340 Ring Gap Question...

-

694spd

Reaction score
I'm working on my original 10,000 mile standard bore 340 motor for my Dart. My plan is to just have the block re-honed then reinstall the original pistons with a new set of standard rings that I have. I reinstalled each of the original compression rings back into their original bores to see what their end gaps were before honing and was surprised to find them to be somewhat on the large size. Between .022" and .026"
I then checked the ring end gaps on a couple of the new rings and found them to be also in the same range as the original ones. What would be the maximum end gap for street motor? I don't really want to go out and buy a new set of file fit rings.

With Respects Sir,

Could You post taper measurements Cyl To Cyl ?--
Dial bore gauge, or Telescoping Gauge & Mic measurements.

& The Ring MFGR?

<s>Thx !</s>

I've gotten away with a .026" gap on a street build before with no problems...

Total seal gapless file fit piston rings are worth every penny.

With Respects Sir,

Could You post taper measurements Cyl To Cyl ?--
Dial bore gauge, or Telescoping Gauge & Mic measurements.

& The Ring MFGR?

<s>Thx !</s>

Here is the amount of taper that I had measure using a dial bore gauge.

1- .0013
2- .0018
3- .0006
4- .0012
5- .0012
6- .0014
7- .0013
8- .0010

As for the rings that I have. They are a low cost set of Hastings Moly Rings #694 Their installation instructions only address a minimum end gap concern.

A rule of thumb is .004 x bore size (4.040) = .016 I would also suggest a new set of rings.

What's piston to wall clearance ?

Piston to wall clearance measurements that I came up with are as follows.

1- .0032
2- .0039
3- .0029
4- .0037
5- .0030
6- .0031
7- .0030
8- .0033

These measurement are based the diameter of the piston just below the oil ring and the widest inside diameter of their respective cylinder.

I know what the ideal ring gap should be. I just wonder if I will have any issues with the wider gap that I'm facing with the standard rings that I have.

-
Back