340 or 360?

340 or 360?

• Total voters
-
:rofl:well you guys kill me keep drinking the Kool-Aid LOL yeah I'd love to see that against a 68 four-speed 340 barracuda that would be close not!
Is your 340 4 speed cuda factory stock ? IF so, have you made a pass at the track?

:rofl:well you guys kill me keep drinking the Kool-Aid LOL yeah I'd love to see that against a 68 four-speed 340 barracuda that would be close not!
Nobody said it would be- only bringing up the EH1 and E58 because you said there were no performance versions. "Performance" at the time didn't mean what it once did, but in their own time frame they outperformed most everything that the competition could bring to market.

Well...if you compare an early 340 to a 360 the 340 is probably superior in performance. But you guys want to build a new engine to use as a comparison.

First, I love the 340's, always have and always will. But, here are some fun facts:
  • Lady I knew bought a brand new '72 Demon 340, auto, 3.91 gears. 100% factory stock EXCEPT slicks, it ran 14.2's.
  • A trusted friend of mine had a friend that bought a '70 Duster 340 4-speed brand new (either 3.91's or 3.55's). His mission, with just tuning what the factory set up and slicks, was to run a 13.99. He never made it. Multiple times out to the track but couldn't get past 14.0's, with 14.1's being the consistent run.
  • Most magazines have most 340's from the factory in the lower to mid 14's, and '73 340's in the lower 15's.

I agree, stock 340's would be around 14.5 - 14.7 on the tires available back in day. A well tuned piece with a 4 speed and a good driver could do a little better.

First, I love the 340's, always have and always will. But, here are some fun facts:
  • Lady I knew bought a brand new '72 Demon 340, auto, 3.91 gears. 100% factory stock EXCEPT slicks, it ran 14.2's.
  • A trusted friend of mine had a friend that bought a '70 Duster 340 4-speed brand new (either 3.91's or 3.55's). His mission, with just tuning what the factory set up and slicks, was to run a 13.99. He never made it. Multiple times out to the track but couldn't get past 14.0's, with 14.1's being the consistent run.
  • Most magazines have most 340's from the factory in the lower to mid 14's, and '73 340's in the lower 15's.

sounds about right.
In 1972 i had a 69 340 GTS. 3.55 gear, set of cheezy blackjack headers and cherry bomb muffs, otherwise bone stock on period correct/ size rubber.
Ran 14.23@99 and change, and it was a hair tired.

I agree, stock 340's would be around 14.5 - 14.7 on the tires available back in day. A well tuned piece with a 4 speed and a good driver could do a little better.
I ran a '89 D150 truck with 360 tbi, single exhaust, 3.21 gears at the track. It ran 15.3's. I wonder what it would have done in a much lighter Duster cutting less wind with dual exhaust, a perfect working TQ and 3.55's.

If you aren’t married to sun 3.50 gears and stock converters the 340 will out run a 360 all day long. It’s simple physics. Bigger bore, shorter stroke, more RPM. That’s how you go fast.
I'm agree with this guy, a 383 will outrun a 340 or 360 all day long.:poke:
I'll take the 340 over the 360.

My Duster ran 13.9's with a LA 360, stock 360 heads, dished pistons, stock exhaust manifolds, stock auto and converter, and 2.45 gears. Cam was basically a replacement 360 4bbl cam (.427/204@050 on the intake). It did have a 750 DP on a dual plane intake, though. I wonder how much quicker I could have ran with a stock 340 ? Means they only ran 14's with 3.55's, do you think the 2.45's would have helped the 340 move my Duster past 13.9's ? :realcrazy:

Last edited:
I understand the importance to note forged vs cast cranks, but why is it important to note large vs small journals? Serious question, I'm learning here.

In standard usage, High Performance V-8, in a 3,000 lb street car with 3.23 - 3.91 gears not much difference between large and small journal cranks. I was just stating differences. I had daily drivers with all the above engines. I used to rebuild engines and my favorite ones were the 273 Commando, 71 340 Duster and the 383 Formula S fastback. I sold off all my 360's a long time ago, but still have a couple 340's, a few 273's, a couple 383's, and some others. I just like the way the 340 and the 273 wind up and have that 3,000 rpm pull past 6,000 rpm with a 4 speed. They were not stock, but were "cleaned up", pocket ported cast iron J heads, factory 71 340 intake and TQ, with custom relatively small solid lifter cams, through factory exhaust manifolds. Plenty fast on the street with the tires I limit myself to. Not a drag car, not a world beater, but they were the perfect blend of reliable power and economy for me.

Maybe FABO should do a race. Stock stroke 340's vs Stock stroke 360's. Must have 4 wheels and at least 2 or more doors... other than that, no holds barred. LOL

Maybe FABO should do a race. Stock stroke 340's vs Stock stroke 360's. Must have 4 wheels and at least 2 or more doors... other than that, no holds barred. LOL
Good idea, but I think John wins with his 360 NA Duster. Don't know of anyone faster on this forum.

Good idea, but I think John wins with his 360 NA Duster. Don't know of anyone faster on this forum.
Maybe.... I don't think all 50k members have posted their cars. Also, I don't think the "fastest" car would be the only voice, but what would the top 10 fastest door car's be in a 340 vs 360 shootout. Maybe to make sure the motor is doing the work, make a rule no power adders ??? I think a thing like that could be fun.

Maybe.... I don't think all 50k members have posted their cars. Also, I don't think the "fastest" car would be the only voice, but what would the top 10 fastest door car's be in a 340 vs 360 shootout. Maybe to make sure the motor is doing the work, make a rule no power adders ??? I think a thing like that could be fun.
You'd have to bracket them up so they're comparable- apples to apples.
Stock/aftermarket heads, manifolds/headers, factory/aftermarket intakes and/or carburetion, rear gears/tire height, convertor stall, auto/4spd., etc. etc.

You'd have to bracket them up so they're comparable- apples to apples.
Stock/aftermarket heads, manifolds/headers, factory/aftermarket intakes and/or carburetion, rear gears/tire height, convertor stall, auto/4spd., etc. etc.
well.... :realcrazy:.... Naw... Let's just let them hash it out. One sentence of rules: 4 wheels, 2 doors or more, factory stroke, no more than .060 over, no power adders.

Yeah, and I think furrystump would have a "stock" bracket locked up.
What class does furrystump race? If it's F.A.S.T then there isn't much "stock", let me tell ya. They have B-bodies turning 9's in the 1/4... LOL. Also, we can throw out "stock eliminator"... LOL.. they aren't stock either. It's why you just run 'em heads up with my one sentence rule book.

Funny how it gets blown up from a comparison of basically stock engines into a no-holds barred shootout... :)
Who's got the deepest pockets?

Funny how it gets blown up from a comparison of basically stock engines into a no-holds barred shootout... :)
Who's got the deepest pockets?
No place in the OP's first post did he say anything about stock engines. Simply put, he said 340 or 360 and why.... It's everyone else that went down the "performance" trail. So I say "let's run 'em" ???

-
Back