340 or 360?

340 or 360?

• Total voters
-
No place in the OP's first post did he say anything about stock engines. Simply put, he said 340 or 360 and why.... It's everyone else that went down the "performance" trail. So I say "let's run 'em" ???
Right- I'm just noting how the thread has morphed. Not dissing the idea at all. OP hasn't chimed in since he posted, so it's all up for grabs!

Right- I'm just noting how the thread has morphed. Not dissing the idea at all. OP hasn't chimed in since he posted, so it's all up for grabs!
Well, these turn into "the pot being stirred" type of threads. I personally like all the LA and Magnum small blocks.

A '72 340 and 360. I need to have the 340 rebuilt and replace the 5 year-old MRL 360. My plan is to have my son rebuild it when he transfers to SIU's Automotive program.

I can put a set of Icon or DSS racing .080 over pistons in that camper van engine at zero deck with some good heads and it will run at least as good as a 391 mopar stroker with the same parts. All without the Stroker crank. That same 360 camper van engine is a 340 in disguise with a stronger block waiting for someone to bring it out. If it has the premium CD or BH casting truck crank, the crankshaft is as good as a forging. And I actually love a 340. Some of the quickest cars I have been in have been 340 powered. But for the $$$ and what’s available to me, it will be an early 360 for the win.
What's the purpose of boring it 0.080"? Wouldn't that cause over heating issues? I believe in only boring a engine enough to clean up the bores. There's article's on people running 1.925" intake valve's and port work that give just as good or better flow numbers than people who use 2.020" intake valve's. Attention to bowl area is important.

the post was which was better...not which was fastest? You guys continue to measure by modified 360's performance. Which is more valuable or desirable?

the post was which was better...not which was fastest? You guys continue to measure by modified 360's performance. Which is more valuable or desirable?
Correction... it does NOT say "better". Re-read 1st post. There are a lot of ways to measure. Resale Value?? Cost to buy ?? Torque ?? Horsepwer ??? Availability ?? Gas mileage ??? Durability ?? Popularity ??? And what's important to you or me may not be important to the next guy.

There’s no need to run that large of a bore, except maybe in the car of a head that could use a 2.08 intake valve (W2 or W5 to W7). I know of several of those early blocks having much thicker cylinders than later blocks. As in enough material to adequately run .060 over 340 (4.10 inch bore) size without issue.

Last edited:
K.O. SWINGER You deleted your post...
but you didn't answer what I asked. I asked what your 340 4-speed ran, and if it was factory stock. "slicks and tricks" by hot rod really means nothing. What tricks ?

K.O. SWINGER You deleted your post...
but you didn't answer what I asked. I asked what your 340 4-speed ran, and if it was factory stock. "slicks and tricks" by hot rod really means nothing. What tricks ?
No actually it means a lot the only thing they did was put on slicks and work with tune-ups and headers the motors weren't cracked open or modified in any way. But you need to research this on your own if you really want the facts. it's not a matter of opinion it's a matter of history I don't understand why people can't get that through their head. bottom line is the 360's a truck motor that you can modify and make into a very nice Mill, and if you can get around with your low RPM Magnum hydraulic roller well knock yourself out. But don't be surprised when a little flat tap at 340 rips you a new one.

No actually it means a lot the only thing they did was put on slicks and work with tune-ups and headers the motors weren't cracked open or modified in any way. But you need to research this on your own if you really want the facts. it's not a matter of opinion it's a matter of history I don't understand why people can't get that through their head. bottom line is the 360's a truck motor that you can modify and make into a very nice Mill, and if you can get around with your low RPM Magnum hydraulic roller well knock yourself out. But don't be surprised when a little flat tap at 340 rips you a new one.
Your facts are mixed up. Lets start with your quote.
  • 360's only came in trucks ???? (you claim it's a truck motor)
  • I don't need to "learn history". I've built 340's and 360's in "next to stock trim" and raced them at the track. In fact, I did a 340/360 comparison in the exact same car. I used the same heads, cam, intake, and carb from the 340 and swapped them to the 360 short block. I know what the results were. It is you, my friend, that needs an "opening of the mind".
  • Are you even aware that the 360 Little Red Express truck put down a better 1/4 mile time than the '73 340 Duster from the factory??? Yes, that LRE was heavy and had the dynamics of a brick wall and still it laid a better ET.

360 is a truck motor ? must be the cousin of the 383 taxi motor. :D :BangHead:

360 is a truck motor ? must be the cousin of the 383 taxi motor. :D :BangHead:
Please tell him that 360's came in C-bodies, B-bodies, E-bodies, and ... (is he ready??) ----- A-bodies !!!!! Ok, E and F bodies too !!!! LOL

• when it comes to the LA's, there is nobody more closed-minded than 340 guys, and nobody more open-minded than 318 guys. I've talked with enough to know, trust me!

Okay guy, I will give you an apples to apples comparison. Back in the 80's I had a 69 GTS Dart, I had a 0.030 over 340 in it with W2 heads, 10.6 compression, Crane cam(242/252 .532/.552 108 install at 106), 1 7/8 headers, 727 trans, 5000 converter,and 4.86 gears. My best time was 11.60, soon after it spun 5/6 rod bearings( funny the old saying engines always run there best just before they blow, that true for engines that don't run that well too). Put a 360 short block together with 0.060 over TRW 327 chevy pistons to get 10.5 compression out of it, the rest of the combo was same as above. That 0.060 over 360 ran 11.0, but the real story was the 1/8 mile times the .030 over 340(4.07 bore) ran 7.60's and the .060 over 360(4.06 bore) ran 6.80's, the reason the 360 did not run 10's is because it ran out of steam at 118 mph or 6700 rpm at the 1000 foot mark. The 340 ran 114 mph, the only difference in the car was the short blocks. I ran in Pro at the time and the quickest I could run was 11.0 so I never changed the combo.
For got to mention that was a hydraulic flat tappet Crane cam.

Your facts are mixed up. Lets start with your quote.
  • 360's only came in trucks ???? (you claim it's a truck motor)
  • I don't need to "learn history". I've built 340's and 360's in "next to stock trim" and raced them at the track. In fact, I did a 340/360 comparison in the exact same car. I used the same heads, cam, intake, and carb from the 340 and swapped them to the 360 short block. I know what the results were. It is you, my friend, that needs an "opening of the mind".
  • Are you even aware that the 360 Little Red Express truck put down a better 1/4 mile time than the '73 340 Duster from the factory??? Yes, that LRE was heavy and had the dynamics of a brick wall and still it laid a better ET.
Whatever this is pointless go ahead and rock on

you guys are right..i stand corrected.The post was 340 or 360 why (not better).
so the whole post is just personal preference and pointless?

The 1974 360 Challengers and Cudas and the 74 through 76 360 Dart Sports and Dusters ran better than the 1973 340 cars of the same weight.
Yes 318willrun my 360 came out of a 75 C body and is now 416 inches and is in my Dart and does have enough meat to go to a 4.100 + bore, same as a 340.

The 1974 360 Challengers and Cudas and the 74 through 76 360 Dart Sports and Dusters ran better than the 1973 340 cars of the same weight.
Yes 318willrun my 360 came out of a 75 C body and is now 416 inches and is in my Dart and does have enough meat to go to a 4.100 + bore, same as a 340.
People that are open-minded enough to try, it's amazing what they will discover. You are correct! From the factory, in equal weight cars....

-
Back