340 price

-

713404spd

Reaction score
Say you hada chance to buy a 71 model 340. That was disassembled for inspection it was standard bore and had a later model cast crank and a set of aawj 360 heads And the motor is complete other than intake and exhaust manifolds. And everything checked out good. What would u pay for it?

I see them advertised all the time for 8 to 12 hundred.

I have a similar 340 with a 68 block and a later crank, and a set of X heads. It's running now and I expect to get about this. I am selling it as a running core.

Here is a rebuilt one with extras local to me could be had for $750 I bet.

CL ad from June

5F45H95J93I53J33Ndc6bbe0ac8e4cdbe1601.jpg

It's missing the good heads, the best factory 340 intake made, and the best factory exh manifolds made. Plus it's apart, and has a cast crank. I wouldnt pay more than 3-400 for it. It's only a usable cast crank core 340 at best. A complete minus carb '71 340, in running form, is closer to $1200. This ones been run hard and the best parts are missing.

Just an FYI this is my brothers motor. I haven't seen it but I can go look at it. Whatever he says it is it is.

I plan to go look at it Monday. I haven't made my mind up on if I want it or not. I have a 71 duster that would be perfect for it. And that was the only 2 reasons that I was skeptical was bc of the later heads and crank

If his number is listed give him a call midday tomorrow. He will be more then willing to talk about it and give what details he can. If you don't get it I am tempted to buy it myself.

I have been talking to him some and plan to go up there Monday. Are you from around here too?

Yes I was born and raised in Marshall County but I live in NC now. I am just visiting since I just got back from Iraq and I am on leave. I am active duty Army. I am the one that on here that was just robbed while on vacation.

I wouldn't let the heads or crank stop me. A 2.02 valve 915 head is nearly the X heads equal even with small valves it is not a bad performer. some prefer the small valve head. your not buying the engine to be anything but a 340. if the price was right. STD bore 340's are not common. I'd say 7 to 1200 as was stated if it were an earlier block it could fetch more since the 67-9 casting blocks are apparently more desirable.

Im sorry to hear about your luck. I was born and raised in graves county. A good friend of my fathers is from Marshall county. Do you know David Anderson?

Don't know why everybody gets a hard on for "AAWJ" it means nothing except where the heads came from. I've torn down 318 two barrel motors with that casting. Look at moper's post. That's the truth. Other than the block itself, there's nothin special about that buy AT ALL.

That's what I was thinking stroker. I was saying that the heads being the later casting was a bad thing. Just Incase I ever sold it to a numbers guy in the future. I was just curious what would be a fair deal on it

I picked one up similar to the one your looking at except it was a 69 casting .060 KB pistons with 69 intake balanced and a never fired rebuild it had 587 heads with all new valves, springs etc for 1,600.
I also have a fresh 68 casting 340 I picked up a couple months ago .030, forged pistons and crank, DC .528 solid cam, ported x heads double springs, titanium retainers etc, milodon oil pan and offy intake I paid 1100 for it completely assembled as a risk since he wasn't sure what was in the engine or how old it was either. I consider that a gamble turned into a good deal. id say it might have 1 to 2k miles on it tops.

-
Back