340 motor mounts

-

squadbay

Reaction score
Question: Does anybody sell the motor mounts with rubber inserts for my 73 340 Dart sport? I have the originals but they are in tough shape.Thanks

You can buy new inserts, but the quality is not very good. Neither is the fit. I have found that the material used in today's motor mounts is worse than terrible. We replaced the engine side mount in my son's 87 Daytona. Within six months it had collasped bad enough for the k-member to be able to tear a hold in a CV boot.

The replacement spool mounts are usually a loose fit in the original brackets and require a couple of tack welds to hole them in place. They are made in places like India and Korea. I have not found any in years made here like I have suspension bushings, which appear to be made with much better rubber.

Jim, Are you referring to poor quality inserts that Rumblefish mentions from Motor mounts.com or some other brand? I do not want to spend 150.00 if they are junk? Thanks..

the ones that Rumblefish is refering to are poly mounts and they are top notch...very good quality. I think Jim is refering to the crappy "stock" replaments mounts that you can get from some place like Autozone......I have Napa mounts on my Duster and they are pretty good......but if I pull the motor again the Schumacher poly mounts are going in.

Plus the Schumacher mounts are not just inserts they are the poly inserts and the "cages" or brackets too.

I am talking about part store parts and they are ALL bad from what I have seen, NAPA included. I haven't checked Car Quest to see where their mounts are made, but this is truly a case where parts made in other parts of the world are a major problem.

Jim that doesn't suprise me.....CarQuest gets most of their parts from the same places NAPA does......which usually is better quality but not all the time. I bought mine from NAPA about 5 years ago but I'm sure things have changed. Basically if you want good quality mounts you are going to have to bite the bullet and buy the Schumacher mounts until a company like Energy suspension makes the spool style mounts.

i m late on this topi, i cant remeber the brand but i have used to many stockreplacement motormounts to ever buy one again(probably just me buying the wrong brand they where made in china i think), last time i changed i bought some energysuspension inserts and pressed them into a old set of mounts and they have lasted a whole summer :) it wasnt fun trying to get all of the old rubber out of the old mount but it was worth it! the energysuspension mounts are lots stiffer and if you have a hot 340 you will feel it in the whole car when idling but thats just a bonus ;)

Gee! I purchased spool mounts (complete brackets with inserts) for my 360 from Advance Auto and they are holding up just fine (almost 10k miles in the past 1.5 years). I had considered the poly inserts with the brackets that were on the engine but my experiences with poly bushings in general have not been all that positive so I stayed with rubber.

-
Back