340 vs 383

-
howco4 said:
I always been impressed when looking into an engine compartment that has a BB.... Howard

There is some added "cool" factor for sure. Especially in a smaller car.

Don't feel you need to follow the sb path if it's not what you want.

Hobby cars are all about what the owner wants. Why else would we build them?

If you want the BB then give'r.

I think what most of us are saying is; that it is more work, likely more money, and won't be much faster (if it is faster at all)
cheers

Hey I'm interested in that 383. Even more if it's a 1970! I'll sell my stroked 378/340 carb to pan. Its making around 475 or so. If you are on a budget, stick with the SB for sure.

Like my name says,small blocks rule....especially when you stroke them...build the 340.....

How reliable is a 340 when stroked? I have a core 340 that I hope to build up and I'm not sure what I want to do or should do. I know I want to go fast, lay some rubber and get as much power from it as possible but stay reliable on pump gas, money isn't really an obstacle, I'll be prepared to spend maybe $2500-4000.

It boils down to a engine builder that can build power. Period. "size doesnt matter".

The formula is (what you have for parts and starting point) + (what you can do or get yourself or for free) + (cost of parts to make the package work) / $$$ = desired result
I dont consider cruise night impressing ability when I designa powertrain...lol

IMO, a 3.58 stroke 383 will out power a 3.31 stroke 340 as a stoplight/cruise night car. A 3.58 stroke 360 will go one step further, and attach to everything the 318/340 did. So, you have a 340 core. You can sell it, buy a 360 done, and drop it in witha few minor tweaks. Or you can go thru the 383, build a tranny, and go with that. Same same really. You give me a hp number, I'll reach it assuming the $$ is there for the work required. Displacement is just a relative thing. A 4" stroke small block will out torque any std stroke 440 when built similarly.

No one mentioned the need for a different tranny when going to a BB. If $$ is an issue, then having to shell out $$ for a BB tranny thwarts the original premise. I say this 'cuase I have a 85 Fifth ave witha 318 and a built 440 in my garage beggin to be put between any fender wells. After looking at what it would take to convert to a BB, meaning linkage, tranny, driveshaft and cooling, I relented and decided to rebuild my 318...

Poof!

I agree with dave571 you have to do what makes you happy with your ride because it is your investment! My opinion I think it is so cool to beat a bigger motor in the 1/4 mile and then open the hood to show a stroker small block between the fenders that looks stock size especially the 340! It's a wolf in sheeps clothing and they will wonder how you beat them with the S.B. But once again go with your heart as long as your budget can handle the journey??

Man! I can't believe this debate is still going on. 340 vs 383 is an apples to oranges comparison. The 383 was used as a base engine for many muscle car applications. The 340, along with the 426 hemi, are the only 2 engines that Chrysler specifically designed for performance applications. That makes the 340 a very desirable engine. Collectors are catching on and in some cases, 340 cars have equaled or exceeded prices for 383 cars...or so it seems. You can get insane amounts of power out of both engines. However, you can stroke the 340 to a streetable 416" while taking the 383 to a livable 451". I sure their are more experienced engine builders on this forum that can add to this.

I, personally, like the 340 in an A-body. Theres not much room even with a small block. But if I had an E-body though, I would go big block, 383-440.

Thrashard340 said:
Man! I can't believe this debate is still going on. 340 vs 383 is an apples to oranges comparison. The 383 was used as a base engine for many muscle car applications. The 340, along with the 426 hemi, are the only 2 engines that Chrysler specifically designed for performance applications. That makes the 340 a very desirable engine. Collectors are catching on and in some cases, 340 cars have equaled or exceeded prices for 383 cars...or so it seems. You can get insane amounts of power out of both engines. However, you can stroke the 340 to a streetable 416" while taking the 383 to a livable 451". I sure their are more experienced engine builders on this forum that can add to this.

I, personally, like the 340 in an A-body. Theres not much room even with a small block. But if I had an E-body though, I would go big block, 383-440.
Abody, A engine.....LOL

reliable on pump gas, money isn't really an obstacle, I'll be prepared to spend maybe $2500-4000.[/QUOTE]

Is that amount for just the engine or the whole project? Big HP engine is for not if the rest of the parts are not up to it. Tranny, converter, rear end, fuel system, carb, pump and lines, cooling, distributor, ignition, it's a viscous circle in the HP world.
Big block in A body makes for scarry driving, braking and handling are out the window without, guess what? More $ thrown at it. Oh my, are we having fun yet!!

Like my friend says...there is nothing like a big block...except a big small block.

He had an 800+hp 434 smallblock chevy that would kick the crap out of big blocks at the track all day long. You thought the BB guys were gonna have a heart attack they saw a SB under his hood.

Personally I would stick with the 340 since you're set up for it. I love SBs because I like good handling cars and SPACE in my engine compartment. I would never bother with a BB in an A-body unless it was a 426. To me there is no wow factor unless it's a Hemi.

...but that is me.

superdart said:
Like my friend says...there is nothing like a big block...except a big small block.

He had an 800+hp 434 smallblock chevy that would kick the crap out of big blocks at the track all day long. You thought the BB guys were gonna have a heart attack they saw a SB under his hood.

That's beauty of a stroker small block. Big block cubes in a small block package. I will be going 400 + cube stroker on my next motor...no less. :burnout:

pagilman said:
:) Nothing rules like a big block A body, nothing, lts the closest thing to having a hemi. Wish I could have done it.!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

It's never to late to come to the dark side Pagilman. Oh, by the way, it's a load of crap when it's said that A bodies with BB's don't handle, that's what shocks and torsion bars are for. There I said it.

P9100004 (Custom).JPG

it's a load of crap when it's said that A bodies with BB's don't handle, that's what shocks and torsion bars are for. There I said it.[/QUOTE]

It just takes more money! They still dont handle well.

pagilman said:
:) Nothing rules like a big block A body, nothing, lts the closest thing to having a hemi. Wish I could have done it.!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Except a stroked small-block in a a-body... :thumbup:

I'd ask yourself what you intend to do with the car. If you are racing, BB all the way. If you want a good street car SBs have a lot going for them. My SB Duster is not nearlly as fast as my buds BB cars, but I can stop and turn better as well as get over 200 miles on a tank.

My $0.02 -LY

With factory discs up front and 10" drums out back stopping is not an issue, as far as turning and steering goes it's accomplished with "two" fingers. Now lets talk fuel mileage, Nah lets not, who cares cuss if I had to care I would have left the /6 in it. :poke:

Terry

-
Back