340 stroker build questions

-
I have a pretty good idea of what I want just don't have enough money to order all of the parts now. So my idea is to build the short block. Then come spring time when the money is rolling in do the rest.

Not saying you have to order all the part right now. But have a complete parts list of everything you need. Cam, heads, valvetrain, etc all picked out now. And that will give you time to shop and find good deals if they happen to pop up.

You mentioned 425 HP then 475-500 HP. For sure those are different cams. But might also warrant different valvetrain and heads (or head porting).

I think 9.9:1 or 10:1 compression with a smaller 425 HP cam might risk detonation on 91 octane. But with the bigger cam of a 475-500 HP not as much issue.

A 408 with a decent set of ede heads, air gap and voodoo 268 will make 475ish... Same with a set of RHS X heads.

No need for a roller cam if it's not in the budget.

You like hat voodoo 268 over the comp XE 268 or XE274? Seems to sit between the two of those?

You like hat voodoo 268 over the comp XE 268 or XE274? Seems to sit between the two of those?

It's a good cam. Seen one set up that way on Brians Dyno. Made 475-480ish IIRC which surprised everyone.

brian at imm has a killer set of lightly worked rhs heads at a good price ready to run that may fit your build good:blob: if you don't already have the eddies bought yet

Tell me about these heads are they LA or magnum.

I've been cleaning and prepping the block. Any ideas on cleaning the valley side water jackets?

its the indy /rhs heads there la heads with a minor port that flow 271 ready to go comes with bolts and gaskets, you can upgrade if necessary to springs and such, think there 1595 maybe or close to that , you would just have to call and see, if your set on aluminum mrl is doing a lot of work on the pro comps and mking a killer head to , not sure bout the price you just have to be in touch with him, its all according to what you want and the money you want to spend, both places are top notch , wont go wrong with either:D

I've been cleaning and prepping the block. Any ideas on cleaning the valley side water jackets?

Go to a store that sells firearms. (Walmart) Get a rifle cleaning kit and a shotgun cleaning kit. In the kit there are brass brushes of different sizes. If the brass brushes don't work well there are stainless brushes available individually. Diluted acid may help in addition to brushes.

Your best bet is not to buy until you have a plan, and the best idea for a plan is to work with your machinist.
As for my opinion - I'd run the RPMs, checked and corrected, a dished piston, stud the mains, blueprint the block, and run either a hydraulic or solid flat tappet around 240° duration @ .050 for the 425hp goal, and another 250°-260° duration @ .050 if you want more. If you plan to turbo it, plan at that time to change the camshaft too.

-
Back