340 stock manifold to header adapter question

-
TTi makes headpipes for the 340 manifolds, but they don't have collector flanges on them. You could add the flanges to the headpipes or leave them off the exhaust system and just hook them up with slipjoints.
They're kinda pricey for what they are, though. I would think a local exhaust shop should be able to fix you up a little cheaper.
Exhaust_Parts

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I actually have TTI head pipes coming, but work schedule/logistics won't allow that to happen for a few weeks, but I do have the Summit kit I mentioned. Would this Walker piece work?
Walker Exhaust 41725 Walker Universal Ball Flanges | Summit Racing
That's a two-bolt ball flange, the exhaust kit uses three-bolt flanges- no go.
You could try a collector adapter like these:
ReducerAdapters
1713840479263.png

(I just used TTi's site for reference, I'm sure they're available elsewhere, too)
Honestly, I'd just leave the flanges off the exhaust system and see if you can hook the new TTi headpipes up directly to the Summit exhaust- they're both 2 1/2" pipes.

I wonder if you could get a local muffler shop to whoop you up something?

Accurate exhaust should have stock head pipes also. They are 1 7/8 inch I believe probably not ideal for a header application you'd probably want to go 2 inch up to 2 1/4 or 2 1/2...

Steve, if you have time to wait on your down pipes that fit the manifolds, maybe an exhaust shop could make you a flange to mate the 2 temporarily. If you have the flexibility to move the pipes a little bit on the run stand, you may be able to just buy a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch pipe adapter at the parts house to mate the 2 pipes long enough to run the motor in. When we ran my 273 on the dyno, an exhaust shop close by made me an adapter so we could hook the dyno to my headers that I took to use. He made it out of 2 pieces of 3" pipe and two old 3" flanges that had the 3 bolt pattern. Worked really well.

Thanks guys, I have the "header back" kit sitting here(tti head pipes here in a couple weeks). The kit has the typical 3 hole flanges and pipes that mount to header collector.
With stock manifolds and head pipes, why can't he use what he's got? Or, weld them up without them?

Steve, try Nappa if you have one close or, Princess Auto. They have a lot of this stuff.

Cheers!

Steve, if you have time to wait on your down pipes that fit the manifolds, maybe an exhaust shop could make you a flange to mate the 2 temporarily. If you have the flexibility to move the pipes a little bit on the run stand, you may be able to just buy a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch pipe adapter at the parts house to mate the 2 pipes long enough to run the motor in. When we ran my 273 on the dyno, an exhaust shop close by made me an adapter so we could hook the dyno to my headers that I took to use. He made it out of 2 pieces of 3" pipe and two old 3" flanges that had the 3 bolt pattern. Worked really well.

20240423_094115.jpg

20240423_094126.jpg

20240423_094218.jpg

Now I see what your needing to do! You could see if an exhaust shop has some 2 1/4" two hole flanges that will bolt to your manifolds, and get them to weld you a piece of pipe to them in a way that you could hook to them. Places that do exhaust work always have stuff like that in a scrap pile. You could take an exhaust manifold with you to see if they have something to match. I think (?) the flanges are the same on both drivers and passenger sides of the manifolds.

Now I see as well. lol. Someone sells the 2 front pipes. I forget who. I have them on my ragtop
Exhaust_Parts lol again. someone already posted but read top of page. You tell them what maifolds you have.

Last edited:
I have tti headpipes coming in the next couple weeks.
I thought there might me a temporary(read cheap)solution so I could fire off in the next day or 2.
Now I see as well. lol. Someone sells the 2 front pipes. I forget who. I have them on my ragtop
Exhaust_Parts lol again. someone already posted but read top of page. You tell them what maifolds you have.

Oh! I misunderstood what you want to do- you want to temporarily hook the system up to the manifolds for a test stand?
In that case, you could use the type of ball flange that you referenced above, and just put an elbow on it to connect to the pipe/mufflers.
But to use a ball flange on a flat-flange 340 manifold, you'll need a seal similar to this:

The metal inner ring fits into the manifold outlet, and the lead sealing ring gives the ball flange something to seal to. A local muffler shop (or NAPA) should have appropriately sized ones.

1713881062867.png

I had a different issue. Had a set of Appliance headers back in the 70's, that had a reduction cone to 2", but I want a full 2.5 exhaust to the rear. I threw the cone in the trash and had a local shop weld the 4 bolt flange to the head pipe, to the rear. Now I had a full 2.5 exhaust and it was adjustable. In your case, I would have welded the stock flange to the head of your new exhaust system. A local shop will be best to do this for you.

Last edited:
-
Back