340 six pack hood closing clearance?

-

J.B.

Reaction score
Does anyone have a 340 six pack under their Dart, Duster, or Demon? I have a 1971 Dodge Demon 340 and just acquired a six pack intake manifold and will be adding that to my 340 build before i drop her in the engine bay and wanted to know if there are any hood closing clearance issues?

IMG_8010.jpeg

They are a very tall intake but I dont think its any taller than an air gap. I know an air gap fits under a dart hood. Have one on both of my darts and one even has a spacer too.

Search this legendary members threads. He had a 6 pack in his Cúda. I miss that fella and his wife, he was a good man and a rabid MoPar guy. He would work on anything and did so in a hot rod shop for a while before he passed on. His wife was very funny and a super nice person. I hope and pray she is doing well.

FASTBACK340

Edit; This thread shows the installed 6 pack and air cleaner used.

Cuda Capers: 4-20-08

Last edited:
NOT a six pack!

(Running and ducking for cover!!!!!)

Looks nice! Late year MoPar M1 w/a Holley and a unsilenced air cleaner. Is it a drop base?
LOL, the intent was I'm pretty sure the M1 is taller than the 6 pack intake. Air cleaner is OE factory.

Indeed! I don’t know if it’s taller. I’ll have to see for myself being I have both. IDK myself.

No it will not fit you'll have to send it to me! LOL Just kidding.... I have no idea but I will take off your hands :lol:

I just won that damn thing off ebay for 1,300
When you find out let me know how close it is. I'm about to put a 400 six pack in a 67 Cuda and was wondering how well that will fit.

I asked the same question a while back regarding my Demon. Consensus was that it would fit, but the standard 6 pack air cleaner would have to be clearanced (cut) if you have a 2 speed wiper motor.

I asked the same question a while back regarding my Demon. Consensus was that it would fit, but the standard 6 pack air cleaner would have to be clearanced (cut) if you have a 2 speed wiper motor.
i would have to cut air cleaner? I can very easily just get single speed wiper motor if that makes a difference

Does anyone have a 340 six pack under their Dart, Duster, or Demon? I have a 1971 Dodge Demon 340 and just acquired a six pack intake manifold and will be adding that to my 340 build before i drop her in the engine bay and wanted to know if there are any hood closing clearance issues?

View attachment 1716183722
If this air cleaner is used the hood brace will hit it where the dark blue is in this pic you need to clearance the hood brace

20231227_171647.jpg

i would have to cut air cleaner? I can very easily just get single speed wiper motor if that makes a difference
The 2 speed motor points into the engine compartment, whereas the 3 speed/variable motor lays flat against the firewall allowing for the clearance......Of course, that depends on the air cleaner you select. The cleaner above will need to be clearanced for a 2 speed wiper motor as well.

My brother has a six pack on his 1973 Duster with NO hood clearance issues at all anywhere. He did have a 2 speed wiper motor and had to change over to the 3 speed motor. Bobby

Edelbrock used to have something on their web page that compared intake height for all of their manifolds and stock intakes. That should tell you the difference

By the way there is no factory 6-pack hood for a Demon since Chrysler never offered the motor in an A-body. Mr. Norms refitted 6 pack intakes on their GSS cars and got them to fit... Are you referring to an aftermarket fiberglass hood?
Even the scooped hoods were no different than a flat stock hood except for the holes.

Edelbrock used to have something on their web page that compared intake height for all of their manifolds and stock intakes. That should tell you the difference

By the way there is no factory 6-pack hood for a Demon since Chrysler never offered the motor in an A-body. Mr. Norms refitted 6 pack intakes on their GSS cars and got them to fit... Are you referring to an aftermarket fiberglass hood?
Even the scooped hoods were no different than a flat stock hood except for the holes.
Multiple companies sell a demon/duster 6 pack hood

IMG_8019.png

FWIW, mines a 440, but a shaker base plate only needed a slight bend to "accommodate".

1703772600032.png

As far as the hood brace in my '69, there's just a hint of love.....

1703773269732.png

Rather than cut hood bracing, one could fab 1/4" spacers to lower the K-frame and gain a bit of clearance.

All cars are not the same. I put six packs on 5 A Bodies and like I and someone else posted above 4 worked fine.
Nothing a little help never fixed.
BTW the intake you have is of the last runs of Mopar ones made.

-
Back