340 ta block whats it worth

-
What's wrong with the bore? I'd bore it 40 more and not even look back. Most of them 340s would go 1/8" over and then some. How many of yall have ever sonic checked blocks and run a boring bar? I have. I'm here to tell you, the 340 and 71-73 360 are some THICK blocks.

My TA block was questionable @ .040 but used it and it held up well....there really are no thin or thick block years it's more about core shift .02 8)

Rickster

The 340TA blocks were service items as well. I bought a 340TA block from Kenny (Keith's son) Black back in the early '70s when I broke my 340 block through a lifter bore doing something stupid. Kenny and I were in the same National Guard unit back then.
When I went down to Keith's shop in South Gate, CA, to pick it up, Kenny pointed to a stack of 340TA blocks and said, "Pick out the one you want."
The 340TA blocks have a higher nickel content than standard 340 blocks and thicker oil pan rails - don't have the reliefs cast in the inside of the standard 340 block oil pan rails.

My TA block was questionable @ .040 but used it and it held up well....there really are no thin or thick block years it's more about core shift .02 8)

Rickster

Well then I guess all the hot rod mags and thousands of tech articles I've read over the years, not to mention the MANY blocks I've bored soniced and sleeved through the years are for squat. It's well documented the 340 and 71-73 360 blocks ARE thicker than any small block from 74-up. I've proven it on the boring bar. Let me give you this example and I'll leave it alone. I specifically remember sleeving a 340 block years ago. Depeding on who makes the sleeve, it can be pretty thick. The outside diameters are far from the same on all the different makes. Hell, two of the same part number can be different in O.D. by .060" or so. Typically, installing a sleeve requires boring a hole somewhere in the neighborhood of .100" - .150" over from wherever it is. This particular block I was REAL familiar with cause it was MINE outta my 1973 Rallye Charger. Yup, it was the numbers matchin 1973 date coded block. I ran it hot like an idiot when I was 17 and it overheated the small end of a connecting rod and a piston pin slid out and carved a notch in a cylinder wall. Snake Hogan was still teachin me the ins and outs of that Kwik Way borin bar so I got to do it myself. I remember takin over .125" outta that bore and just for kicks, the old man put the sonic checker on it. It still had almost .070" in the thinnest spot. He wasn't surprised though because he told me that the 340 was very thick because it was already basically .040" over from the start and they designed it and the early 360s the same way. That old dude knew his dookey when it came to machine work. He was a legend around here......especially with the Harley crowd. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with core shift, but with how those early small blocks were actually cast. If I'm not mistaken, those early LA 318s are the same way from like 67-73. That's why you can punch some of them out to a 4.00" bore and still have some left over. Lots of people have done that as well. Yeah, I agree 100% sonic checkin is a MUST, but I'm tellin you from first hand experience the early blocks are thicker.

dunno why your chose to equate the sex trade with engines.. but whatever floats your boat I guess.
oh, and btw.. if the buyer didn't like it, he didn't have to buy it. end of story.

cause it was frikkin funny. lighten up Frances.

its already 40 over??
yuck

What...!!
this is the thing that really gets me...bad info...There is NOTHING wrong with a 340 that has been bored .040/.060.
Where did this come from because I've sonic tested more good 340 blocks than I have 400's and I've never seen an ugly 340 thrust...now 400s that's something to make you cry.
There's no way that all the thick walled 340's in the world are in this town.I tested a min of 50-60 340 blocks and never come across something that even comes close to too thin to even think of using...
I wish some of the big blocks were half as good as any of the 340's I've sonic tested.
The 340 block that I have has a 4.100 bore with the thinest spot in any of the bores being .163.
This is an old wives tail...if I'm wrong please correct me.
Maybe someone who specializes in them might be of a different opionion...please chime in
Now 360's they are all over the place just like the big blocks but the venerable little 340 is a very stout piece.IMHO

...............the 340s were designed from the ground up 2 b a hi- performance engine.....they r superior in every aspect to any other engine than maybe a 426 hemi.................kim........

...............the 340s were designed from the ground up 2 b a hi- performance engine.....they r superior in every aspect to any other engine than maybe a 426 hemi.................kim........

WOW...learn something new...superior to any other engine except a 426 hemi...bold statement...LOL

Well then I guess all the hot rod mags and thousands of tech articles I've read over the years, not to mention the MANY blocks I've bored soniced and sleeved through the years are for squat. It's well documented the 340 and 71-73 360 blocks ARE thicker than any small block from 74-up. I've proven it on the boring bar. Let me give you this example and I'll leave it alone. I specifically remember sleeving a 340 block years ago. Depeding on who makes the sleeve, it can be pretty thick. The outside diameters are far from the same on all the different makes. Hell, two of the same part number can be different in O.D. by .060" or so. Typically, installing a sleeve requires boring a hole somewhere in the neighborhood of .100" - .150" over from wherever it is. This particular block I was REAL familiar with cause it was MINE outta my 1973 Rallye Charger. Yup, it was the numbers matchin 1973 date coded block. I ran it hot like an idiot when I was 17 and it overheated the small end of a connecting rod and a piston pin slid out and carved a notch in a cylinder wall. Snake Hogan was still teachin me the ins and outs of that Kwik Way borin bar so I got to do it myself. I remember takin over .125" outta that bore and just for kicks, the old man put the sonic checker on it. It still had almost .070" in the thinnest spot. He wasn't surprised though because he told me that the 340 was very thick because it was already basically .040" over from the start and they designed it and the early 360s the same way. That old dude knew his dookey when it came to machine work. He was a legend around here......especially with the Harley crowd. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with core shift, but with how those early small blocks were actually cast. If I'm not mistaken, those early LA 318s are the same way from like 67-73. That's why you can punch some of them out to a 4.00" bore and still have some left over. Lots of people have done that as well. Yeah, I agree 100% sonic checkin is a MUST, but I'm tellin you from first hand experience the early blocks are thicker.

My comment was regarding 340 TA Block Years.....have had quite a few.....maybe those I had just sucked.....not 318 reg 340 or 360 blocks 8)

Rickster

WOW...learn something new...superior to any other engine except a 426 hemi...bold statement...LOL

Especially with the 59* lifter angle... maybe not purpose built. The 340 was a revision of the existing LA engine. The TA block, another revision, did have some extra webbing, with the same crappy lifter angle.

Now if you want to talk about block that were purpose built, 48* R series, yes.

YMMV

My dream car is the yellow and black t/a challenger
Yeah, I knew where one was around here, yellow 4-speed. If I could only have talked her into letting go of it. The original engine was in the trunk with a spun bearing as I recall and it just sat under a tree for years. She wouldn't think of parting with it, had no plans to fix it up and just didn't want to hear about it. I lost track of her and she put the car in storage somewhere because she got tired of me going by.

sorry to say it was just a regular 340 block i didnt get it it had been sitting and the bores were gonna need boring again

probably has 340-6 cast on the driver side...

the -6 or any number after the dash represents the number of times the casting mole has been modified..

a TA block with have TA cast after the casting number

-
Back