340 main cap fit?

-

couper 340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have two 340 blocks one had one main cap only so i got some from a a-body member . the cap on the engine was 2 1/4 '' from top to bottom ,THE SAME AS THE OTHER BLOCK . the caps that i got were only 1 7/8'' from top to bottom . The trouble is the bolts bottom out before there get tight . So if i have the block line bored with these caps they won't fit for sure . does anyone know why they are different size other than they were cut at some point? thanks Couper

MIKE THANK YOU FOR THAT INFO . I was told that all 318 and 340 caps were the same by more than one person . I was given bad info when looking for caps now with the good info i will look for a set of 340 caps . THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP.

you got scammed by people who know no better.... no need to thank me, my name aint mike... :sign3:

Does anyone have a set of 340 main block caps for sale ?

I can look - but not until the weekend. I think I may have a set or two but they'll be buried.

You can still use the 318 caps even though they are cast a little smaller than the 340 caps. Just keep in mind that they aren't as strong. Get some 271/318 main cap bolts and you're set. You need to get the block line honed though.

Ken

Or you can order up a set of much stronger aftermarket set. Some have a flat surface so you can mount a stud girdle on it no problems.

I believe Milodon and Mopar Performance also make caps for 340 blocks. Mancini Racing or Summit Racing probably can get what you need.

Pro-gram also makes caps.
I do remember a member on here making much stronger caps that have a flat top/bottoms so a girdle could be mounted if wanting to. I just can't remember his name.

-
Back