340 Six Pack Engine Specs

-
Be forewarned, the throttle bodies are very tight to the shafts, You must barely snug them down when installing the outboards or the shafts will drag/bind. This leads to the
front & rear not working in unison. And the next issue is the jetted metering plates, use the thickest bowl gaskets You can, because they won't tell You,......but the float toes
will make contact with the thicker design metering plates. This leads to erratic flooding &/or fuel starvation, after having discovered this, ProMax said,"Oh Yeah, that happens
all the time". But My Customer had sent them back to ProMax twice because of a fuel issue and they said nothing. It won't show on the dyno because the movement & fuel
sloshing shifts the float fore & aft contributing to the interference's erratic behavior. The pieces are nice quality, but You need to be aware of these things.
wow...I'm glad you posted this, for the price they charge there should be no issues. Maybe I'll just keep it factory Holley...

So I heard from Ken today from Oregon Cam grind, his exact words were, "I am convinced that the cam you are looking for never existed." ie P/N 2899205.
:O
Well, if He has krazykuda's program from the repop He sent, it would be under the "P" P/N I posted above as it was a Direct Connection Purple Shaft re-issue of the OE
'68 4spd stick. He may not have a record of it, but He still has the program, or the P/N was mis-typed and it is sequential w/the std. 340 cam# ending in(6).
And it could be under the #from the company who made them for chrysler, so....................
As far as the ProMax stuff, the rear throttle body has the most value in being able to adj the idle mix mounted & running, without a doubt a big plus. I'm not saying don't,
I'm just making You aware that You'll need to be attentive. If Your setup isn't straying from stock by much, the jetting will probably be OK, unless You kill the heat cross-
over completely. Then You're going to have to jet up to cover the cold intake lean shift.

............P/N 2899205

maybe 2899206..........
upload_2017-11-28_10-22-50.png

Here is exactly what he wrote:
Mike

I am convinced that the cam you are looking for never existed. I have a grind that was supposed to be the ‘205’ cam that a customer send to us. The spec’s are close but not exactly what the book spec’s are.

221/227 @ .050”, 276/309 adv (.006”), .438”/.456” lift, 112 lobe sep

According to your specs the lobe sep would be 114 with an intake center line of 112. We can grind the cam with 114 lobe sep to match your spec.

We can make a reground cam for $79 exchange ($25 core) or a new one for $159. We have new hydraulic lifters for $52.64 per set.

Thanks

Ken
1-800-539-9165

Mike

I am convinced that the cam you are looking for never existed. I have a grind that was supposed to be the ‘205’ cam that a customer send to us. The spec’s are close but not exactly what the book spec’s are.

According to your specs the lobe sep would be 114 with an intake center line of 112. We can grind the cam with 114 lobe sep to match your spec.

We can make a reground cam for $79 exchange ($25 core) or a new one for $159. We have new hydraulic lifters for $52.64 per set.

Thanks

Ken
1-800-539-9165
I"m thinking that whatever was sent was a "205" replacement cam from MOPAR. But looking at the cam duration 276/309, it just doesnt sound right.
This was supposed to be the "205" specs:
276°/284° duration

.444"/.453" lift

Int open: 26° BTDC

Int close: 70° ABDC

Exh open: 78° BBDC

Exh close: 26° ATDC

Overlap: 52°

Per the 68 factory service manual...

Good grief Heavens no, that's waaay big for stock,////////////
You listed is the biggest Hyd. Purple Shaft Mopar sold,LOL!!!
Yes!
////////
No! There are several WAY FREAKIN bigger Purple Hyd. Cams. Drag and oval track.

Mike

Thanks

Ken
1-800-539-9165

Well, if He has krazykuda's program from the repop

Remind George of the cam that he made for George Abel, we worked on this between March 9 2016 and April 2016...

Attachments

• Final comparison 340 cams.pdf
    38.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Ken Heard cams.pdf
    850.8 KB · Views: 165
Remind George of the cam that he made for George Abel, we worked on this between March 9 2016 and April 2016...
That’s a lot of cam duration! I don’t think I’d have much engine vacuum to operate to six pack carbs!?

I'm experimenting with ceramic heaters to utilize the factory choke without using the heat cross over. It will fully open the choke in under 4min. Of course it needs to be properly mounted, this was just for testing. :)

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

Yes!
////////
No! There are several WAY FREAKIN bigger Purple Hyd. Cams. Drag and oval track.
Maybe in the newer line? The only larger hydraulic that isn't a roller is the 320/.533" stick, which is an all-out competition unit, definitely not recommended for any street car. And not for any circle track 1/2 mile and under...........................................

While I don’t have my Mopar performance bookIn front of me, I can if you want, missed the cams little larger than that for both dragon circle track. Not a big deal. It’s nice to know information.

-
Back