340 rebuild recomendations

-

Mopower71

Speed Demon
Reaction score
I have the 340 that came out of my Demon. It was sick and needs to be redone. I would like to retain the lower end. and this rebuild won't happen today, but I would like to have a direction
13-1 compression, 6qt oil pan, .525 solid cam, crane roller rockers. X heads that are suppose to be ported, but no flow numbers. Edelbrock Torker II 340, that is junk due to po hogging it out to much and now you can see 1/8 of the head where it meets the ports. Had an 850 dp with 84 jets and 5.5 power valves.
The valves were leaking real bad,62% leak down in one cyl and just a bit better in others. Compression was 225psi +/- 3 across the engine. It also needs new rings as the endgaps were over .025"
Should I go with another Edelbrock Torker II 340, and should I keep the .525 cam, or should I replace them with something else? Like a .590" cam
I have a 4500 stall converter and a choice of 4:10 spool, 4.56 or 4.88 sure grips. Right now it has 325x50x15 BFG's on it, 27.8" tall. I will be getting new slicks for it. Probably 28x9 or 28x10.
Need some opinions on intake and cam to go with the compression.

The Demon has a fiberglass hood and front bumper. Full interior, with a racing bucket for the driver. 20 gal fuel cell, and the old one removed. The battery is in the trunk.
Has a 12pt cage, sub frame connectors. Stock springs with Cal-Tracs. 727 transmission.
I have not weighed the car but figure it's not real light with all the add on's

How fast are you looking to run?

what kind of budget you got?

Hoping not to spend a fortune.
The bottom end I only need to re-ring.
Just looking for cam (solid flat tappet) and intake selection to go with the 13-1 comp.
Right now with the Big block it should run mid 11's.
The lighter 340 with higher compression I would hope would go quicker with the right cam/intake choice.

I am freshening up my 360 that was in my bracket/street car. My combo is similar to yours and I went with the .620 Mopar solid and a Super Victor from Edelbrock. I have yet to run it so I dont know how it runs....yet. Just thought I would share my thoughts with you. By the way my motor is 11.12 to 1 and has a set of J heads that flow 275 on the intake and 190 exhaust at .600 lift. It ran mid 11s at 116mph in a 3440 pound swinger with a 904. Im hoping to improve.

I have the 340 that came out of my Demon. It was sick and needs to be redone. I would like to retain the lower end. and this rebuild won't happen today, but I would like to have a direction
13-1 compression, 6qt oil pan, .525 solid cam, crane roller rockers. X heads that are suppose to be ported, but no flow numbers. Edelbrock Torker II 340, that is junk due to po hogging it out to much and now you can see 1/8 of the head where it meets the ports. Had an 850 dp with 84 jets and 5.5 power valves.
The valves were leaking real bad,62% leak down in one cyl and just a bit better in others. Compression was 225psi +/- 3 across the engine. It also needs new rings as the endgaps were over .025"
Should I go with another Edelbrock Torker II 340, and should I keep the .525 cam, or should I replace them with something else? Like a .590" cam
I have a 4500 stall converter and a choice of 4:10 spool, 4.56 or 4.88 sure grips. Right now it has 325x50x15 BFG's on it, 27.8" tall. I will be getting new slicks for it. Probably 28x9 or 28x10.
Need some opinions on intake and cam to go with the compression.

I would use the 4.88 gear, and a custom solid ft cam. I would like to see you running around 256@ .050 on a 106lca.
Intake I would use is a victor with a 1" tapered spacer.
Brian

I am freshening up my 360 that was in my bracket/street car. My combo is similar to yours and I went with the .620 Mopar solid and a Super Victor from Edelbrock. I have yet to run it so I dont know how it runs....yet. Just thought I would share my thoughts with you. By the way my motor is 11.12 to 1 and has a set of J heads that flow 275 on the intake and 190 exhaust at .600 lift. It ran mid 11s at 116mph in a 3440 pound swinger with a 904. Im hoping to improve.

JMO, but that cam is way too big for a 360 and 11:1...I would use something lesser than that....
Brian

JMO, but that cam is way too big for a 360 and 11:1...I would use something lesser than that....
Brian

Since this cam doesn't come with a cam card or any info on it except advertised duration and LSA, I was wondering if you had more info or have used this cam before? I was using an Ultradyne solid FT that was custom ground for nitrous, since that was what I originally built the motor for. It was 242 @ .050 intake .540 lift and 250 @ .050 exhaust .557 lift on a 112 LSA. It seemed to make broader power than some of the other cams I have run, but didn't have the strong surge of power some of the other cams I have run. It seems I am always going conservative on cams and thought this cam would suit my needs. What would you run?

If the mopar 590 cam is about 265 @.050...the 620 cam is probably pushing close to 270 duration at .050....

dont have one to check the duration on ...but couple of .590 i have used were pretty close to that 265...

Thanks, AAR. I think I am going to try it and if I dont like it I can always change it. I am running a 8 inch converter with a low gear 999 and 4.56s. So maybe just maybe it will RPM and take advantage of that cam.

watch and listen...Nelsons Nasty 441 on drugs ( just a thought)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoe0-WhnX6Q"]YouTube - Tom Nelson demos a Nasty Nitrous 441 SBC. NRE.[/ame]

Mopower. I cannot say this enough. Build a strong bottom end. The bottom end is like the foundation of a building.Weak,it will collapse.Strong it will last a long time.

P2806077 I think that's the ones you need. Good to .610" lift.

-
Back