340 timing issues.

-

dust-u

Reaction score
I could use some help here. I replaced the cam and heads on my 340. cam is straight up. verified # 1 when I installed the dist. heres my issue. cant find the timing marks to get it timed. already looked at # 6. not there. where have my timing marks gone????? any ideas?

Hi dust-u, You need to post this question in the Small Block Mopar section. Your currently in Mechanical Classifieds.

Remover your vacume advance plug the hole on carb also get a decreed timing light to dial it back mine only showed + Or - 10 deg with the cam depending on the size is going to be way differant I run mine at 25 + deg initial timing (Or base) advances at 2500 rpm

lets see.. the motor is original to the car.68 had the timing marks on the right side? right?

Do yourself a favor, Find #1 TDC compression with a piston stop. That's driver's side front. This should align your marks on the cover and balancer. If it doesn't then; either the balancer ring has slipped, or the key fell out during the install, or there is a mismatch of parts.

Have you had it running?

Do yourself a favor, Find #1 TDC compression with a piston stop. That's driver's side front. This should align your marks on the cover and balancer. If it doesn't then; either the balancer ring has slipped, or the key fell out during the install, or there is a mismatch of parts.

Have you had it running?

I have had it running.. .and even though its timed basically by ear. it runs ok. just rich. I did bring it up to #1 and the timing marks do line up on the balancer.i can make a piston stop but I believe my result will be the same

If it runs "OK", then you are probably between 10* and 30* advanced, at idle. If it doesn't rattle on light acceleration then you are probably between 10 and 20* advanced.
If it doesn't have any tip-in issues with a proper T-port sync, Then you are probably close to 12* advanced.

Now as to why your light can't prove it, IDK. Unless you also have an MSD ignition system, and you are using a dial-back lite . Those two are not compatible. And some tachs also interfere with the lite. And the obvious Question is; are you sure you got the firing order correct? 18436572; #1 is the drivers side front.

If it runs "OK", then you are probably between 10* and 30* advanced, at idle. If it doesn't rattle on light acceleration then you are probably between 10 and 20* advanced.
If it doesn't have any tip-in issues with a proper T-port sync, Then you are probably close to 12* advanced.

Now as to why your light can't prove it, IDK. Unless you also have an MSD ignition system, and you are using a dial-back lite . Those two are not compatible. And some tachs also interfere with the lite. And the obvious Question is; are you sure you got the firing order correct? 18436572; #1 is the drivers side front.

I do have a dial back light and the marks appear when the dial is turned to 40. but still off.i am running a 4 pin chevy module for ignition

I have a regular timing lite, I never thought about incompatibility

-
Back