340 No low end power

-
Exactly.

If you bought it with the stuff that's on it, some refinements will help a lot.

there u go bud, alot of help here, sounds like u have a solid car, just needs some love.........one step at a time, guys here ALWAYS help, really some good people that know there s__t here at fabo.....
higgs

my guess is the carb and intake. sounds like a sorry carb. Secondary seems to work, primary might have bad pump, missing parts/springs/ etc. also could be some vac lines/leaks around the intake (check with carb spray) then look at timming and dist. could have the timing chain off and can not move the dist enought to get it out and or the vac advance on the dist screwed up. don't really know but these are the1st things Id check out. $0.02 worth

We after going through all the input and advise that everyone posted, looks like a carb issue, at least to start with, only pumping on one side of the primary. Looks like 321 gear ratio, timing at 15 btdc inital and 35 total, no vacuum leaks and compression is good. Will try figure the torque converter and cam and look into intake after the carb is resolved. Any carb advise?? rebuild or replace??
Many thanks to all!!

Been watching this thread, and alot of good advise. My take is your cam and intake are for mid/high rpm's and the carb, converter and rear gear are more driver/cruiser oriented. I'm thinking you need to decide the easiest remedy for what your trying to use the car for. My thought is to get a Holley 670 Avenger or a 750 vacuum secd. carb along with a converter matched to your combo. As long as your rear tire diameter is 26" or less, i think the 3.21 could still be doable with the right converter.

P.S. I wish i had your problem.....you got a screamin deal on that car :D.

I'd run a holley anywhere from 650-750cfm on it.

You might try turning up the initial to see if you can get the idle to settle down a little. It will take changing the mechanical advance to hit your total number. Some purple cams will want in excess of 20* initial. Just don't go driving it around if it pings.

Well thought I would follow up... Its been cold and snowy so if figured it was a good time to go for it. Rebuilt the the carb, installed a performer RPM with a 1 inch spacer and set the timing to 18 intial and 38 all in. WOW! what a difference...roast them at will. Thanks again for everyones advice. Added some dual cooling fans, white face gauges with l.e.d. lights and threw on a trans cooler...cant wait until spring time!

Nice to see you sorted it out.Lots of good people here,to help.

Thanks for the update, good to hear she working good now.

Well thought I would follow up... Its been cold and snowy so if figured it was a good time to go for it. Rebuilt the the carb, installed a performer RPM with a 1 inch spacer and set the timing to 18 intial and 38 all in. WOW! what a difference...roast them at will. Thanks again for everyones advice. Added some dual cooling fans, white face gauges with l.e.d. lights and threw on a trans cooler...cant wait until spring time!

Glad to here it!

After you get a pos in the rear end you might want to add a couple more intial degree. :burnout:

This conversation is like watching a merry-go-round. There needs to be a sticky; on timing. Initial, with a vacuum gauge, then pull excess total out.

This conversation is like watching a merry-go-round. There needs to be a sticky; on timing. Initial, with a vacuum gauge, then pull excess total out.

I think I need to write my boilerplate response in "cut & paste" form... I tire of typing it. LOL

Great that the OP got good results with those changes.

-
Back