340 or 360

-
360. More cubes means more torque.

Of course, I've got a 360 so I'm a little biased. ;-)

This is just my opinion of course... but I'm building a 360 instead of a 340 because the extra 20 cubes and the longer stroke should provide more torque across the rpm range. Also, the 340 blocks are more expensive and harder to come by.

Ive got a 340 right now. that said Id I build another motor it will be bigger. I'll at least do a 360. like said above 20 extra and a longer stroke will make a better street motor.

it's hard to say, but if your on a budget the 360 is the better choice, its cheaper and you cant beat the fact that it has more cubes than a 340. But if im not mistaken, you can make the 340 bigger than the 360 with a stroker crank. The 360 only goes to something like 408 @.030 when its stroked, where a 340 will be at 416. It has larger bores

The 340 is a beast when you stroke it.. :!:

Here's the scoop. The 360's bore is slightly smaller than the 340's so the stroker crank gives you 408 cubes in a 360 block (standard bore) and the same crank in the 340 block gives you 416 cubes.

Bottom line, if you got the 340, build it. If not use a 360 and laugh all the way to the bank cause you saved some dough.

Heres a few dyno tests of these combos.

http://www.hughesengines.com/dyno_results/sb_stroker1.asp

i have ran both motors the 340 run circles around the 360 every thing being the same (cam , heads, intake, carb) but 340 motors are not cheap, 360's are everywere

So let me get this straight, these are the sizes of these 2 engines bore x stroke:
340's Bore x Stroke is 4.04 x 3.31 - 416 c.i. is 4.04 x 4.00
360's Bore x Stroke is 4.00 x 3.58 - 408 c.i. is 4.00 x 4.00
thats with Mopars 4.00 Stroker crank, the 360 is smaller but wouldnt a .040 over bore put them at the same displacement?

the 360 is smaller but wouldnt a .040 over bore put them at the same displacement?

Yes it would, but all things being equal, the cylinder wall thickness would be less.

:thumleft:

I'd say 360 because you have bigger mains also..and with the 360 you do loose some but its a heck of a lot cheaper than tring to find a 340 plus if you throw a rod you'd be able to find a replacement 360 easier than a 340..

umm..is 8 cubes going to make THAT big a difference?
And, is .040 that big a deal? Hell, my 360 is already .030 over.

Is it possible to go to a bigger crank with a little block notching anyway and get past the 4.0" stroke?

I think it's a mute point...360s are every bit as good as 340s. They just don't have the fame because Dodge never built them as Muscle motors. If they did, I'm confident IT would be the famed smallblock and the 340 would have the status of 318.

I think it's just a matter if the owners wants to be able to say that he has a 340.

Well I dont know if I would go that far, the 340 Block itself is better. The 360 was in pickup trucks as early as 71 i think, and it didnt make it in cars till 3 years later. Your right about the fact that it was never a engine in the muscle car era, so it doesnt get respect, but it is a lot better than a 318...just not sure if the same can be said about the 340. If anything, it is its equal, but no more

plus if you throw a rod you'd be able to find a replacement 360 easier than a 340..

Exactly...The name of this game is dollars per hoss-power. 360 is the leader in that category.

I think it's a mute point...360s are every bit as good as 340s. They just don't have the fame because Dodge never built them as Muscle motors. If they did, I'm confident IT would be the famed smallblock and the 340 would have the status of 318.

:?:
I think I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. The 360 can be every bit as good, but not all engines are made the same way or with the same purpose in mind. The 340's were made as a performance motor and they usually have tighter machining tolerances than the run of the mill truck or passenger car blocks.

I think it's just a matter if the owners wants to be able to say that he has a 340.

Now your getting somewhere but consider this....How many people do you know that can tell them apart? Especially if you hand around any ferd or chebby fans. Those little numbers on the front left side of the block near the head are awfull hard to read if you paint the block. Throw a pie tin on the top that says 340 4 Barrel and you got a 340!! I'd be just as proud of a 360 that I built though. Run What You Brung......Nuff Said. :headbang: [/b]

snowymountainman said:
Now your getting somewhere but consider this....How many people do you know that can tell them apart? Especially if you hand around any ferd or chebby fans. Those little numbers on the front left side of the block near the head are awfull hard to read if you paint the block. Throw a pie tin on the top that says 340 4 Barrel and you got a 340!! I'd be just as proud of a 360 that I built though. Run What You Brung......Nuff Said. :headbang: [/b]

LOL... I told one doofus at the track one day (while he was looking at my 360) that it was a 572 hemi. I told him it was running 12s now, but with some tuning it'd soon be in the 9s.

He was impressed. And dumb. ;-)

It's all about what you're doing with it. The 340 is more money to aquire a block, that's about it. I would prefer a 340 if the car was a stick and a street car, but a 360 will pill harder down low because of the 1/4" more stroke. Put a 4" crank in either one, and you have even more grunt, and horsepower if you get decent heads..The 360s are easy to get (running, under $200 around here), and with no changes but cam, headers, and intake/carb, will outrun a 340 on the street from light to light. If you know what you're doing, any small block (except maybe273) can be made to run very strong, and still drive every day. (273 have valve shrouding issues with larger valve/port heads) So what are your plans, and vehicle?

A friend of mine says " you cannot exceed the speed of your wallet" Take a look at your wallet and then ask yourself what your speed is. There are guys running 8s with the small block Mopar. How fast are you gonna go? Does it matter which engine you choose? Find one and go baby!

BTW, that same friend runs 11.60 with those 273 heads!

First I want to thank you all. Great replies.
I have two 360's and one 318 all 74 or newer. I saw an ad for a 340 block for 200.00 and a friend said he might have heads still for a 340 in his garage, thats why the debate. My car is a 74 dodge dart sport 318.
And I'm putting togather the 360 as I learn. I'm gonna get a Christmas card from summit this year for sure :wink: . The 360 that runs is in a 79 crysler cordoba it pulls real strong for a big car. Rated between 150 and 170 hp ??? I dont believe it for a minute.

Also is a 9 1/4 rear any good??? I put 355 gears and a new carrier housing in the rear of the cordoba but will it hold up to real power??

Once again thank you all.

thorstenn

Well, maybe when they were built back in the day. But today, pretty much ANY block you get will require some kind of machine work (unless you happen across a NEW 340 block rthat was never assembled). As a result, this short coming can be overcome.

Trust me, I'm not dissin' the 340, my Dad and I had a Swinger 340. Ordered specificly for street racing - 727, 8.75" 3.91 Suregrip, bucket seat, but comlun shift because the guy felt the car would be lighter without a console. I don't really know it that's the case though.

Now your getting somewhere but consider this....How many people do you know that can tell them apart? Especially if you hand around any ferd or chebby fans. Those little numbers on the front left side of the block near the head are awfull hard to read if you paint the block. Throw a pie tin on the top that says 340 4 Barrel and you got a 340!! I'd be just as proud of a 360 that I built though. Run What You Brung......Nuff Said. :headbang: [/b][/quote]
Thats the way i look at it they'd never know the diff between the two!

I would take a 360 over 340 anyday of the week pretty much for all the same reason as everyone else.

68dartgts said:
i have ran both motors the 340 run circles around the 360 every thing being the same (cam , heads, intake, carb)

On one hand I find that hard to believe, but on the other I could see depending on the parts used that 340 might respond better in certain situations.

thorstenn said:
I have two 360's and one 318 all 74 or newer. I saw an ad for a 340 block for 200.00 and a friend said he might have heads still for a 340 in his garage, thats why the debate.

340 and 360's heads are pretty much the same.

-
Back