340 or 360?

340 or 360?

• Total voters
-
Until you rip a 360 apart it's just a basic truck motor. There was no 360s back in the day that anyone even wanted to talk about. And yes if you rip it all apart and put parts in it you can make a hell of a small block but it's not really a 360 at that point if you're talking stroker. A 340 will always be a larger stroker so there goes that theory. And I know of several stock stroke 340s that kick strokers around sub 9 second motors. That would sting a little.

They put 340's into muscle cars, and 360's into Camper Vans......Need I say more?:lol:
I can put a set of Icon or DSS racing .080 over pistons in that camper van engine at zero deck with some good heads and it will run at least as good as a 391 mopar stroker with the same parts. All without the Stroker crank. That same 360 camper van engine is a 340 in disguise with a stronger block waiting for someone to bring it out. If it has the premium CD or BH casting truck crank, the crankshaft is as good as a forging. And I actually love a 340. Some of the quickest cars I have been in have been 340 powered. But for the $$$ and what’s available to me, it will be an early 360 for the win.

Last edited:
And here I am following this thread thinking I’ll actually learn about the differences between the two blocks. Silly me.

Just like any conversation at the firehouse, if it goes on long enough, it’ll turn into a **** show…but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

What do you want to know?
Well, basically the pros and cons of each block, what’s better for a daily performance, what’s better for street/strip, what’s better for reliability? I understand components play a huge role here, but as a newbie, why would someone choose one block over another for any given application?

Not only what’s better, but why is it better? No opinions, just facts and numbers.

Well, basically the pros and cons of each block, what’s better for a daily performance, what’s better for street/strip, what’s better for reliability? I understand components play a huge role here, but as a newbie, why would someone choose one block over another for any given application?

Six of one half dozen of the other. 340 usually forged, shot peened, forged crank, small journals, floating pin forged rods, and internally balanced. 4.040 inch standard bore with all the good stuff from the factory. 360 is a cast crank, large journal, pressed pin forged rods and externally balanced, 4.000 standard bore. Both had the good heads, not really much difference if built the same. Of course you can do the same with 318's and 273's and they will run very well also. Reliability is a factor of build, stress, usage and maintenance. All Chrysler engines are long haul, overbuilt engines. We have a 273 with 300,000 miles on it and it still starts and runs like new. It was never babied. What do you want in a car?

Until you rip a 360 apart it's just a basic truck motor. There was no 360s back in the day that anyone even wanted to talk about.
Well, yes and no- the 360 never really achieved "legendary" status in the Mopar world, but there were performance versions available that were actually pretty decent. The E58 (cop) and EH1 (LRT) used a lot of the 340's upgrades, but lacked the 340's higher compression. Still, they were no slouch.
And a case can be made for the '88-'92 360- The LA roller motor. Yes, a truck motor and not a "performance" engine per se; it was handicapped by the early attempt at a TBI system and a rather blase cam, but every one of these I've had apart used windage trays and decent flowing (308) heads among other HD parts, making them an excellent basis for an LA build.

The 340 is truly a small block Legend...others can be built to outperform it, but it's still a Legend. To some people that means a lot, to others it means little to nothing. It's for the person paying the bills to decide. :usflag:

Six of one half dozen of the other. 340 usually forged, shot peened, forged crank, small journals, floating pin forged rods, and internally balanced. 4.040 inch standard bore with all the good stuff from the factory. 360 is a cast crank, large journal, pressed pin forged rods and externally balanced, 4.000 standard bore. Both had the good heads, not really much difference if built the same. Of course you can do the same with 318's and 273's and they will run very well also. Reliability is a factor of build, stress, usage and maintenance. All Chrysler engines are long haul, overbuilt engines. We have a 273 with 300,000 miles on it and it still starts and runs like new. It was never babied. What do you want in a car?
I understand the importance to note forged vs cast cranks, but why is it important to note large vs small journals? Serious question, I'm learning here.

Until you rip a 360 apart it's just a basic truck motor. There was no 360s back in the day that anyone even wanted to talk about. And yes if you rip it all apart and put parts in it you can make a hell of a small block but it's not really a 360 at that point if you're talking stroker. A 340 will always be a larger stroker so there goes that theory. And I know of several stock stroke 340s that kick strokers around sub 9 second motors. That would sting a little.
yeah, well, kind-a sort-a.... 360 from a little red express, or a E58 police package...

Well, yes and no- the 360 never really achieved "legendary" status in the Mopar world, but there were performance versions available that were actually pretty decent. The E58 (cop) and EH1 (LRT) used a lot of the 340's upgrades, but lacked the 340's higher compression. Still, they were no slouch.
And a case can be made for the '88-'92 360- The LA roller motor. Yes, a truck motor and not a "performance" engine per se; it was handicapped by the early attempt at a TBI system and a rather blase cam, but every one of these I've had apart used windage trays and decent flowing (308) heads among other HD parts, making them an excellent basis for an LA build.

Mmmmmm 308 heads. Now there’s something we should start a post about.

I understand the importance to note forged vs cast cranks, but why is it important to note large vs small journals? Serious question, I'm learning here.
Large journals have more bearing surface, and a larger circumference- so in each revolution they travel a greater distance. Greater bearing surface + farther distance traveled = greater cumulative friction. For most of our usage, it's meaningless though.

Okay, if I wanted to make the most low end power out of a small block, which would be best? In this scenario I'm talking about light to light driving, having fun, no track time.

yeah, well, kind-a sort-a.... 360 from a little red express, or a E58 police package...
:rofl:well you guys kill me keep drinking the Kool-Aid LOL yeah I'd love to see that against a 68 four-speed 340 barracuda that would be close not!

-
Back