340 Problems

-

mormanman

Reaction score
I have a 65 Barracuda with a 340 originally with a 273. My problem is that I can't get the oil pan off. I've unbolted everything and broken the gasket seal. The headers were in the way, so i took those off. Now I think its call the tension bar it connects the the wheels in some sort of way. Its approximately 2 1/2 ft long with two places for nuts and bolts on both sides and I can't figure out how it will come off if i unbolt it. Its so awkward.

Off topic question, I've heard that a 5.7l Mopar is the same as a 340 Mopar. I need to know because I'm looking to make my 340 a Hemi.

Thanks.

the drag link needs to come off if you are removing the pan while the engine is in the car...

the new hemi is nothing like the 340

1st of all nothing from the 340 will fit or interchange on the 5.7 hemi,,

there was a guy building real hemi heads for a 340,but they were so pricey i guess he didnt survrive,,

the part you are talking about im guessing runs from side to side under your oil pan ?? that is called the drag link,,it is connected to the pitman arm,,on the steering box and the ideler arm on the oppsite side,,with a nut holding them in place,,you will need to unbolt it,,and pry it apart,,either use a pickel fork, or a torch and small sledge hammer,,

or remove the pitman arm from the steering box,,and the ideler arm,,and let it drop down,,this wil give you enough room to remove the oil pan,,,

first look and see if the engine isnt sitting on the drag link,,,if it is,,one of 2 things is wrong,, either old sagging motor mounts,, ot the drag link is a slant six cylinder drag link,,the motor should not be sitting on it but will be very close in normal operation

why are you removing the oil pan ?

I'm removing the oil pan to make sure that the oil pump went out. I was driving it around and the crank started knocking.

Thanks.

Well what else would be knocking? I'm not going to lie I'm pretty new at all this. My mom won't fund any of it and I don't live with my dad and to be honest I know more than my dad already.

I would say get it out of the car. Get as much of the fluids out of it as you can. Pull the oil pan off. Look for obvious damage first, ie: loose connecting rod, metal flakes in a particular area. If nothing is obvious, start taking main caps off one at a time, making sure you maintain the orientation of each cap. If you don't see a problem reinstall the cap and move to the next one. HINT: start at the back cap first. If you don't see any problems do the same with the connecting rod caps. Problems that you might see are grooves in the bearings or crank journal or a spun bearing. Get back to us with what you find.

Hope this helps

Jack

I always start looking for knocks by pulling plug wires one at a time while it's running. That'll tell you if it's a rod, and which cylinder. But I guess it's too late for that.
From your original post, I'd say you need help. If you can't i.d. a drag link, you shouldn't be inside an engine without help.
Take your time and do it right. Learn FIRST!

I'm planning on taking the cylinder heads off tomorrow and am looking for the torquing pattern. Just a refreshers, its a 340 with J heads. The guy I got it from says 2.02 exhaust valves but I think its 2.02 intake. (I learned that from you guys.)
Thanks guys. I'm working on getting a hoist and stand. Found a hoist just need to get a chain for it and then find a stand. Unless you have any tips on working on it w/o a stand.

I'm not sure, I can't tell a difference. Its a good question.
Is the SRT 10 a Hemi? I don't think it is but I can't tell.

They are all called hemis. 5.7, 6.1 are both called that. The viper engine is a wedge style IIRC, that's the SRT10. If the engine knocks the engine will need to come out. It's easier than tearing the centerlink off now, and less messy leaving the pan in place for now. I would get your hands on a service manual. It's much easier than trying to repair everything that gets cut, broken, or dropped and lost when you have never done it before. Patience is the key.

Would your Dad be willing to help you? (a side bar.. mine didnt want to)

I know more than my dad believe it or not and my parents aren't together, I live with my mom.

Ah ok. You might want to try to find a local guy to give you pointers too. Sometimes a knock isnt the engine. Like a flexplate bolt loosening up or something. If you're inexperienced (or have a good background sometimes) they sound very similar and from the same place...

But like i can feel it. Its like the whole car will move just a little. Its not a tick. (I'm just making sure we are all on the same page.)

-
Back