340 Rad Hose Collapsing

-

DadsNewToy

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1970 340 Duster. My issue is when the rpms reaches about 3,000 I hear a horrible screeching noise. Under the hood and watching as I raised the revs I noticed the lower rad hose collapses at about the 3 grand mark resulting in the sound I hear. I'm hoping it's as simple as replacing the hose with something stiffer. But worried it is something more complicated like the water pump. Any help would be appreciated.:protest:

Could be a restricted radiator. Have you run it enough........does it run hot on hot days?

I bought it in October. Haven't been many hot days since then. lol But no, I haven't drove very often or hard.

Put a spring in the lower hose to prevent it from collapsing. Old days, the spring came with the lower hose....

Badsport mentioned a good idea once...if no spring use a coat hanger.
Acrually now that I read that he's had good ideas more than once...lol. :glasses7:

I have questions about this idea. The spring is stainless. Coat hangers are not. I think it will rust away in there. Stick to the spring. It's cheap,and it's what belongs there.

If you're going to the trouble of draining the radiator to install a lower hose spring, I would certainly have the radiator checked....

Dug out the rad from the 73 Duster I had. Still had the lower hose on it and sure enough it had the spring inside it. Going to insert it into the 70 Duster hose tomorrow if it doesn't rain. Thanks for the help guys!

Well the hose spring solved one problem just not the problem I originally wrote about. A weird screeching noise I get at 3000 rpm. Pulled the fan belt off and the noise went away. So I'm thinking this narrows it down to the water pump or power steering pump. Sound seems to be right at the front of the engine though. Never did a water pump before. How big a job is it? Any tips?

Glad you are getting it figured out. Sounds like water pump to me. Its pretty straightforward to re n re.
Dbl chk that it isn't a loose fan belt. Slightly loose belt will squeal.
If you can do it safely with another person put a pipe to water pump and use as a listening aid.

water pump or power steering?? ls not the water pump and alternator on 1 belt, and the steering on another belt

Nope. The alternator and AC compressor have 2 belts together. Then the fan/water pump and power steering are on one.

The alt bearings will squeel, as will a worn A/C clutch,, try to install one set of belts then the other to help isolate the sound..

hope it helps

-
Back