crane is now owned by Comp, correct?

Tubing the oil galley is the standard practice for solid roller cams. I haven’t heard anyone complain about oiling issues unless it’s a monster race grind at idle a lot or spinning the engine stupid high which is a different oiling issue all together.

Crane was purchased by S&S engines.

Member @dusted (IIRC the screen name correctly) works for Crane.

Last edited:
Two questions...

Can you tube the lifter gallery and run a soilid roller and get enough splash lube?

Crane is now owned by Comp, correct?

And Edelbrock now owns Comp (and all the brands they owned), ahhh the circle of life...
One day everything will say "a subsidiary of Holleybrock Peformance"!

oil for the edm lifters
or pressure oiled rollers
Jones says Mopars do not have enough splash

oil for the edm lifters
X’s two on this.
Not enough splash at idle/low put put around the block rpm. A solid roller for the street will live. A race roller is on borrowed time as it is not designed to do grandma’s type of driving.

oil for the edm lifters

Not sure how Jones figures that. Many, many guys running what would be considered drag race roller profiles on the street without issues.

You can’t let them idle at 750 and expect any of them to live.

Crane Cams is owned by S & S Corp, the folks who build custom Harley carburetors.

Picked up my fresh W-2's today.

Asked about bushing the lifter bores... $530.00 plus bushings which are $14.00 each.

Not sure I need to spend that right now. Going to lose 12 weeks work with my second knee replacement in late October.

Also was thinking about installing four bolt main caps...

And engines!

When did Edelbrock buy Comp?
Yes! S&S engines. The guys that make Harley Davidson style after market engines and parts. Really nice stuff.

*I think* maybe, Comp Cams purchased Edelbrock about 6 or so years ago??? Probably longer, not sure... I forget. They also advertise at the bottom of there home page, FAST, ZEX, Powerhouse and Inglese, RHS & TCI.

Found out Comp and Edelbrock merged this year then were purchased by a large private equity firm IOP....

Must not have gotten the memo!

The golden era of companies being owned by the men that started them is fading. Hilborn, Crower, Edelbrock, Iskenderian, etc.....it's easy to forget those are names of people, not just companies.

As for bushing the block....I guess it's OK but I think it gets tossed around far too easily. People talk about it like it's buying a can of Coke....the same no matter where you go. And they talk about like it's the answer to everything.

If you've ever actually seen a block being bushed, you'd quickly recognize it's a procedure chock full of opportunities to make mistakes. It's also not a 500,000 mile deal....bronze bushings wear out, and probably faster than cast iron, too. I'm all for bushing the lifter bores when it makes sense...but I don't think it's 'all good'.

The golden era of companies being owned by the men that started them is fading. Hilborn, Crower, Edelbrock, Iskenderian, etc.....it's easy to forget those are names of people, not just companies.
And greats they were!

If you've ever actually seen a block being bushed, you'd quickly recognize it's a procedure chock full of opportunities to make mistakes. It's also not a 500,000 mile deal....bronze bushings wear out, and probably faster than cast iron, too. I'm all for bushing the lifter bores when it makes sense...but I don't think it's 'all good'.
There are a few guys here running solid roller cams in Magnum blocks as it is.

jones was talking about ft and why edm was needed fo Krooser's circle track build
but I've seen similar posts on speedtalk

I like the EDM oil holes. A great idea.

The lifter bore bushing with a CNC machine like a Rottler, Centroid or other equivelant machine is a previset operation.

When I asked the shop foreman if he had a BHJ fixture for a Mopar he said they don't need one anymore...the program is in the computer. Bolt the block to the machine bed and push a button.

That's the whole problem....few people say "Get the lifters bushed by a shop with a Rottler, Centroid, or equivalent machine...." They just say 'get the lifter bores bushed.' Many shops don't have CNC equipment.

It's also a mistake to assume that if a machine is CNC, it somehow is magically accurate. For one thing, the program must be right or the machining won't be right. You also have to properly load the machine and establish the proper reference point. Get those off .020" and all your holes will off .020". Use a worn or chipped cutter and it affects things. Finally, CNC machines have error just like any machine. I have both a CNC and manual mill and when it really matters....I use the manual.

I have a friend who worked for Dodge in the 1990's/2000's...he was a lead machinists and one of his jobs was visiting all the engine plants to make sure they were running machining ops properly on the SB Mopar engines including the race blocks. The degree of care they took in lifter bores was most likely beyond the capabilities of just about any normal shop. Here's one cut from an email he sent me

"We had Unbelievable carbide lined bushings to locate the lifter holes..A +- .0002 and held less on the seat 6 blade cutter head that was ground and the mastered to all be .0002 to gauge. with .0001-.0002 taper to hit high on the seat with what ever the miss, half degree or what ever but had to be right on the spot. Way over kill."

The point being....if the factory bores are 'off' it's most likely a result of the production speed, not tooling....and in any event, I think the factory bores are pretty good. And there are shops who also do a very good job of bushing them. It's just not a given that the factory bores are junk and any bushing job is awesome.

-
Back