340 main cap bolts

-

74dusterman

74dusterman
Reaction score
I know there are threads discussing the main bolts already but I can't find the one that said where to buy new main bolts that work with a windage tray. I purchased ARP main studs only to find out after the fact that I should line hone the mains with studs. I already have the cam bearings, oil plugs, and freeze plugs installed so I don't want to line hone. I am going to order the factory replacement bolts but I'm having a hard time finding them. Does anyone have a part number for them? Thanks guys for the help.

I just looked a MP catalog and they do not show any main cap bolts for a small block. Don't think you will be able to find a brand new set with the 4 main bolt caps for the windage tray. Milidon has main studs that work with a windage tray but the studs require line honing.

You can search Ebay or the for sale section here and at moparts.com to see what you can find.

I also looked at Mancini Racing and they only show ARP or Milidon.

Thanks krazykuda. It has been a while since I ordered from Mancini and I couldn't find them. Thanks again.

You may not have to have it line honed using main studs. I put some in a 360 years ago, had my machinist check it and nothing had changed. So no line bore for me.

I was not so lucky. I torqued all of the main caps down with the old bolts and one by one started replacing them with the studs torquing them as I replaced them. I started with the number 2 cap and after I torqued the second stud I could barely turn the crank. I ordered bolts from Mancini. If anyone is interested in the studs let me know. I only torqued 2 of them.

I was not so lucky. I torqued all of the main caps down with the old bolts and one by one started replacing them with the studs torquing them as I replaced them. I started with the number 2 cap and after I torqued the second stud I could barely turn the crank. I ordered bolts from Mancini. If anyone is interested in the studs let me know. I only torqued 2 of them.

This is generally the case. I have yet to see one that didn't require align honing when installing studs

I ordered the bolt kit that krazykuda recommended. I guess I didn't realize that it is only the 4 main bolts that are tapped for the windage tray. It does not come with the other 6 main bolts. Not too happy about it. What good is a kit with only 4 of the 10 bolts? I am still looking for the rest of the bolts. Why is it so damn hard to get a kit that has all of the bolts and works with a windage tray? :banghead:

I ordered the bolt kit that krazykuda recommended. I guess I didn't realize that it is only the 4 main bolts that are tapped for the windage tray. It does not come with the other 6 main bolts. Not too happy about it. What good is a kit with only 4 of the 10 bolts? I am still looking for the rest of the bolts. Why is it so damn hard to get a kit that has all of the bolts and works with a windage tray? :banghead:

WTF? the picture with the link shows 9 regular bolts, one windage tray to main bearing bolt, and only one small windage tray bolt...

It lead me to think that they were all of the bolts together and they just didn't show all of the windage tray bolts.... That picture is inaccurate and misleading.... They should change it to match what really comes in the "kit"....

I'm sorry that it wasn't a complete kit, especially at that price....

Also watch when you get the standard length main bearing bolts, there are two different lengths for small blocks...

I am going to call them and see what I can do. I looked at the picture and assumed the same thing. That it over $15 per bolt for the kit I received. Highway robbery if you ask me. Mancini has vague descriptions of their parts. I should have known better from past experiences with them.

I am going to call them and see what I can do. I looked at the picture and assumed the same thing. That it over $15 per bolt for the kit I received. Highway robbery if you ask me. Mancini has vague descriptions of their parts. I should have known better from past experiences with them.

I didn't want to recommend them again as I think that you got taken advantage of, but here's the other bolts for the "regular" main bearings.. You get a better deal ordering the windage tray and bolts together...

I also learned a while back that there are two different length bolts for the small block. I believe that the 360 caps are a little taller (longer stroke and larger main bearing diameter), but I would check to be sure that you are getting the proper length and they are not too short or too long and bottom out before reaching clamp load...

http://www.manciniracing.com/mainbearcapb.html

Or, if they won't cooperate, try that part number at Summit.... :finga:

I called them this morning and there is not a bolt kit that works with the windage tray. I have to order the windage tray hardware kit plus a main cap bolt kit for another $45. Sure wish they would include the Vaseline in the price because I am sick of getting f#$%ed. I love Mopar but some times they really piss me off with the stupid **** they do. I bet there are 10 different kits for a Chevy and all under $30.

This is a trick I use to avoid align honing blocks when installing studs. I use a drill press and drill all the main caps out to the next larger size. Make sure to deburr the cap mating surface and give that a try. It normally works because the stud diameter is larger than the bolt diameters and allows for more wiggle room if you will.

-
Back