340 what to do

-

Streetsboro Rick

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Building a stroker for the Duster have a complete running 340 in it now it's the original motor for the car keep it or sell it ? Thoughts

I would keep the original and slowly rebuilt it. That way if you ever decided to sell the car, you could offer it with the original engine.

Engine is rebuilt with roughly 500 miles on it my problem is storage

That can be a problem in a smaller work place. I put one of my 360's on a 4 wheel dolly and slid it under some adjustable shelving by raising the bottom shelf. I store my Honda generator right next to it, so far it hasn't been a bother. I also have another on an engine stand. I can simply move it out of my way if I need that floor space temporarily.

You just have to be creative with your garage arrangement.
I have a 69 340 Swinger , 68 Barracuda , 2013 Acura , Maico 490 , Ktm 300 , BMW 650 Dakar , shelves of car parts , camping gear , MX gear , 3 bicycles , 4 sets of skis , a drill press , a hydraulic press and a full size tool box in my 900 sq ft garage … lol

Is this a real question? Are you seriously thinking about removing a numbers matching 340 and selling it.

If it's the numbers matching motor to your car, KEEP IT ! Even if it means taking it apart, storing the rotating assembly, top end and oil pan under the bed. Buy a piece of round glass to set on top of the block, and turn it up on the end and use it as a side table next to your recliner. Keep it in your possession or it will disappear.

It's a real question but maybe I bumped my head.....
Yes you did. So many original engines were pulled and not saved and now hundreds if not thousands are looking for those original engines to mate up with the cars they came in. Even if you never mate the car and it's original engine together, at least do the right think and keep them together. The next guy may want the two together.

Yes you did. So many original engines were pulled and not saved and now hundreds if not thousands are looking for those original engines to mate up with the cars they came in. Even if you never mate the car and it's original engine together, at least do the right think and keep them together. The next guy may want the two together.
How do I join Fabo gold ?

The 383 shown below is the original that came out of my 63' 330. It was swapped with a 440 sometime in the 80s. The prior owner hauled the original motor around for the better part of 40 years while he owned it. I came this close to selling it recently until the guys on the B-Body forum set me straight.

In the long run, you'll get more value selling the factory engine with the car than a replacement. After I came to my senses, I decided to keep it. And there it sits, in a corner partially covered by my welding table. Haha

20230711-112314.jpg

20230701-101517.jpg

Numbers matching…340, find room! 360, 5.9, 4.7, 318, t-case, welder, heads, hoist. Don’t remember what’s in the boxes. Transmissions are in the shed.

IMG_0026.jpeg

id sell it
that 340 will pretty close to fund a 408 build

to me, the whole numbers matching thing is over rated
i could see if we were talking about a wing car or something experimental
but a duster?

those were throw away cars from the get go

-
Back